Pass Around: Cris Anderson 245mm gyuto, Nitro-V

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For other knife steel nerds, here's an article from Larrin Thomas (Hoss' or Devin Thomas' son) with info and testing of Nitro-V steel which is the stainless steel used in this knife. It's a steel based on modification of AEB-L by adding a pinch of nitrogen and vanadium.

Larrin's article here:
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/09/23/nitro-v-its-properties-and-how-to-heat-treat-it/

One of the advantages of AEB-L is it's higher toughness than other stainless steels and the fine microstructure that makes it easy to sharpen. It seems Nitro-V still has the same properties as AEB-L with a possible increase in corrosion resistance.

As I mentioned previously, it was extremely easy to sharpen this knife. I did do only the minimum that I felt was needed to give a decent working edge which resulted in what I felt was a pretty toothy edge.

I didn't use it long enough after sharpening to judge edge retention but I did enjoy using it to make a large curry. The blade is really tall as is in vogue nowadays. For me the height and angle of the handle isn't optimal for my normal use, though as @thebradleycrew mentioned, it only took a minor adjustment for me to enjoy it more.

The knife cubed hard sweet potato nicely. I compared it with my similar sized Takeda gyuto and the CJA makes the large cuts thru intact sweet potatoes easier than the Takeda. However, similar to the Takeda, the blade is light for the size and I prefer more overall weight.

Slicing and push cutting bell peppers, squash, and mushrooms was great. Maybe a little sticking of wet pieces of squash on the blade moreso than the Takeda but not suctioned on (fell off with a flick).

Carrot cut test was very easy. This knife is ground thin behind the edge. The edge is thin enough to deflect on my fingernail, and I'm sure it would pass the old knifemakers' brass rod test. This is when you roll the edge along a brass rod and see the edge deflect without chipping showing your heat treat and temper came out "nice"; geometry of this CJA is also important because the grind needed to be thin enough to deflect on my fingernail to the point it was visible. It's not scientific, but I feel this knife is a nice balance of thin behind the edge with toughness to back it up without being chippy.
Kw08SZKnlpdvmbhmeZr09lQJuwnENJ9LKo1N-J2Af4srEPvuPL3xkwBKpGXhH4xCd1rRoPrkkccR_UJbfw-A8dKYptE

As I mentioned, the grind seems to be a "diamond grind" where the blade not only tapers from the "shinogi" to the cutting edge but also thins out a little from "shinogi" to the spine. My guess is this is designed to push or encourage pieces to fall off as it reaches the ridge in the middle of the blade and be an advantage to reduce sticktion when going through tall hard foods. However, out of all the stuff I cut (veggies and tofu) it didn't seem to make a difference, but I'm guessing the grind probably will help discourage sticktion through tall hard foods that I didn't try it on. This could be an important performance tweak for tall blades like this one.

If the extra tall profile and handle angle works for you, it's a beautiful knife. And life is too short to use an ugly knife!

Thanks to @thebradleycrew for putting on this passaround. It was very fun to use this knife!

Last edited:
Sounds good - also, post about what knives you used in the comparison video, will you? Should provide a good reference point. I think one was a Yoshikane SLD, and the other might be a Mazaki? Just curious.
Thats what they looked like to me.

Here are some of my thoughts:

As everyone could already tell from the photos, fit and finish are phenomenal. This knife is a looker. Handle is very comfortable and I didn't really feel the angle of the heel to get in the way except the first time I pull cut. It was an easy correction to make.

I was surprised at how light it felt once I picked it up. I'll be honest, I thought I wouldn't actually be into the knife but then I started using it. In no way did it feel dainty or inadequate. Cris Anderson made a really nice performer here. Tip work is easy and I enjoyed push cutting back by the heel the most. It kind of reminded me of why I like Chinese cleavers. Thin behind the edge, but has weight back by the heel.

The grind was interesting aesthetically, for sure. Food release was decent. I did notice larger pieces of irregularly shaped produce (like broccoli) would slide off as I lifted the knife more frequently than when using traditional grinds. Overall, the knife is ground well and it looks cool.

I touched the knife up on a JKI synthetic natural. Steel felt smooth. A lot like my experience with Devin and Robin's AEB-L.

The only real negative thing I have to say about the knife is when doing lots of fine cuts like brunoise, the ingredients continually climbed up the face of the blade and that got irritating. Because the blade is so tall, there were even more clinging to the bladeface. A minor complaint.

Overall, I really enjoyed using the knife. It's a highly functional piece of art. I would be proud to own such a fine tool. Thanks to @thebradleycrew again for doing this. Worth the price of admission and then some!

Here are some of my thoughts:

As everyone could already tell from the photos, fit and finish are phenomenal. This knife is a looker. Handle is very comfortable and I didn't really feel the angle of the heel to get in the way except the first time I pull cut. It was an easy correction to make.

I was surprised at how light it felt once I picked it up. I'll be honest, I thought I wouldn't actually be into the knife but then I started using it. In no way did it feel dainty or inadequate. Cris Anderson made a really nice performer here. Tip work is easy and I enjoyed push cutting back by the heel the most. It kind of reminded me of why I like Chinese cleavers. Thin behind the edge, but has weight back by the heel.

The grind was interesting aesthetically, for sure. Food release was decent. I did notice larger pieces of irregularly shaped produce (like broccoli) would slide off as I lifted the knife more frequently than when using traditional grinds. Overall, the knife is ground well and it looks cool.

I touched the knife up on a JKI synthetic natural. Steel felt smooth. A lot like my experience with Devin and Robin's AEB-L.

The only real negative thing I have to say about the knife is when doing lots of fine cuts like brunoise, the ingredients continually climbed up the face of the blade and that got irritating. Because the blade is so tall, there were even more clinging to the bladeface. A minor complaint.

Overall, I really enjoyed using the knife. It's a highly functional piece of art. I would be proud to own such a fine tool. Thanks to @thebradleycrew again for doing this. Worth the price of admission and then some!
MY pleasure. Thank you for the great write up - glad you had a chance to use and enjoy it!

The knife is on the way to the next destination as of this morning.

Here are some thoughts, though take it with a grain of salt as I expected to really like it .. and I did.
I'm also coming from relatively budget side of knife world, previous 'best cutters" being Shibata Kotetsu 180 and Dalman 275.

Knife
  • F&F is exceptional, handle install is excellent, properly rounded spine and choil, also seems slightly darker color?
  • Handle smaller than I’d like, but normal size, comfy in any grip. Looks better wet.
  • Heal not too fat, nearly no wedging. Heal authority is of a middle-weight knife, added to the hight feels pretty awesome.
  • Tip is thin and extra light. The whole knife is light so tip has no authority.
  • Lighter than I thought, with a strong bias in balance towards the center (since the tip is too light).
  • Some flex in the upper part of the blade, none about half way down.
  • Medium-to-laserish overall for my feel.
  • Tip somehow didn't fly though stuff as easily as Shibata
  • Silly sharp edge .. best yet I've used, thank you previous people.
  • Height is good, surprisingly. I thought it might be too much. Maybe 60mm would be a touch comfier for my wrist angle (given my height and counter height).
  • The profile seems pretty perfect for me, a great flat spot, and just a slight belly, but I don't rock.
  • Fingerprint magnet finish.
  • Feels smooth sliding into the knife block, smoother than my other high polish knives.
  • For a pretty thin knife, the food separation at heel is great on tall hard stuff. Not great for smaller things, especially wet, rides all the way up. Tip isn't tall enough for much to stick to it, though smaller things like green onions do stick there.
  • Beautiful smooth tip draws though fish and meat. Seems almost better with pull cuts then push cuts.
  • Forward swept choil makes for a longer overall knife, but for aggressive pinch grip, it’s great as it doesn’t waste the first few inches of the knife.
  • Looks dope .. and life is too short to use an ugly knife.
.. so yeh, I really like it. Best knife I used yet for my tastes. Though I wouldn't be giving up my Dalman or even Shibata quite yet.

The competition (aligned to handle)
Dalman 275 on left and Shinko 270 on right.
IMG_20200430_215836.jpg

Hey! Yep it’s at my house. Been super fun to use though the weather has me in the garden more than the kitchen. I’ll post my thoughts in a bit.

Back