Parer, Petty, Gyuto, Gyuto or Parer, Petty, Guyto, Suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you who don't use a suji as an all-arounder, do you really slice enough meat to justify a suji? I don't make a lot of large roasts, so the gyuto would be more than good enough for me. I'll pick one up if I start cooking more roasts. I think I'm asking this question at the wrong place, lol. So let me rephrase it as: if you wouldn't use a suji much, wouldn't you rather have money for a bunch of other knives?

.... So let me rephrase it as: if you wouldn't use a suji much, wouldn't you rather have money for a bunch of other knives?

No. For me it's like having my stand mixer, stick blender or food processor. I don't use any of them very often but when I do need them they are the best tool for the task at hand. If you were to think about it how many tools do you have around your house that you don't use very often but are really glad you bought it when you needed it.

Those of you who don't use a suji as an all-arounder, do you really slice enough meat to justify a suji? I don't make a lot of large roasts, so the gyuto would be more than good enough for me. I'll pick one up if I start cooking more roasts. I think I'm asking this question at the wrong place, lol. So let me rephrase it as: if you wouldn't use a suji much, wouldn't you rather have money for a bunch of other knives?

I don't think that any1 here justifies their buys on a purely need basis lol..

If you expect to use it only rarely, just get a simpler one. A FKH 270 costs some $70. I wished I'd bought mine years before.

Back