Out of the stone loop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koenvil

Reaction score
I've been sharpening most of my life but recently lost all my stones :(

I don't really know what's good/hip to buy anymore at what price. I'm located in Canada though am willing to buy from the USA.

Looking for a 100-500 grit, 1-2k, 3-5k, 8-10k which was my previous progression.

Will probably also get a diamond stone for lapping.

Use to have a Suehiro Rika, which I probably rebuy as I do enjoy muddy stones.

Thanks.

Better yet, welcome to a new addiction :)

I started out with a small stack of stones, now I ended up with a massive rock collection that takes up a storage closet.

What knives do you sharpen? What steels are they made of?

A small stainless petty (Konosuke)
A CCK Cleaver
A ~1940's Sabatier Chefs knife
A Blue or White steel Yanagi (don't quite remember which, picked it up in Tokyo)

Not a pro, so I usually sharpened about once a month

Better yet, welcome to a new addiction :)

I started out with a small stack of stones, now I ended up with a massive rock collection that takes up a storage closet.

I actually just took a look at my profile, which i probably updated like 8 years ago. My previous stones were

Beston 500
Bestor 1200
Suehiro Rika 5k
Kitayama 8k

I also had a leather strop with a 1 or 0.25 micron diamond spray

Time to build a new collection

Since you seem to be fine with soakers and you have a yanagiba I would recommend cerax 320, 1000, Rika 5000, and Kitayama 8000, keep em permasoked. These stones should be able to take care of all your knives. Get an Atoma 140 for stone flatening.

Since you seem to be fine with soakers and you have a yanagiba I would recommend cerax 320, 1000, Rika 5000, and Kitayama 8000, keep em permasoked. These stones should be able to take care of all your knives. Get an Atoma 140 for stone flatening.
This is what I should have done lol

Ah thank you! I had a rika and kitayama before. The Kitayama is very hard though, at the 8-10k grit level is there anything softer? Or are they all that hard. Also 1k -> 5k isn't too big?

Also any other recommendations at the high grit?

Thanks

Japanese Knife Imports Gessin 8000 is a soft feeling high grit stone. I tried one when I visited Jon a few years ago. I would have purchased one but it was out of stock at the time. It has a creamy feel and cuts very fast. If you like the feel of the Rika 5000 you will get similar feedback from the Gessin. It’s not cheap but when it comes to feedback I think it’s the best synthetic high grit that I’ve tried.

Japanese Knife Imports Gessin 8000 is a soft feeling high grit stone. I tried one when I visited Jon a few years ago. I would have purchased one but it was out of stock at the time. It has a creamy feel and cuts very fast. If you like the feel of the Rika 5000 you will get similar feedback from the Gessin. It’s not cheap but when it comes to feedback I think it’s the best synthetic high grit that I’ve tried.
Gesshin 4k and 6k soakers feel really nice also.

Ah thank you! I had a rika and kitayama before. The Kitayama is very hard though, at the 8-10k grit level is there anything softer? Or are they all that hard. Also 1k -> 5k isn't too big?

Also any other recommendations at the high grit?

Thanks
The Kitayama is usually described as a softer stone, especially when permasoaked, the Rika 5000's actual grit rating is usually described as more like a 3000-4000-so not too big of a jump from a 1000.

In Canada, paulsfinest.com is a great place for Naniwa and Shapton stones. knifewear.com has the Kitayama.
I ordered a Suehiro stone from the US and shipping & duty fees are outrageous. I always try to order from local retailers if possible.

Depending on your budget the Chosera 400, 1k and 3k is always a good suggestion. Easy to use, splash and go, good feedback and feeling and works on everything. Tried a lot of various stuff and the Chosera set of those 3 is still a good all around choice (budget pending)

Back