Oy Vey ist Meir

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My (99% ex) gf's daughter is getting married and she wants to buy them a knife like the one I left (and apparently abandoned) with her. It's a Gesshin Uraku 165 skd santoku, which I always thought was a really nice knife to hand someone who didn't use knives very often. My problem is that Jon doesn't have them in stock and I'd rather get her something sooner than later. So, I'm looking for a wa handle (semi) stainless santoku, as noted below.

It amazed me the knife I left her has held up so well, I had an Uraku Stainless gyuto I bought at the same time that I didn't like as well at all, but this santoku was a real champ.

I think those red handled takamuras would be too delicate for him, he's a pretty tall guy. Also, I'll also send JKI a note, see if they're in stock anytime soon.

I also may give them a 180 nakiri I never use, I'll see. I'd have to clean it up a little.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Santoku

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Wa, gotta have it. If this wasn't such a big deal, I'd probably tell her to buy him a Mac and be done with it.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 165-180. I've never used a 180 santoku, I'm not sure if it's a good size for this knife type. They mostly seem to be 165.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Semi Stainless preferred, but definitely carbon is OUT

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 200-ish. Could be less. She has no idea what the knife she "claimed" was worth. I may lie to her about the price, pick up some of the cost myself.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home by a primarily Asian cook. Not a knife nut at all, but they all loved my knife.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) General all around. I'm hoping he'll not hack up Hainanese Chicken with it.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? You can't even imagine....

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) I bet they're hammer grippers. The new son-in-law does much of the cooking, he's from Shanghai, but was never that interested in a cleaver.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? His knife skills are better than I would have expected.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Really, an Uraku clone. The size, finish, steel are really perfect for him

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) This should change in the template to (list all that are applicable). He probably uses poly, it goes in the dishwasher. They'll hand wash the knife.

Do you sharpen your own knives? I'll get him a shapton 2k to go with it, hope for the best.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? As noted, I'll lead the horse to water, it's up to him whether he'll drink.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? Me personally? You can bet your bottom dollar on that one!

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

As you discovered, sooooo many santokus are sold out all over.

Harukaze (made by Tsunehisa) G3 Nashiji Santoku 165mm sold at CKTG would be a good consideration. They also have a Kohetsu SLD 170mm in stock along with a Tsnuehisa G3 Migaki and Tsunehisa SRS13 all of which are in your range.

Real Sharp Knives (in NY) has a handful in stock in your range:
https://realsharpknife.com/collections/santoku-bunka?sort_by=price-ascending

Last edited:
I did some digging and found these two SKD santokus, one is branded as a Yoshihiro and the other as a house brand under YuiSenri. They both look eerily close to the JKI santoku! 👍

Last edited:
well rickb, I had the Uraku on my shortlist of knives to try. So after you inquired about it today, I ran off to see if I could locate one.

I also stumbled across this lil beauty, a Yoshikane.

I initially joined when seeking a few knives for home cooking. I enjoy nice knives but aren't terribly obsessed with them. I haven't been here for at least 5 or 6 yrs.

Now I'm going to sell a few of my knives, (that I don't use anymore), and looking for others...ie. a santoku, a petty and a 210 gyuto.

Last edited:
well rickb, I had the Uraku on my shortlist of knives to try. So after you inquired about it today, I ran off to see if I could locate one.

I also stumbled across this lil beauty, a Yoshikane.

I initially joined when seeking a few knives for home cooking. I enjoy nice knives but aren't terribly obsessed with them. I haven't been here for at least 5 or 6 yrs.

Now I'm going to sell a few of my knives, (that I don't use anymore), and looking for others...ie. a santoku, a petty and a 210 gyuto.
There’s lots of knives nowadays that are white steel with stainless cladding that are good value for the money. As long as you wipe your blade down within five minutes or so of using it, they’re pretty easy to live with.

I like wakui in this category but there’s a ton of them out there. I switched almost completely away from stainless gyutos once I started using them. Easy to sharpen.

This Wakui from Epicurean Edge meets most of the criteria. I have it. It's stainless-clad, not very reactive and overall a great little knife. I think it's a little thinner than some other Wakuis. Available in 165mm or 180mm. It's taller than many santokus (which to me is a positive). The migaki finish is very nice, too.

This Wakui from Epicurean Edge meets most of the criteria. I have it. It's stainless-clad, not very reactive and overall a great little knife. I think it's a little thinner than some other Wakuis. Available in 165mm or 180mm. It's taller than many santokus (which to me is a positive). The migaki finish is very nice, too.
Those wakuis are great; I have that knife as a 180 gyuto and it’s fantastic. Unfortunately it would inevitably rust if I gave it to them so I’m thinking semi stainless or bust. Thanks though, ordinarily this would be a great recommendation.

Back