Outdoor kitchen equipment choices

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lens Pirate

Reaction score
I am moving in a week to a new house with a great covered patio. The GF has cleared me for a serious upgrade to the outdoor kitchen. I looked around, decided to go all in on Weber Gear. Ordered a EX6 gen2 smokefire pellet grill, a S435 2022 Genesis 11 4 burner grill, and a Summit e6 Kamado charcoaL Kettle. I feel like with a few add on items, there is nothing I can't cook and cook well outdoors with this setup.

But I am a glutton for punishment. What do you guys with outdoor set ups use and just how bad was my choice of Equip?

I have a Weber Genesis and it's great. I have some Grill Grates that work with them and like having that option. The side burner is okay, but not the best. I prefer portable Iwatani FW35 burners (or even a portable induction burner if you have a counter and power). Charcoal is nice to have, but I find gas to be more convenient in terms of heating up, cooling down, and cleaning up. I have a small konro and binchotan for small charcoal grilling tasks and yakitori. I'd much rather have a nice live fire cooking setup (eg. Grills by Demant) than a charcoal powered kamado, but that's mostly personal preference.
I also like having a flat top for various purposes. I currently have a small Blackstone and it's okay. Does the job, but ideally it'd have better heat distribution. I also have a 100k BTU wok burner that is pretty awesome, if that's a type of cuisine you'd be into exploring. In my ideal outdoor cooking space, I'd want that built on a rolling cart that could go beside a built-in sink somewhere. Having a water source and drain nearby for quick cleaning between courses is the way to go.
There's a propane fired deep fryer in my dream outdoor kitchen. I hear the Cajun Fryers are good. A low boy fridge or two would be nice as well. And an Ooni pizza oven. Lots of nice lighting. And an outdoor JBL sound system.

It's the
I have a Weber Genesis and it's great. I have some Grill Grates that work with them and like having that option. The side burner is okay, but not the best. I prefer portable Iwatani FW35 burners (or even a portable induction burner if you have a counter and power). Charcoal is nice to have, but I find gas to be more convenient in terms of heating up, cooling down, and cleaning up. I have a small konro and binchotan for small charcoal grilling tasks and yakitori. I'd much rather have a nice live fire cooking setup (eg. Grills by Demant) than a charcoal powered kamado, but that's mostly personal preference.
I also like having a flat top for various purposes. I currently have a small Blackstone and it's okay. Does the job, but ideally it'd have better heat distribution. I also have a 100k BTU wok burner that is pretty awesome, if that's a type of cuisine you'd be into exploring. In my ideal outdoor cooking space, I'd want that built on a rolling cart that could go beside a built-in sink somewhere. Having a water source and drain nearby for quick cleaning between courses is the way to go.
There's a propane fired deep fryer in my dream outdoor kitchen. I hear the Cajun Fryers are good. A low boy fridge or two would be nice as well. And an Ooni pizza oven. Lots of nice lighting. And an outdoor JBL sound system.

I'm definitely going to steal a few of your ideas here the next time my wife asks "what are gonna do with the backyard?"

I am moving in a week to a new house with a great covered patio. The GF has cleared me for a serious upgrade to the outdoor kitchen. I looked around, decided to go all in on Weber Gear. Ordered a EX6 gen2 smokefire pellet grill, a S435 2022 Genesis 11 4 burner grill, and a Summit e6 Kamado charcoaL Kettle. I feel like with a few add on items, there is nothing I can't cook and cook well outdoors with this setup.

But I am a glutton for punishment. What do you guys with outdoor set ups use and just how bad was my choice of Equip?

As for a smoker, After going thru several, I settled on TRAEGER IRONWOOD 650.

I went thru lower end TRAEGERS and was very dissatisfied … way too much fluctuation in temp.

I like the insulation in the IRONWOOD line. It holds temp pretty well (based on my 6 probe FIREBOARD digital thermometer.

I bake in it too.

No problem getting it up to 500°. And I installed GRILLGRATES which allows me to get the temp OVER 720°F !!!!! I do not use my monster charcoal grill or pizza oven much anymore.

Back