Overrated Foods...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had duck tongue at a traditional Chinese place too, uninteresting IMO. Meat is indeed nice enough but not worth the hassle for me.

It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea—more of a textural thing. Yes, they do take a lot of work to eat—much like small bony fish, or little sea snails—you'd probably not like chicken's feet, a dim sum house classic. I grew up eating a lot of chickens feet; duck tongue and web; beef tendons; goose intestines; beef tripe and spleen; etc. And also other ingredients valued for textures—and cost/rarity—like bird's nest and shark's fin, which offer little flavor of their own, but require elaborate processes to cook.

With my family, tripe, tendons, chicken's feet, and pig's trotters usually generate more excitement than ribeye steaks. The former ingredients, although less expensive, can take considerably more time and kitchen craft to cook than a ribeye—so is often appreciated on the table. It's also very nostalgic food, grandmother's cooking, etc.

Last edited:
Escargot. Slightly woody taste, not very strong, and rubbery texture. Only reason to eat them is the herb butter that goes along with them because, without that, it would be just a slightly woody taste and rubbery texture…

Last edited:
Eating unseasoned tofu makes about as much sense as eating flour with a spoon.

Slice it thin, some sweet Shanghai sauce and some pork floss on top, and some century eggs, and you've got a great cold dish.

Semantics. Chuck is a rather large section of the steer, which includes the blade area—depending on butcher, I’ve seen it cut with and against the grain, labeled chicken steak, paleron, flat iron, top blade steak, feather steak, etc. TBH, I don’t get hung up on what foods are called in different regions. Point being, the steaks from the blade of the chuck are darn tasty, with or without the gristle.

I smoked my first chuck steak and it was tasty. I found a couple without gristle. They were low on briskets; they had been picked over and what was left did not look good. I used a salt and black pepper rub and smoked it for just a few hours. It was nice.

caviar is also overrated, hate that popping feeling
I don’t notice too much popping with caviar. Not that I can remember the last time I ate it. Lumpfish roe does pop, though. I must admit, I like caviar, but it’s just too expensive for what it is.

Back