OUCH! Show your worst images of knife abuse.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For example:
k1.jpg

Found for sale on Etsy this morning. WTH happened here??? Could it actually be an epic case of over-honing or something else? Sadly it's not marked so we can't search for what it looked like when new but it's gotta be your typical bullnose breaker.

I like it…I mean I don’t like it but I appreciate that person’s commitment to honing their knife and keeping it sharp

True. His knife is always sharp. And for his style it doesn't matter. He uses almost all draw cuts. Very common for people who came up through hotels. I asked him if he wanted me to fix it and he told me that he had just gotten it where he liked it. Lol

True. His knife is always sharp. And for his style it doesn't matter. He uses almost all draw cuts. Very common for people who came up through hotels. I asked him if he wanted me to fix it and he told me that he had just gotten it where he liked it. Lol

The man knows what he wants….

Okay disclaimer! I am very embarrassed by this terrible accident. I can’t even believe I’m about to show it to you guys. But I guess after all this is precisely what this thread is for.

I had this knife for approximately 2 weeks before all went wrong big time. It was nearing the end of my shift in the kitchen and I wrapped up my knives in my knife roll and buckled it tight. I set my bag at the end of the table and got side tracked cleaning up a stack of dirty sheet pans as I was sliding them from the table to a cart I carelessly slid the pans right into my roll dropping it to the floor. Soon after further inspection I realized what happened. My new gyutohiki from the 9 was toast! Snapped right at the handle.

Couple months later I spent some time on a bench grinder and fashioned enough of a tang to epoxy it to a unused handle. I thought I took photos of this process but I can’t find them. Anyways the knife started out as a 250mm and is now a 180mm. FWIW the knife still gets used quite a bit at home but every time I hold it I cringe a little. Definitely my worst and most expensive knife catastrophe 🤦‍♂️ Enjoy
739F8BFE-4BB2-4740-8052-BCA0CB24F259.jpeg
FFB3D3FF-6595-4B2A-974C-DF24C0A8923D.jpeg
ED814992-730E-4D97-B32D-12B3BA3B174F.jpeg
963B2CCF-E4A0-446C-B469-3673F84D4D56.jpeg
EFC9C31F-1602-44AE-9F04-E25DD794B578.jpeg
DE723414-C3ED-443B-BACB-1538FB30AC56.jpeg
454AA705-FCCA-454B-8438-AB8249CC3B47.jpeg
DF928BE6-5400-481C-8ED4-D862B27DFD91.jpeg

330mm Aritsugu Mizu Honyaki Shirogami #2

The whole story is in an older post. LSS: I stepped away from my station; when I returned I noticed an immense crack... and no other damage. Weird. I was pretty bummed and the knife was assumed scrapped. One day, years later I was chatting with fine folks at Coutelier Nashville... one thing led to another and now I've got an amazing utility knife perfect for shaving negi!

This picture encapsulates both the damage and the repair (more pics via link above):
arit.JPG

edit: (forgive this self-indulgent nostalgic introspection) if you follow the link- note my poor uraoshi sharpening. Thanks to further research and practice and especially KKF, my technique has evolved entirely. Today I see those pics and cringe!

Last edited:
Back