Overrated Foods...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She spent hours hollowing them out by hand and filling them with pudding. Vanilla cupcakes got chocolate pudding filling and frosting and vice versa for the chocolate cupcakes. She'd make a whole day of it and make who knows how many dozens.

this is getting closer to something i'd like. some kind of good filling (i enjoy pudding, custard could be good too) and maybe a lighter application of frosting (better yet crème pâtissière or something).

Korean fried chicken. Don’t get me wrong, I still quite like this stuff - frankly I even enjoy courgettes and flowers if deep fried hard enough - but it does seem to match the title of this very thread in my book.

Can be very crisp and tasty, but generally comes in smaller portions, more slowly. The spiciest version is never spicy enough/there’s too much sugar/it’s a bit messy to eat. And generally they’re little different ethically or better healthwise than your local KFC-copycat franchise, despite much warmer press coverage and a tendency to see these as ‘superior’ over the usual cheap fried chicken joints. See also hipster/upmarket fried chicken, albeit higher welfare birds at least tend to feature there.

All things considered, most of the time it’s less hassle and I gain as much enjoyment from a bargain sized bag of hot wings from Morleys, South London‘s superior alternative to KFC.

This sounds to me like nobody has ever done you the favor of giving you real and good Korean chicken. Because this is heresy otherwise.

;)

When read couple books on how to eat if suffer from high blood sugar & pre diabetics they explained how it happens what it does to your
body & how to turn it around. When added up
daily sugar intake was surprised. Love Ginger
Drank Agave sweetened Strong ginger flavor ginger ale, also lots of orange juice. Loved drinking juices. Some had sugar added. Thought was eating ok found just the opposite. Tomato sauce, ketchup, most processed food in America is loaded with sugar, had to add that too.

Decided to try going off sugar. So read labels carefully. That eliminated almost everything.
Found how many products have high fructose corn syrup because cheaper than sugar. All the
artificial sweeteners just as bad or worse than sugar.

Not trying to be 🥱 so keep it short cut out sugar & processed foods. Didn't starve at all.

Lost 35# in two months. Wasn't going to buy new clothes so bought shorter belts.

Also for your health research refined sweeteners how play havoc to your system & WHY
It has gotten so much worse in recent decades
Obese children more the norm instead of rare cases. It's an education. It has nothing to do with counting calories. Sugar is as addictive as cocaine.

This sounds to me like nobody has ever done you the favor of giving you real and good Korean chicken. Because this is heresy otherwise.

;)

FFS, London has pretty much the largest expat Korean community per capita anywhere outside of Korea, with suburban Raynes Park/Koreatown home to about 20k alone. Fair to say that we’ve some excellent Korean food and some particularly wonderful BBQ restaurants, acclaimed by Korean expats and visitors alike

London admittedly has a lot of chicken mind - it’s unlikely you’ll ever be more than 100 yards from a fried chicken joint in most of the capital, youttube fulling of penging fried chicken reviews. And whilst I like Korean Fried chicken, I can’t help but feel that it sometimes get too much acclaim and an easy ride from more respectable critics - yes, it’s crunchier. But it’s not some new innovative markedly different product - it’s still tastily, satisfyingly unhealthy FC, only you have to pay at least twice as much and wait longer. And yep, sometimes I‘d prefer a quick bag of Morley’s finest without the hassle.

Better value and more remarkable chicken experiences lie elsewhere imo. Mama Lan‘s satisfying chilli oil wings, the Gallery‘s proper piri pirii in the day, Braii wings from ML and many, many more,. I’ll still eat (and enjoy) Korean Fried chicken without hesitation, but it’s an outgunned contender rather than a new chicken paradigm over here.

you can take that line if you like, but if you listened to folks who were pushing Oxy just a decade ago saying it was safe, there was tons of evidence it was less addictive, your doctor who you trusted said "yes this is fine", do you still have the responsibility? a lot of that stuff was well hidden. in fact the feds ultimately did decide that the manufacturer had misled the public badly.

it is not a secret that the American sugar industry paid for much of the research that started the whole low fat thing in the 90s, for example.

plus you had an industry marketing heavily and directly at children, who have been known for a long time to not be able to distinguish between programming and advertising.

I would agree with your statement if and only if we lived in a world with genuine information symmetry. but that world is as far away from this as a Marvel movie is.

plus those calorie numbers on the packages? just estimates.
The main problem IMO was that for a long time all the advice from health board, government institutions, and even the 'medical world' was bascially 'fat = bad, carbs = good'. While some of the research and advice might have been skewed by certain interest groups I think the biggest problem was that most of it was based on crap science. If you look up the research it's all based on it's surprising it was preached as gospel for so long. I don't think you can explain it away as 'bad intentions' from all involved, as a lot of those people meant well; they just had the science wrong.

What's worrying though is that..well... things didn't improve all THAT much on a lot of fronts. We still see far reaching statements and advice being given on dubious nutrition research; virtually none of it is experimental research and it's not that hard to come up with a list of problems that essentially renders the presented conclusions as meaningless. You see a lot of this nowadays with 'red meat bad' or 'meat is bad' kind of research, where I feel like a lot of people are interpreting research through 'ideological goggles'.

When read couple books on how to eat if suffer from high blood sugar & pre diabetics they explained how it happens what it does to your
body & how to turn it around. When added up
daily sugar intake was surprised. Love Ginger
Drank Agave sweetened Strong ginger flavor ginger ale, also lots of orange juice. Loved drinking juices. Some had sugar added. Thought was eating ok found just the opposite. Tomato sauce, ketchup, most processed food in America is loaded with sugar, had to add that too.

Decided to try going off sugar. So read labels carefully. That eliminated almost everything.
Found how many products have high fructose corn syrup because cheaper than sugar. All the
artificial sweeteners just as bad or worse than sugar.

Not trying to be 🥱 so keep it short cut out sugar & processed foods. Didn't starve at all.

Lost 35# in two months. Wasn't going to buy new clothes so bought shorter belts.

Also for your health research refined sweeteners how play havoc to your system & WHY
It has gotten so much worse in recent decades
Obese children more the norm instead of rare cases. It's an education. It has nothing to do with counting calories. Sugar is as addictive as cocaine.
I think fruit juices were the most surprising to me as being potentially problematic. Like many I grew up with the idea that stuff like orange juice is really healthy and good for you. It's loaded with vitamin C and even grandma is saying it so it must be true right?
Even in the government guidelines nowadays fruit juice gets the cold shoulder.

In general I think that 'avoid processed stuff' is both the most easy and most effective nutrition advice one can give. Start making your own food from scratch with recognizable ingredients and it's almost impossible to eat unhealthy. There's just so much junk in most of the premade and processed crap (not just in America). The problem is that a lot of people don't necessarily have the time for that, and in a lot of places getting access to quality ingredients isn't necessarily a given either.

The second 'easy win' is to just give up juice and soda and simply drink water. Those play a huge role in making kids fat since it's incredibly easy to overconsume calories with sugary drinks. Saves money too!

Yes water. Make green tea by the gallon drink it cold actually prefer it now with no sugar.

Whole fruits🍍🍉🍒 for the fiber. Had to give up dried fruits. Lots of nuts for snacks high in natural fats, still can't gain any weight.

Lots of fresh vegetables & seafood not the battered stuff. Steamed or fried in the skillet.

Only complex carbs in smaller portions.

FFS, London has pretty much the largest expat Korean community per capita anywhere outside of Korea, with suburban Raynes Park/Koreatown home to about 20k alone. Fair to say that we’ve some excellent Korean food and some particularly wonderful BBQ restaurants, acclaimed by Korean expats and visitors alike

London admittedly has a lot of chicken mind - it’s unlikely you’ll ever be more than 100 yards from a fried chicken joint in most of the capital, youttube fulling of penging fried chicken reviews. And whilst I like Korean Fried chicken, I can’t help but feel that it sometimes get too much acclaim and an easy ride from more respectable critics - yes, it’s crunchier. But it’s not some new innovative markedly different product - it’s still tastily, satisfyingly unhealthy FC, only you have to pay at least twice as much and wait longer. And yep, sometimes I‘d prefer a quick bag of Morley’s finest without the hassle.

Better value and more remarkable chicken experiences lie elsewhere imo. Mama Lan‘s satisfying chilli oil wings, the Gallery‘s proper piri pirii in the day, Braii wings from ML and many, many more,. I’ll still eat (and enjoy) Korean Fried chicken without hesitation, but it’s an outgunned contender rather than a new chicken paradigm over here.

Well I'm in southern California so I doubt you have more Koreans than we have here. Not that I say that for competition at all, bit if you're ever in the area I'd love to treat you. Because it's not just crunchier, but juicier and packing much more flavor. If you still felt that way after wards I'd be surprised. :)

Underrated foods also warrant their own thread IMO...

After a holiday from proper bread we just got some good bread (Rober for the Dutch) ,
20211101_125616.jpg

Another thing that just came to mind... really dark chocolate. While I can enjoy chocolate in a lot of different forms or 'strengths', whether it's milk chocolate, the midrange or anything up to 70%... once it goes beyond 70% it just becomes too bitter for my taste, even if it's good chocolate. Maybe people with different palates than mine perceive this different to me but no mater how much I tried if I was being honest the really high % stuff just wasn't as enjoyable as the <70% stuff.

O yes, dark chocolate! My observation is similar, around 70=80% is optimal for my taste but anything over that seems to lose flavor and complexity.

Last edited:
Korean fried chicken. Don’t get me wrong, I still quite like this stuff - frankly I even enjoy courgettes and flowers if deep fried hard enough - but it does seem to match the title of this very thread in my book.

Can be very crisp and tasty, but generally comes in smaller portions, more slowly. The spiciest version is never spicy enough/there’s too much sugar/it’s a bit messy to eat. And generally they’re little different ethically or better healthwise than your local KFC-copycat franchise, despite much warmer press coverage and a tendency to see these as ‘superior’ over the usual cheap fried chicken joints. See also hipster/upmarket fried chicken, albeit higher welfare birds at least tend to feature there.

All things considered, most of the time it’s less hassle and I gain as much enjoyment from a bargain sized bag of hot wings from Morleys, South London‘s superior alternative to KFC.

Ever go to CheeMc on the Walworth Road? Cracker of a place! Closed for a while after the busybody hygiene inspectors decided it was obeying neither the letter nor the spirit of the law. But back open I believe now, and with fewer rat droppings in the batter.

And yes, also - Morleys :)

Potato salad. Sure I've had one or two that were decent. But 99% of the time it's terrible and made by people that have no idea what good flavor or balance is.

Ditto on dark chocolate like just a little bitter.

Ever had German potato salad served warm?
Pretty good. Worked with German chef doing banquets. Was popular item on hot line chafing
pans.

Paris is an overrated food city.

I'll go one further and say France is an overrated food country. People rave about how "sophisticated" the food is here. The reality is that it is bland and overcooked. The French themselves will admit that they are terrified of spices. And the beef is tougher than I am.

OK, the bread is amazing, and so is the cheese. But I never eat out in France anymore because it always disappoints.

Fake meat often has not so healthy ingredients.

Often packaging covered with no GMO, low fat, etc. Is not healthy at all.

I'll go one further and say France is an overrated food country. People rave about how "sophisticated" the food is here. The reality is that it is bland and overcooked. The French themselves will admit that they are terrified of spices. And the beef is tougher than I am.

OK, the bread is amazing, and so is the cheese. But I never eat out in France anymore because it always disappoints.

Do you include Alsace in that? I spent some time there, some years ago, and was stunned by how good the food was.

Denver and flat iron steaks. If you are a steak and cost more than a ribeye, go ahead and f*** off.

Denver and flat iron steaks. If you are a steak and cost more than a ribeye, go ahead and f*** off.
Honestly it's ribeye I find highly overrated. :p
Ribeye are wonderful steaks, albeit terribly overrated. TBH I’d get bored cooking and eating just ribeye steak.
Love the character, beefiness of a paleron (flat iron), reasonably priced—big fan of the chewy gristle bit that runs through it.
Last weeks grilled paleron:
75253506-ACC9-45A6-BCEE-05AAFBA30B27.jpeg

E569E5C3-07F5-4CD4-9088-B120651F74D2.jpeg

D6B091F3-BA9B-42D3-9867-E538106FC021.jpeg

Last edited:
Instation crab - just molded highly processed
fish cake with soy, sugar, & MSG to make it taste good.

This is the problem with sprinkles in North America. I only trust the Dutch stuff, the Hagelslag and the Muisjes.
That's a real deal.

wow. popular and eaten on buttered toast? never heard of those. sounds like something worth trying.

wow. popular and eaten on buttered toast? never heard of those. sounds like something worth trying.
we (well our kids mostly) eat that stuff on a slice of bread, toast, 'beschuit'(zwieback), or anything...beware, there is a load of brands that sell sugar with a chocolat content that is quite low, aim for the better brands and 'puur' (higher chocolate content >54%)

Ribeye are wonderful steaks, albeit terribly overrated. TBH I’d get bored cooking and eating just ribeye steak.
Love the character, beefiness of a paleron (flat iron), reasonably priced—big fan of the chewy gristle bit that runs through it.
Last weeks grilled paleron:
View attachment 150026
View attachment 150027
View attachment 150028
I think technically you can't call it a flat iron if it isn't split lengthwise so you don't have the gristle? But yeah, very underrated cut. Over here it's generally only used for simmering and stewing. Cheap as dirt. It's one of the cheap cuts that I used to teach myself how to prep steaks; all the principles are the same, you just have a little piece in the center that you have to eat around... But the meat part itself is really good. Thanks for the reminder... this is going on the shopping list again. :)

Honestly it's ribeye I find highly overrated. :p
I think technically you can't call it a flat iron if it isn't split lengthwise so you don't have the gristle? But yeah, very underrated cut. Over here it's generally only used for simmering and stewing. Cheap as dirt. It's one of the cheap cuts that I used to teach myself how to prep steaks; all the principles are the same, you just have a little piece in the center that you have to eat around... But the meat part itself is really good. Thanks for the reminder... this is going on the shopping list again. :)

Yeah, you’re right, Flat Iron typically cut lengthwise, omitting the connective tissue, but I’ve seen it cut both ways with and without the gristle—depending on the butcher. Top blade (flat iron) really packs a lotta flavor!

4C61E3C0-64EB-490C-863D-B7778B24A88E.png

Latest posts

Back