Pass around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-15_zps5cc86966.jpg

if you don't mind can you post the order of who it goes to just encase the list doesn't make it. :angryspin:

So here is the mailing order:

TK59
Pensacola Tiger
Johnny Chance
Kalaeb
Mainaman
iMac
Chuckles
ThEory
Miles
Crothcipt

Also thanks Rick for the help with that attachment, I'm a bit of a computer idiot!

The passaround knife arrived yesterday. :)

Things have been pretty hot at work. Hopefully, this makes sense:

Fit and finish: B* This is very comfortable knife to hold and use. All of the edges are eased/rounded nicely. The handle is mounted correctly, to my eye. The handle components did not mate perfectly and the handle construction could use some help. One of the joints failed leading to a handle that flexed. I would say either you need a dowel in there or it needs to fit better. It looks like part of the finishing took place after the handle was attached and there is a rusty area at the machi. The place where the blade goes into the handle is not sealed well.

Sharpenability: B-* Steel is very easy to grind and the burr is removed fairly easily. I found it difficult to get to my sharpness standards without using a strop. Part of it was the edge was ground in unevenly and I did not make an effort to regrind the bevels completely.

Edge retention: C* The stock edge lasted a good amount of time. The blade did not hold onto the same kind of bite that most other blades do with my standard edge and there wasn’t much chipping. Perhaps, it is a bit soft?

Cutting performance: B+ This blade passed through pretty much anything I put in front of it with less than average resistance in spite of the fact it is a fairly thick knife (at the spine) even at the tip. Release was typical of knives with a little convexity to them. That is, it wasn’t amazing but not terrible either. The blade could stand to be thinner at the edge. The profile was not to my liking but it didn’t prevent me from enjoying it more than most first timer passaround knife.

Other: The heel was raised and thin but the area in front of the heel was thick. It works fine but the heel is almost useless and looks wierd. Also, the bevels come out particularly wide in that area, if that matters to you. This steel is pretty reactive too. Now that I've used it quite a bit, it reminds me of underhardened 1085 or maybe 1095.

Overall: C*

I put a bunch of asterisks because the fact of the matter is the knife cuts very well. The handle construction may need some real work. The edge taking/holding isn't overly impressive, nor is the profile. I enjoyed using the knife for the most part though.

One more thing... After consulting with Heath, I did an ugly Krazyglue job on the handle. Hopefully, it holds. :O

This has my attention. Let's hope it all works out ok.

A compliment from Tinh on your first isn't anything to scoff at, though. :)

Tinh, I want to thank you for some really great feedback on the knife. Hearing hard/bad news is never easy, but this is just the sort of thing that helps one to improve. I thought the details were to the point and clearly stated so that I know exactly what needs to improve. Thanks again!:goodpost:

Sorry to ask, but is it too late to jump on? Something about your knives and the profile makes me wanna try. If its too late, that's cool, just hoping.

I just remembered, I really liked the size and proportions of the handle. :thumbsup:

So to all my fellow Texans, and anyone else interested. Anyone is more than welcome to stop in and see what is.going on. The more the merrier!

I have to work the next couple weekends. I definitly want to come by and check things out. How about the weekend of Feb 1-3rd?

So to all my fellow Texans, and anyone else interested. Anyone is more than welcome to stop in and see what is.going on. The more the merrier!

Is this now no longer going on? I was kinda hoping to try out one of your knives.

Back