Outdoor cooking gear help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I would update this thread with some feedback from the wokshop that daveb linked. I bought everything needed for a wok station. Wok, utensils, steamer etc. Everything went smooth through checkout. Then I got an email saying they needed to double the shipping cost from what was quoted. I inquired about what could be removed from the order to reduce shipping cost to keep the total purchase in line as not everything was 100% vital. The response was a voided order with no note or possible solution. I feel like I got kicked out of a store for trying to buy too much. Leaves a strange feeling behind. I guess I will have to purchase the items elsewhere. Bizarre in a day and age where most of the items I was purchasing ship for free from amazon. I was going out of my way to support an independent business but have ended up empty handed.
Could be worse. You could have been at their brick/mortar location.

I won’t shop there. The store needs to be pressure washed top or bottom.

I buy everything I possibly can from Amazon because of their impeccable customer service.

Mixed feelings here, Amazon proper customer service/fulfillment continues to mostly be excellent but some fakes/copies are creeping into their supply chain. Their 3rd part sellers have become the wild west and might just as well be Alibaba or e-Bay. Amazon, per se, has little or no s**ts to give. Linking element to this and related threads: I recently purchased The Breath of a Wok in "New" condition from an Amazon 3rd party seller and it arrived far from it. I returned the book but am still waiting for credit.
The human worker, cultural, and environmental costs of Amazon are also worth some thought.

Chuckles experience with The Wok Shop was monumentally stupid on their part.

I have a few of the cleavers from the wok shop For 10-12 bucks they are great. They are reasonably thin and pretty damn straight for how cheap they are. The owner there is an interesting one for sure. I was looking for something CCK 1303 size, and she was offended I wasn’t taking her recommendations. Went on a rant about how she’s worked there for 52 years and sold to all the restaurants near by. Telling me anything bigger was overkill. I politely kept my mouth shut as to not have to deal with her any longer.

Mowgs.

there is a Chinese hardware store around the corner. (head south, take a left) that has a better collection of CCK cleavers. mostly stainless ones when I was there.

great wok tool selection and even awesome woks.

I won't step into the WokShop anymore. it is just a tourist trap these days.

Honestly didn’t cross my mind that it could be a bric and mortar. Seeing where it is located now it is possible I have actually been there before. Funny. Repurchased most of the stuff from amazon.

That’s interesting. So it is a propane industrial wok burner added onto an existing grill? That sounds pretty good to me because the wok burners I have looked at so far appear to have flimsy stands.
Yes, that’s what it is. I’m traveling right now; can post a photo once I get back in two weeks.
It's been a lot longer than two weeks… I just cleaned the BBQ, which reminded me to post the photo.

This is it, turned up high. The flames are yellow because there is just way too much gas, so it doesn't get enough oxygen. Set to a normal flame, it burns blue.

IMG_3652.JPG

I installed a propane BBQ unit last summer (I would have run a gas line if I didn't have to trench so long a run) and it has rendered my Weber charcoal grill obsolete. Ideally I would have run a gas line and installed the larger unit but this one was the AOG 24" replacement and the brickwork and cutout were already there.

Attachments

• IMG_0906 2.JPG
    IMG_0906 2.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 20
Nobody has love for the Yamada hammered woks from Japan? I thought hammered carbon steel from Japan would have been the standard in this forum ;)
It is also fairly inexpensive.

Yamada Hammered Japanese Wok
i was tempted, but i felt it was too rich for my blood. plus i wanted that tiny helper handle so i can hang it on my "wall of steel" in my garage.

I have a model similar to this one:
https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves/14-cooking-systems/expedition-2x-double-burner-stove.html
The burners are high powered and aluminum so they don't rust like all of the cast iron ones. Also you can get a lot of cool accessories for it like a grill, oven, griddle.
i gave mine away. it was great ,but setting it up was too time consuming. broken down, it is heavy and giant. even for truck camping. i hatedd how the hose attached front and center. it was put right where most of the grease splattered. it was very powerful, and was awesome to have around when i made wild turkey stock from the bird carcasses i got on my hunts. it supported a huge caldron, and slow simmered just fine. the size was just too jagged of a pill to swallow.

I have a 6-burner gas grill I use for quick grilling. I gave up on charcoal as it takes too long. If I want to slow cook, I use my smoker. In the summer time it is too hot in the house to cook much so I use the grill. We grill everything outside in the summer. Once the gas grills become seasoned then they come close to a charcoal grill for taste.

Back