Other uses for fresh wasabi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mille162

Reaction score
Just got back from Japan, smuggled home some fresh wasabi roots (couldn’t believe how cheap they were compared to what we pay in the US! $10 for a good sized root seemed like stealing it!)

Anyway, I bought to take to my local fav sushi counter (he doesn’t often have fresh in as there’s not much demand from his customers). And was going to use some for wasabi mashed potatoes at home.

Anyone have any favorite/interesting recipes for using fresh wasabi?

add to:
beurre blanc with yuzu
substitute in horseradish cream, plus juice from grated ginger and chopped chives
lime aioli
tartar sauce with minced red fresno peppers
sesame miso vinaigrette or marinade
honey garlic dip or glaze
deviled eggs
honeydew gazpacho

add to:
beurre blanc with yuzu
substitute in horseradish cream, plus juice from grated ginger and chopped chives
lime aioli
tartar sauce with minced red fresno peppers
sesame miso vinaigrette or marinade
honey garlic dip or glaze
deviled eggs
honeydew gazpacho

Deviled eggs and aioli sound like winners to me. Gazpacho sounds good two but haven’t had much luck recently finding good melons...thanks Panda!

I was also thinking of letting a small piece dry out a little so I could shave it with a microplane over noodles the way Scarpetta does it with horseradish over their short rib agnolotti

Eat it with a hanger steak or something super beefy/iron like. Daikon oroshi + soy as well.
I like it a lot with oysters, grilled or raw.
Good with grilled squid and cooked scallops.
I like it with cooked roasted radishes too, regular or daikon.
It's nice in salad dressings, especially egg yolk based ones.
Good with Chinese style boiled/poached chicken.
Uni spaghetti.
Crab cakes.
Hiyayakko if you have access to good quality tofu.

I got a product from Japan it is graded frozen block. I cut off a bit it goes well with already mentioned dishes here. I like it with soy sauce or ponzu with sushi. Also good in mash potatoes.
Pretty good quality fresh grated root is best if you can get it. It has a very short shelf life after graded that's why most so called wasabi is made with horseradish.

Latest posts

Back