Quantcast

OUL ginsanko line (Bernal)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Midsummer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wide bevels, choil looks like some righty bias? Not an north American Walnut. It says "thin grind" but the weight and chill suggest more of a solid mid. Favorite acid food prep steel.

What hasn't already been said about Carl Kotte...

ian

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a decent midweight wide bevel. No visible distal taper, unsurprisingly. Do you want a wide bevel? 🤷

Profile looks good. Maybe a little flat for me, but I can’t really tell from photos. Probably it’s very nice.

I’d never buy one though because it has a machi gap. 😂

Also, what’s up with “OUL”?

Mikeadunne

Reaction score
I like the look of the bunka and I’m not usually a k-tip kinda guy. Also I’ve never tried Ginsan so this also has me intrigued. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has experience w this brand.

McMan

Reaction score
Looks like a clean Sakai knife. From the choil shot, the chamfering on the choil looks really accurate. So, if that's any indication--and who knows if it is or isn't?--then the sharpener is at least attentive.
It actually reminds me a lot of the shirakis that AFrames sells. Those were sleepers. Very similar wide-bevel-ish look. The Aframes shiraki had faux wide bevels. From the pics, it looks like the OUL might have wide bevels eased at the shoulders? Or maybe just faux? Tough to tell given the pics.
These OUL look intersting--but not quite a "try it and see" price...

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
Sorry @daveb went with the OUL 240mm instead.
Profile looks delicious.
I’m very happy for you Graig! Unlike jml and me who don’t own any knives, you own a lot! I wish you the best with your stainless life!

Mikeadunne

Reaction score

labor of love

Reaction score
I just unboxed it a few moments ago, I’ll let you know how I feel about it on the board after some shifts at work.

This handle though...really good SIH vibes. Oversized and roomy, very smooth.

This one is 49mm tall.

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just realized - so with one of these, a kikuchiyo, and a Takayuki Ginsan, one could compare side by side the Ginsan forging of Y Tanaka, Yamatsuka, and J Nakagawa of Shiraki! Might have just picked my next three knife buys.

@ftermath

Reaction score
I’ve wondered about these for a little while now. Glad you decided to test it out. I’m looking forward to your thoughts after use.

labor of love

Reaction score
I really like it a lot so far. I didn’t get enough time today to really put it to the test but the few things that I did with it was really really nice.

Robert Lavacca

Reaction score
That grind almost reminds of shigehiro. Wish they made 180 petties in this line and not just 150.