Outdoor kitchen equipment choices

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Lens Pirate

Reaction score
I am moving in a week to a new house with a great covered patio. The GF has cleared me for a serious upgrade to the outdoor kitchen. I looked around, decided to go all in on Weber Gear. Ordered a EX6 gen2 smokefire pellet grill, a S435 2022 Genesis 11 4 burner grill, and a Summit e6 Kamado charcoaL Kettle. I feel like with a few add on items, there is nothing I can't cook and cook well outdoors with this setup.

But I am a glutton for punishment. What do you guys with outdoor set ups use and just how bad was my choice of Equip?

M1k3

Nobody wants to work....FOR YOU!!
Reaction score
First question, budget? Do you have one?
Second question, what do you need? What do you want?

btbyrd

Reaction score
I have a Weber Genesis and it's great. I have some Grill Grates that work with them and like having that option. The side burner is okay, but not the best. I prefer portable Iwatani FW35 burners (or even a portable induction burner if you have a counter and power). Charcoal is nice to have, but I find gas to be more convenient in terms of heating up, cooling down, and cleaning up. I have a small konro and binchotan for small charcoal grilling tasks and yakitori. I'd much rather have a nice live fire cooking setup (eg. Grills by Demant) than a charcoal powered kamado, but that's mostly personal preference.
I also like having a flat top for various purposes. I currently have a small Blackstone and it's okay. Does the job, but ideally it'd have better heat distribution. I also have a 100k BTU wok burner that is pretty awesome, if that's a type of cuisine you'd be into exploring. In my ideal outdoor cooking space, I'd want that built on a rolling cart that could go beside a built-in sink somewhere. Having a water source and drain nearby for quick cleaning between courses is the way to go.
There's a propane fired deep fryer in my dream outdoor kitchen. I hear the Cajun Fryers are good. A low boy fridge or two would be nice as well. And an Ooni pizza oven. Lots of nice lighting. And an outdoor JBL sound system.

Reaction score
It's the
I have a Weber Genesis and it's great. I have some Grill Grates that work with them and like having that option. The side burner is okay, but not the best. I prefer portable Iwatani FW35 burners (or even a portable induction burner if you have a counter and power). Charcoal is nice to have, but I find gas to be more convenient in terms of heating up, cooling down, and cleaning up. I have a small konro and binchotan for small charcoal grilling tasks and yakitori. I'd much rather have a nice live fire cooking setup (eg. Grills by Demant) than a charcoal powered kamado, but that's mostly personal preference.
I also like having a flat top for various purposes. I currently have a small Blackstone and it's okay. Does the job, but ideally it'd have better heat distribution. I also have a 100k BTU wok burner that is pretty awesome, if that's a type of cuisine you'd be into exploring. In my ideal outdoor cooking space, I'd want that built on a rolling cart that could go beside a built-in sink somewhere. Having a water source and drain nearby for quick cleaning between courses is the way to go.
There's a propane fired deep fryer in my dream outdoor kitchen. I hear the Cajun Fryers are good. A low boy fridge or two would be nice as well. And an Ooni pizza oven. Lots of nice lighting. And an outdoor JBL sound system.

I'm definitely going to steal a few of your ideas here the next time my wife asks "what are gonna do with the backyard?"

Jeff

Reaction score
I am moving in a week to a new house with a great covered patio. The GF has cleared me for a serious upgrade to the outdoor kitchen. I looked around, decided to go all in on Weber Gear. Ordered a EX6 gen2 smokefire pellet grill, a S435 2022 Genesis 11 4 burner grill, and a Summit e6 Kamado charcoaL Kettle. I feel like with a few add on items, there is nothing I can't cook and cook well outdoors with this setup.

But I am a glutton for punishment. What do you guys with outdoor set ups use and just how bad was my choice of Equip?

As for a smoker, After going thru several, I settled on TRAEGER IRONWOOD 650.

I went thru lower end TRAEGERS and was very dissatisfied … way too much fluctuation in temp.

I like the insulation in the IRONWOOD line. It holds temp pretty well (based on my 6 probe FIREBOARD digital thermometer.

I bake in it too.

No problem getting it up to 500°. And I installed GRILLGRATES which allows me to get the temp OVER 720°F !!!!! I do not use my monster charcoal grill or pizza oven much anymore.

JASinIL2006

Reaction score
I use my Eastman wok burner all the time. It is used more than my smokers or my propane grill. When it dies, I will replace it like I did the one before it. I won’t be without a wok burner.