paprika

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has any tried making paprika from homegrown peppers? I have a load of pimento peppers in my dehydrater right now but it seems like it is taking for ever to get them down to the stage I think I can grind into dry powder.

My experiences doing this:
1. they take an awfully long time to dehydrate, yep
2. if you're dehydrating them to grind immediately, cut them open, it'll speed the dehydration
3. no matter how long i dehydrate the peppers, my grinding yields 50% powder, 50% very small flakes, probably due to my grinder being suboptimal

Yeah, dehydrating smaller pieces is definitely key to speediness. What temp is your dehydrator running at? Peppers are something you might consider doing in the oven at a low temp.

How about blitzing them first and then dehydrate them, and blitz again? Would maximize surface area.

I grow leutschauer paprika peppers each year. I will split the pepper and remove the seeds and stem. Next, I dehydrate at 135f for 6 to 8 hours, sometimes more. I find that skin up on the rack works best. After they are dry, I grind in a dedicated coffee grinder. This yields powder and some small flakes like @anko said above. I do not use any type of anticaking agent and just break up clumps as needed. Works well enough for me and has a far superior aroma and flavor to anything I have seen in a store.

Thanks Twigg. That is pretty much what I did this year. Just haven't got around to using any of the powder in my cooking. Guess I need to find a Hungarian recipe!

Latest posts

Back