OZ specific: where to buy good (timber) cutting board?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outofgamut

Reaction score
A question to my fellow Australian knife users.

I'm looking for somewhere domestic (Australia) to buy a good quality (kind to knives, well made) and good looking timber cutting board. I have a really nice one I bought recently but it's a bit too small and the maker, Cutting Edge Timber, unfortunately went out of business.

Now: I've got a Hasegawa but - I have to say - I'm not a fan. For once I dislike how it forces the blade, I don't like how quickly it stains and - while not ugly - it's also not particularly pretty. I'd also go international (would love to) but the shipping costs usually prohibit this. I do have Amazon Prime if there was something available there.

Any pointers?

I have two Choppa Block boards. They are excellent and brilliant to deal with. Only thing I suggest is before using, really soak in the mineral oil for a few days - this will help with longevity.

Last edited:
I've only heard good things about Choppa Block.

I have an edge grain Tasmanian Blackwood board (from another maker) which looks great, but if I was in the market today I'd be looking at end grain.

I have a Aomori Hiba board which I picked up from ProTooling. You will get free shipping if you are to go any size larger than medium.

It does not require any oiling. Just prior to cleaning; pour boiling water all over then you're good to go with your soap and non-abrasive scrub.

I do not have any other experience with any other boards as I've come from using plastic boards to this but what I have found to be pleasant is the sound/sing when the knife makes contact with the board.

Consensus clearly seems to be Choppablock. My only concern is that their woods all seem to be on the harder side of things. As @Nemo says, Tassie Oak is right in the sweet spot regarding Janka hardness but it’s also not particularly beautiful.

I wish we had easy access to N American fruit tree timbers like cherry or walnut.

With Australian species, you don't get too many options that are not at the very hard end of the spectrum. Tassie oak is probably your best choice.

Or go with Tasmanian celery wood. I had that made by a woodworker friend of mine in Brisbane. It is quite soft (much softer than Tassie oak) and super friendly to knife edges. It was amazing how much longer my knives stayed sharp once I stopped using an edge-grain bamboo board.)

Send me a PM if you want details.

Last edited:
Mine is Jarrah which looks very nice. In retrospect, it's harder than I would prefer but it doesn't murder my edges.

I found a nice woodworker on gumtree making end grain boards with their scraps of tassie oak / vic ash for very very decent prices.

Chinese use this circular tropical wood board ,very durable.
diameter 30cm. (wood from VN).

Attachments

• IMG-20210424-WA0036.jpeg
    IMG-20210424-WA0036.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 7
Back