Ox-tail. Removing the fat

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
My home is subjected to random blackouts to prevent wildfires. Super annoying.

but it’s a great reason to eat down my food storage. I had two entire oxtail left. I cooked both! It’s a lot. Slow cooking is my favorite way to cook.
it’s nuts how much fat gets rendered. I resort to cooking it the evening before completely and chill it down overnight. This allows me to pull off the chilled fat-cap in one sweep.

I’ll add fresh veg tomorrow. Peas, onions, maybe some squash chunks. Simple reheat tomorrow.

any other way to remove excess fat?

Last edited:
I can't speak for a better fat removal process but seems to me some pressure canning should be in the works. Pressure canning soups and stews is easy enough if you are not doing so already and power outages will not effect them.

I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of this oxtail goodness.

... I resort to cooking it the evening before completely and chill it down overnight. This allows me to pull off the chilled fat-cap in one sweep.

I think you have the best and most complete method right there. anything else and you will leave behind more fat.
pain in the ars, but I have finally gotten used to doing the two-step. I actually think the flavor is more full when heated twice .

Like you said, it's amazing how much fat these badboys render. Even a simple chicken gives a full coverage cap. Yikes!

My gran used to use the rendering from bacon and smear it on toast... lol
He lived into his 90s... lolx2 I won't tempt fate though. nasty stuff. terrific rust prevention though.

I think you have the best and most complete method right there. anything else and you will leave behind more fat.
pain in the ars, but I have finally gotten used to doing the two-step. I actually think the flavor is more full when heated twice .

Like you said, it's amazing how much fat these badboys render. Even a simple chicken gives a full coverage cap. Yikes!

My gran used to use the rendering from bacon and smear it on toast... lol
He lived into his 90s... lolx2 I won't tempt fate though. nasty stuff. terrific rust prevention though.
thanks bud. i have a ZOOM meeting right at my normal dinner time tonight, so i am thankful dinner is ready. just a simple reheat.

i will warm the "juice" and buzz it with my stick blender to hide the veggies. :). cooked potatoes make a nice silky sauce.

beer chilled for the zoom meeting.

I can't speak for a better fat removal process but seems to me some pressure canning should be in the works. Pressure canning soups and stews is easy enough if you are not doing so already and power outages will not effect them.

I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of this oxtail goodness.
i'll try to snap a quick pic. wont be a great image..sun goes down so early now. :(

Boom: Maybe not along your original thought process but..... we really like oxtail in a pot of beans. Just cook them for 6-8 hours together and the meat falls off the bones. Tastes really good!

Back