Owl Woodworks Collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm really looking forward to sharing my knife collection here, and what better way to start things off than with the knife that brought me to this forum in the first place!

Sincerely,
Luke

Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #1 Kaiju 240mm Gyuto

Length: 235mm
Height: 53mm
Thickness: 4mm
Weight: 235g

I am so unbelievably happy with this knife. I received it used from a good friend of mine and immediately took it to some potatoes in order to make my wife breakfast for dinner. It feels like a thin laser going into food, but it has the weight of a workhorse carrying it through which is a combination I've never experienced before. As a woodworker though, my favourite part of this knife is the handle. I've seen a lot of Kaiju's but this one's handle really won me over. The zircote handle has the darker portion on one side, and the lighter grain on the other. This would be cool as is, however the buffalo horn ferrule is positioned to match it with a dark marbled side and a lighter blonde side. Maybe it was an accident, maybe the handle maker did it intentionally. Either way, I can't believe how beautiful it is. Back to the blade, the kasumi finish is beautiful and very easy to maintain. After using it I promptly busted out the finger stones that came with it to remove some of the previous owners marks as well as the patina I had just formed from dinner. It was a shockingly easy process and yielded excellent results. In the end, this knife has been everything I'd hoped it would be. I fully expect this to be one of the daily drivers in my collection.

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01456.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01451.jpg

Last edited:

MowgFace

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm really looking forward to sharing my knife collection here, and what better way to start things off than with the knife that brought me to this forum in the first place!

Sincerely,
Luke

I am so unbelievably happy with this knife. I received it used from a good friend of mine and immediately took it to some potatoes in order to make my wife breakfast for dinner. It feels like a thin laser going into food, but it has the weight of a workhorse carrying it through which is a combination I've never experienced before. As a woodworker though, my favourite part of this knife is the handle. I've seen a lot of Kaiju's but this one's handle really won me over. The zircote handle has the darker portion on one side, and the lighter grain on the other. This would be cool as is, however the buffalo horn ferrule is positioned to match it with a dark marbled side and a lighter blonde side. Maybe it was an accident, maybe the handle maker did it intentionally. Either way, I can't believe how beautiful it is. Back to the blade, the kasumi finish is beautiful and very easy to maintain. After using it I promptly busted out the finger stones that came with it to remove some of the previous owners marks as well as the patina I had just formed from dinner. It was a shockingly easy process and yielded excellent results. In the end, this knife has been everything I'd hoped it would be. I fully expect this to be one of the daily drivers in my collection.

View attachment 194172
View attachment 194169
View attachment 194166
View attachment 194167
View attachment 194170
View attachment 194168

Is that an island of cladding towards the tip?

gentiscid

Reaction score
Is that an island of cladding towards the tip?

My 255 FM has one too, doesnt bother and its undetectable by touch. Just cosmetic!

Attachments

• F1A55A67-5CC4-402F-8DB6-B9E19E4B935F.jpeg
    F1A55A67-5CC4-402F-8DB6-B9E19E4B935F.jpeg
    726.7 KB · Views: 0

friz

Reaction score
I’m actually not sure. I’ll admit I don’t know how to tell a used finger stone from an unused one and I never thought to ask!
Thanks! It would be cool to know the feedback on those finger stones.

Reaction score
Or where to source one, I have a kono tetsujin and fm that I assume have the same / a similar finish
The finish really isn’t as similar as it may seem. The defining feature of the Kaiju and its value proposition to me is that they are all handworked on stones for the final polish. This means the geometry comes perfect with absolutely no low spots and is ready for easy stone-kasumi maintenance. I can’t think of any other gyuto that comes fully polished like that. Even high end very well ground gyutos could easily need 5-10 hours of skilled work to get to where the Kaiju comes stock.

As for finger-stones, pretty sure they’re just soft Ohira uchigumori. You can get them from a number of sources, but they’re fairly expensive at retail. You can also buy uchigumori koppa and make your own with some patience. They’re handy, but really are just the final makeup of any polish, they won’t effectively erase scratches etc on their own.

Edit - looking back at Kono and Tosho provided info, Ivan spends 6+ hours on each one of these after getting the finished blade from Myojin.

Last edited:

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Hi,

Sincerely,
Luke

View attachment 194172
View attachment 194169
View attachment 194166
View attachment 194167
View attachment 194170
View attachment 194168

Bravo! Well done.

simar

Reaction score
Edit - looking back at Kono and Tosho provided info, Ivan spends 6+ hours on each one of these after getting the finished blade from Myojin.
The value proposition there is unbelievable for the consumer. Having flattened a single bevel in a class with Ivan ages ago, I can tell you its worth every penny to me so I can avoid that labor.

Reaction score
Neil Kamimura Damascus San Mai 225 Workhorse Chef

Length: 225mm
Height: 56mm
Thickness: 6mm
Weight: 333g

There aren't many knives that could follow up a Kaiju, but this is definitely one of them. This is my most recent acquisition, Neil's third ever sanmai knife. I saw him etch it on instagram before it was finished and I was immediately stricken by it. I gave him a call to see if it was available, and after a little convincing, he agreed to let me buy it. Over the coming days he finished it off with a stunning koa handle and a mokume bolster from Peter Swarz-Burt. I've owned a couple pieces by Neil and this is easily his best work that I've seen. I especially love that this piece is so classic Neil and Hawaii. His classic western handle shape, beautiful Hawaiian Koa, and mokume from another incredible Hawaiian knife maker. I don't really have a true workhorse in my collection so this is a lovely addition from an incredible maker.

DSC01467.jpg
DSC01470.jpg
DSC01473.jpg
DSC01471.jpg
DSC01487.jpg
DSC01480.jpg
DSC01477.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Catcheside 260 Forged Geometry Gyuto

Length: 260mm
Height: 56.5mm
Thickness: 5.5mm
Weight: 279g
Steel: Wrought Iron/C105
Handle: Tasmanian Blackwood/Sheep Horn

Another recent acquisition which is very interesting because it is the only knife in my collection I really don’t like. I purchased it from a good buddy of mine who felt that of all the knives in his extensive collection, this was one of, if not the best cutting knife he owned. It’s very different from anything else I own so I was extremely interested to try it.

I gave it quite a few try’s, adjusted my cutting technique multiple times and just couldn’t enjoy it. I’m not saying it’s bad”, but it’s definitely not right for me. I can appreciate a lot of different grinds from a single bevel Yanick, to a Kaiju to a Kamimura that most people feel is ground like an axe but I can’t get over how beautifully it cuts. So yea, maybe it’s terrible, or maybe I’m just an idiot that doesn’t know how to use it properly (likely the latter), but either way, it’s not for me.

Another thing which I don’t like about this knife is the handle. Will advertised this as a “Special Edition” handle, and I do not get it at all. It is simply a blocky rectangle with bevels run down the edges. I can appreciate a simple or more traditional handle like on Japanese knives, but this is not that. It is made of luxurious materials, but executed quite poorly.

On the exact opposite end of the spectrum though, wow this blade is gorgeous. The finish and work that goes into his steel is absolutely incredible and I can see why people love his forged geometry and finish so much. I just wish he put the same time and effort into his handles.

At the end of the day, this has been one of my favourite purchases because it has taught me a lot. I’ve discovered what I don’t like for the first time and it’s given me a tremendous appreciation for the work he puts into his blades. Overall, I don’t think this is a unique or bad knife from Will, I think this is just how he does things, and it’s not what I’m looking for.

You’ll likely see this up in the BST in the coming days as it’s simply not a good fit for me.

DSC01524.jpg
DSC01525.jpg
DSC01526.jpg
DSC01527.jpg
DSC01530.jpg
DSC01535.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Artificery Stainless Damascus Slicer

Length: 275mm
Height: 35mm
Thickness: 3.3mm
Weight: 175g
Steel: AEB-L/CPM 154
Handle: Ironwood

A Will Brigham knife is something I just never thought I'd own. While that was a little depressing, I had come to terms with it and moved on. I had mentioned to couple of my friends how much I would love to own a piece from Will and as I often find, I have better friends than I deserve. My buddy, who I didn't even know had this knife, offered to sell this to me at cost and I don't think I've ever said yes faster. I am as excited about it now as I was the first day I got it.

It is obviously an extremely unique piece, but I see it as a very classic piece from Will. It's his world renowned in house stainless random damascus paired with his classic heavily textured ironwood handle. The elephant in the room however is obviously the hole in the knife. As Will explained it, he was grinding in the hollows and simply went too far. He realized this when he could push on the blade on one side with his finger nail (super cool to see on his IG), and see where he was bending the material on the other. He measured the thinnest point at the centre of the hollow grind at 0.001". While this would normally make the blade a throw away, he instead decided to cut away the entire centre section of the blade, now referring to it as a design choice meant to make the blade lighter and DRASTICALLY improve food release.

Obviously something like this wouldn't fly on a chef knife, but on a big slicer like this which I only really bust out when I have a big slab of meat to serve, it's a really fun and cool knife to use.

Another thing I should comment on is the handle. The texture is remarkable as it's almost like he sand blasted away the softer portions of the grain. He very likely has documented this on his IG, but I haven't seen it so this is my guess. It also has a finish on it which almost makes it feel plastic. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it feels incredibly solid and like I could throw this thing in a hot sink for an hour and it would come out just fine. So it's nice to have a knife that feels so low maintenance and tolerant of abuse. On the other hand, I prefer a more natural finish where you can feel the wood a bit more I guess. Certainly not saying it's bad, it's just unique.

Anyways, I'm still swooning over this knife and I think I will be for quite some time.

DSC01621.jpg
DSC01630.jpg
DSC01626.jpg
DSC01628.jpg
DSC01629.jpg
DSC01649.jpg
DSC01627.jpg