• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Otsuka Hamono 225mm gyuto Aogami 1

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

thebradleycrew

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a brand new, a 225mm gyuto in BLue 1, soft iron clad and kurouchi finish, by a great old-school 'smith, Otsuka-san in the mountains of the Tottori prefecture. Check out details here: Otsuka Hamono | Tottori | Knife Japan - he lives in the mountains and is only reached by physical means, as I understand it. He seldom makes larger gyutos styled blades. I have two of his knives, and the one I use are really incredible sharpness machines. They are very rustic, but the edges are pretty magic. I'd call it some of the nicest Blue 1 I've used. It's on the softer side (it isn't as high hrc as, say Y.Tanaka) but really great balance within the steel capabilities. Awesome forged distal taper. I paid $293 for it and am asking $225 delivered CONUS or $250 Int'l just to move it. No trades for right now. Thanks!

Aogami #1, Soft Iron Clad San MaiOctogonal Ho Wood and Buffalo Horn164 grams44mm height at heel227mm blade length384mm OAL
IMG_6483.jpg
IMG_6484.jpg
IMG_6487.jpg
IMG_6488.jpg
IMG_6489.jpg
IMG_6490.jpg
IMG_6491.jpg
IMG_6492.jpg
IMG_6493.jpg
IMG_6494.jpg

refcast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude the spine on his knives are crazy huge at the handle, with sick taper . . . What is the spine there?.... Looks like 9mm

Seen videos of him making too

refcast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My preferences is for lasers . . . but I have one by a simliar maker with a similarly fast 4mm to 1mm spine taper, that I'm keeping. The rural blacksmiths really like the tang handle thickness