Parer, Petty, Gyuto, Gyuto or Parer, Petty, Guyto, Suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
What woruld you choose

Set 1:
90 parer
120 petty
200 Gyuto
240 Gyuto

or

Set 2:
90 parer
120 petty
210 Guyto
270 Suji

?

Set two, I find myself using a 270 suji often, but I would make the 210 gyuto a 225.

I would bump up the 120 petty to a 150 petty or even 180. 90 and 120 are too close.

The second I'd say but I think they both have a few issues. A 200 and 240 gyuto are too similar I think, whereas a 270 suji does a lot a 210 gyuto can't. I'd go for a 180 or 210 petty and a 240 gyuto with the 270 suji if I had a choice personally. A 8cm parer and a 12 cm petty are too similar I think.

In work 99% of the time I use an 8cm parer 210 petty and 270 gyuto

90mm paring knife, 150mm petty, 225mm gyuto, 270mm suji... that would be a pretty sweet home set IMHO

I'm with Jon on this. But really can't go wrong.

90 parer
180 petty
210 or 225 gyuto
240 suji
In my opinion, bigger isn't really better for a home chef.

I like Jon's combo too. I would definitely bump the petty up to 150 IMO.

k.

Edit: Btw, I think you post title would have been clearer if you had titled it: "90, 120, 200, 240 or 90, 120, 210, 270" ;)

I second the 2nd set but I'd prefer a shorter parer (Hattori Forum parer is perfect in my opinion).

Good thread. Now lets remove one knife from the mix. What would you recommend for a 3 knife set for the typical home kitchen where you are going to have to deal with smaller cutting boards and 24 inch countertops that have junk lined up against the backsplash? Would some combination of say a parer, a 150mm petty (the classic 6 inch utility knife for lack of a better term) and a Gyuto in the 210-225mm range fit the bill? Could the 210mm small suji be an option in lieu of the 150 petty if you say replaced the parer with a 120mm petty and kept the gyuto?

Any set with a suji is a winner in my book.

I would go:
90 parer (if you really need one)
150 honesuki (can double as a petty for many things...just used mine to dice tomatos, chop scallions and slice the thinnest red onion)
240 gyuto
270 suji

I would just forgo the parer, and gett 225mm gyuto, 270mm suji, and 180mm gyuto (I am using mine 180mm just as much as my 270mm gyuto) instead. 240mm suji is probably OK, but a little extra length would be helpful carving meat.

I know that I'm often the odd man out on this, but I never really got into the petty fan club. I just feel like a parer is always better for air-work and for things too big for the parer (smaller on the board tasks) I'd rather use something with better knuckle clearance than most petty's like my Carter 225mm funa.
The only sub 200mm knives that I ever use that aren't a parer are my Carter SFGZ riveted funa because it's very tall for it's size and my 180mm Mizuno deba.

I like the suggestion to replace the petty with a honsuki as it's good to have at least 1 stouter-bladed knife. Plus, a good one could possibly replace both a petty and a deba if you're doing more poultry than fish.
I also have a fondness for big, 270 gyutos, but after using my medium-thick 225 Carter Funa I realize that the only time that I really NEED a longer blade, the need could be easily met by a 270 suji.

So, my vote would be:

- Small parer (<or= 90mm)
- honsuki (maybe a slightly lager, stouter one at ~180mm)
- 225 gyuto
- 270 or > suji

If I really HAD to get the set down to 3, my first choice would be to drop the parer, my 2nd would be to replace the gyuto and suji with a long, low 270mm gyuto (Marko or Masamoto KS style).

for me-
honkatsu
****** plastic paring knife
240mm gyuto
240mm suji

I'd go with lefty's set with the suji bumped up to 270, a 225 gyuto. If I had to remove a kinfe from this set, I'd take away the 180 petty and drop the gyuto to a 210.

225 sounds like it's a pretty popular gyuto length for many of you, but I never see them for sale at that length.

225 sounds like it's a pretty popular gyuto length for many of you, but I never see them for sale at that length.

really there arent too many of them... i just figured that since he always talks about markos knives that size was an option and it might fit well

Haven't seen alot of them either, but figured that it would be a good length to have to use as a line knife or a home knife.

Actually, these are not knives I am making for him. Those got to be coming from the west somewhere. :)

225mm gyuto on the edge is about 240mm from tip to handle, so it's a good size knife, as long as height at a heel and weight is adequate. My personal preference is 180, 225, and 255-260mm (on the edge) for gyutos. I can use each for different tasks.

M

I have a DT ITK 240 gyuto that i put a mondo chip in. The chip was well past my ability to fix so i had Dave take a look at it. He worked wonders, the knife came back 15 mm shorter and lost 5 or so mm in height, effectively making a 225 gyuto.

I now wonder how I did without. The size is perfect for a home cook and very versatile for a pro.

225 is a sweet spot for me.

If you like your 225mm blades "medium thick" and have an extra $553.12 lying around, here you go:

http://www.cartercutlery.com/japane...uki-medium-thick-ho-wood-handlewater-buffalo-

That's very similar to the one that I got, mine just has an ebony handle is is a bit taller. When you read "medium thick" don't think "thick"; it's as thin behind the edge and cuts as well as anything that I've ever used. It's not too thick at any point that wedging is even a remote concern, but it's nice and rigid and released pretty well.

I still like the 240 length just fine, but to me, 240 is just too close to 270. When I use a 240 it doesnt feel that much nimbler than a 270 and I end up just feeling like I might as well just use a 270. The 220ish range is enough smaller than a 270 that I can feel a real benefit in terms of maneuverability and it's still substantial enough that I don't want for more edge length unless I'm doing a lot of slicing on a big chunk of something or trying to process a ton of produce.

I gave a 210 Tojiro ITK as a "first knife" gift as it's a great compromise between non-intimidating stature, easily handling, and general use utility as to not feel "under gunned(knifed)" in most home kitchen scenarios.

After playing around with a few sizes, I'm thinking this is what I want to work towards:

80 parer
210-225 petty (or split this into 150-180 petty and 210 gyuto)
255-260 gyuto

Measurements would be heel to tip.

Back