Ouch.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kippington

A small green parrot
Reaction score
Who wants to see what my thumb looks like after I slipped and pushed it into the 2x72 grinder, which was set up for fastest metal removal... NSFW.

Last edited:
Ooohhh, Looks nasty, Kip! Must be bloody sore.

Hard to tell from the camera angle, but would need to exclude that it's full thickness. May need some antibiotics and probably a tetanus booster if you haven't had one recently.

Off to A&E for you, mate.

Hope it heals quickly and doesn't need anything more involved than a dressing.

I got my tetanus done a few months ago when I slipped with a knife and needed stitches, but oh jeeze this one is so much more painful! I was actually thinking about you Nemo, you'd be the expert in pain relief!

It's not super bad though. There's actually a phantom itchy spot on my finger that doesn't exist anymore, its impossible to scratch haha

OMG!!! I feel the pain when looking at the picture already. I recently dropped a knife and my reaction was to back off completely without even dare to think to catch it. Otherwise I am quite sure I will be in ER instead of joking with friends.

Hope you will get better soon....

Cheers Nev.
I did the math, coz what else is there to do right now haha!
It was a 50 grit belt moving at about 6 meters (20 feet) per second. I was leaning really hard into the grinder when the knife ran off the side, my thumb was next in line and I hit it with full force, connecting for maybe half a second before I could pull back.

Good times...

Oh man... Ouch indeed! :eek:

It looks pretty bad - glad I'd already eaten. Hope you didn't hit bone and that you heal quickly.

You said you did the math - me too. 6 m/s or ~20 ft/s isn't that fast. It's just under 22 km/h or ~13.5 mph. I thought that's not so bad. I could easily touch the road for half a second while travelling at that speed. Then I realised it's not a question of touching at all - it's full-on contact. So I imagined falling off a motorbike at that speed without any protective clothing. Hell, no clothing at all!!! Even just thinking about my hands or knees hitting the road at that speed scares the crap out of me.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Then I realised it's not a question of touching at all - it's full-on contact. So I imagined falling off a motorbike at that speed without any protective clothing. Hell, no clothing at all!!! Even just thinking about my hands or knees hitting the road at that speed scares the crap out of me.
Even worse, I was pushing hard into it with a very small point of contact! :eek:

Ouch! I hope you make a speedy recovery. I once had an accident involving a a spice/coffee grinder and finger (don't think the end result was as bad as yours, but the wound was coated with spicy salt, that hurt), so I somewhat feel your pain.

Oh man... Ouch indeed! :eek:

It looks pretty bad - glad I'd already eaten. Hope you didn't hit bone and that you heal quickly.

You said you did the math - me too. 6 m/s or ~20 ft/s isn't that fast. It's just under 22 km/h or ~13.5 mph. I thought that's not so bad. I could easily touch the road for half a second while travelling at that speed. Then I realised it's not a question of touching at all - it's full-on contact. So I imagined falling off a motorbike at that speed without any protective clothing. Hell, no clothing at all!!! Even just thinking about my hands or knees hitting the road at that speed scares the crap out of me.

Indeed. Especially since the road is made of coarse grit sandpaper.

Ouch man, that looks rough.

Get down to A and E for some codeine or some ****, you've earned it with that.

Whoah, Dude! CA glue aint't gonna work on that one :eek:
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Time to start working on your story:
"What happened to your thumb?"
"motorcycle polo accident"

Happened to a friend of mine too. Healed up faster than expected. Another friend of mine cut off his right index finger on a bandsaw. That didn't really heal.

My uncle cut his left index finger the long way down past the second knuckle, right down the middle, with a table saw. Didn't feel it until he started seeing blood all over his workbench. Taped it up and drove to the hospital. They didn't have to amputate it despite most of the bone being gone. Just sewed it up down the middle. Now he just has a wonky finger.

I had to look. I've done similar, but not nearly as bad. You have my sympathy man, that's a slow healing process.

A couple of years ago I was using a router with a quarter round bit in it. It was mounted to the bottom of a table with the bit sticking out the top because I had to make a round edge on the trim pieces for a boat. One piece had cross grain in it and the router grabbed it and pulled my finger into the bit. My right index finger is now a good bit shorter than my left index finger.

It looks very rough around the edges, like maybe it was either 36 or 50 grit. Some 150 followed by 220 should smooth everything out...…. Sorry, had to.

Thanks fellas

It looks very rough around the edges, like maybe it was either 36 or 50 grit. Some 150 followed by 220 should smooth everything out...…. Sorry, had to.
Yep, I forgot to deburr it!

giphy scratch.gif

Back