Ordering directly from Japan in current climate

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soigne_west

Reaction score
Ive been apprehensive about making a couple of purchases from overseas, especially Japan giving their shipping restrictions. I’ve currently been waiting on a knife from Australia for a month and a half. Anybody ordered anything directly from Japan recently? What was your experience?

Ordered a TF direct, think it hit the post office in Tokyo to come to US on April 20th, haven't had an update since then.

I had sent 2knives from AUS to US, first one took me 9days second one 21days. Processing time takes longer these days because of the new regulation in AUS but the US post also one of the factor as well.
I have shipment waiting from watanabe just need a green light from ems japan, they are “picky” with the parcel shipment depending on the destination country.

EMS usually takes 3-4 days to CA.
Now it can take more than three weeks!
Problem is much fewer flights out of JP, so Japan Post can't get packages on planes.

JCK recommends using DHL and offer a $10 flat fee.
Another shop wanted a $40 upcharge for DHL instead of EMS.

EMS has actually stopped shipping to the US (and other countries) entirely for the time being. The cut off date was early last month. Things shipped before then are still not arriving on time, but those are expected to take weeks or months. Things after that date are simply not being accepted for either EMS or SAL.

I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I can definitely relate. I recently purchased a couple of items from Japan at the end of March. At the time, packages were still allowed via EMS to the US however packages were significantly delayed due to the reduced number of flights out of Japan. My package had arrived at the Tokyo Collection office on April 2nd, but stayed there for 9 days, presumably to wait until enough packages were collected and a plane was available. On April 11th, it arrived into Chicago's Custom's Center and sat for another 4 days, at which time a customs agent tore open all the protective wrapping to inspect the goods. The package was released from Customs on April 16th, at which time it flew down to my local Post Office within 1 day and was delivered on the same day. So 15 days from day of shipping to delivery, which used to only take 3 days.

In hindsight, 15 days really isn't that bad, considering the present circumstances. I don't take issue with any of the services mentioned, apart from Customs being barbaric with their inspection. Do you have tracking information? It might be currently in holding with many other packages waiting for inspection and or transportation.

Still waiting on a knife from Sweden, 4 weeks so far, tracking says it's in my country now (USA). Got a knife from Japan, JCK, received it in 3 days, DHL!

Ordered a magazine from Canada to US and it took 28 days. DHL from Japan and it took 5 days.

I heard if something is coming into the US it can be laid up in Customs for quite a while. Supposedly NY Customs was temporarily shut down, and everything coming in was sent on to Customs in Chicago. There is no info available via USPS, etc. when packages are in Customs. Customs has 45 days to clear items. My sister indicated her post office was waiting on 6,000 packages to clear, and most finally came through a week or so ago. Things are a bit of a mess right now for overseas shipping.

I heard if something is coming into the US it can be laid up in Customs for quite a while. Supposedly NY Customs was temporarily shut down, and everything coming in was sent on to Customs in Chicago. There is no info available via USPS, etc. when packages are in Customs. Customs has 45 days to clear items. My sister indicated her post office was waiting on 6,000 packages to clear, and most finally came through a week or so ago. Things are a bit of a mess right now for overseas shipping.

In my limited experience, Chicago custome is THE WORST. My stuff always seems to get held up when it goes through there, even when things aren’t so crazy.

EMS shipping out of Japan to US has been suspended indefinitely since April 24.

I shipped Priority Mail International US (non knife item) to Australia March 23rd and package is still in transit.

I got my shipment from bernal in two weeks time

Attachments

• C6CE9E25-830A-4946-AE6C-CE7D4911682B.png
    C6CE9E25-830A-4946-AE6C-CE7D4911682B.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 28
For what it's worth, I have a parcel inbound to me in Canada from JKD (JCK's outdoor knife store) via DHL Express, which they're currently offering for a $15 flat rate. It's taken two days to reach my Province, and is scheduled for delivery after the weekend.

Just won something on Wednesday from buyee. Paid DHL and got it today. I freakin’ love DHL. The flash of red and yellow that streaks away as a package is left at my doorstop gets me so happy and hype haha

For what it's worth, I have a parcel inbound to me in Canada from JKD (JCK's outdoor knife store) via DHL Express, which they're currently offering for a $15 flat rate. It's taken two days to reach my Province, and is scheduled for delivery after the weekend.
damn, how much they charge you for brokerage fee? they always charge 2 times more than the tax itself.
Just won something on Wednesday from buyee. Paid DHL and got it today. I freakin’ love DHL. The flash of red and yellow that streaks away as a package is left at my doorstop gets me so happy and hype haha
Do they charge you brokerage fee as well? their brokerage fee is rip off

damn, how much they charge you for brokerage fee? they always charge 2 times more than the tax itself.

Sorry for the delay, the forum is being a bit slow for me for some reason.

DHL hasn't charged me anything out of the ordinary, more or less than any other courier. It's generally Provincial sales tax plus roughly a $10 brokerage fee, but that $10 fee means it doesn't sit in a CBSA warehouse for days or weeks waiting to be cleared, especially considering the CBSA charges me a $10 clearance fee directly when going through Canada Post. So when a fast courier service such as DHL Express is offered for a low flat rate, it's totally worth it IMO.

Not sure. The knife came out to 70ish USD, then 10 for buyee fees. Then 30ish for DHL Express. Altogether I paid 120ish for a knife worth 160ish. I think that's fair. I tried to calculate the postage thru DHL, but I'm only getting ridiculous prices around the 100 range.

Sorry for the delay, the forum is being a bit slow for me for some reason.

DHL hasn't charged me anything out of the ordinary, more or less than any other courier. It's generally Provincial sales tax plus roughly a $10 brokerage fee, but that $10 fee means it doesn't sit in a CBSA warehouse for days or weeks waiting to be cleared, especially considering the CBSA charges me a $10 clearance fee directly when going through Canada Post. So when a fast courier service such as DHL Express is offered for a low flat rate, it's totally worth it IMO.
well, $10 is still acceptable. sometimes they charge you up to $50 for $20 tax. Maybe I'll try it next time, see if it's worth it.

Not sure. The knife came out to 70ish USD, then 10 for buyee fees. Then 30ish for DHL Express. Altogether I paid 120ish for a knife worth 160ish. I think that's fair. I tried to calculate the postage thru DHL, but I'm only getting ridiculous prices around the 100 range.
Brokerage fee is the additional payment from the DHL when you are going to receive it. so when you pay tax for the item, they will charge you as their service charge for paying the tax & duties to the government. I don't think this is available in the US though, although I might be wrong.

I ordered a knife a couple weeks ago from Japanny and paid 20 for DHL. I had it in my hand in less than 10 days i think. really pleased.

Australia to United States is really slow right now also.
I have a package from Australia that was shipped out on Monday, still stuck waiting for a plane I guess.

DHL seems to be the way to go. I have something coming from France, opted for DHL but it was like 20€ more than la poste

Back