Parts of a Japanese knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Hello :)

I thought I would leave this here for new Japanese knife users. I used it when I first started learning about Japanese knives and I found it really useful. It is in Korin's old catalog and is being used on our website under our learn page.

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 11.39.43 AM.png

Hope it is useful to you too. :D

Thank you so much, Mari. Very helpful indeed. One question though if you don't mind. Is there in Japanese one single word "ago" for both heel and choil? The picture seems to indicate as a heel what I would call a choil. I must admit, I may be my poor English as well.

Thank you so much, Mari. Very helpful indeed. One question though if you don't mind. Is there in Japanese one single word "ago" for both heel and choil? The picture seems to indicate as a heel what I would call a choil. I must admit, I may be my poor English as well.

I usually hear the ago translated to heel for knives. I might be wrong here, but I tried googling it just in case. It looks like choil is typically used for pocket knives.

Gator (ZKnives) uses Ago for the Chin. The corner where the choil and the blade meet that likes to cut me.

Back