Passaround: Jiro Tsuchime White #1 270mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Testing the waters with this one. On the "other" forum this type of thing has been done a few times so I wanted to try it on KKF. I just purchased a 270mm Jiro gyuto and given the recent love/hate about the pricing of these, I was wondering if a group of 10 or so users would want to try it so more real-world feedback could be given about these hyped-up knives.

Also, because of the price and scarcity of this knife, I'd ask for $25 from each user so there's some motivation to not beat the **** out of it. At the end of the passaround, I'd put it up for sale for the retail price minus the passaround funds received. Assuming there are 10 participants at $25 each, that would be about $600 sale price.

EDIT: those that participated in the PA will get first dibs and their PA fee will be deducted from the final cost. If there are multiple parties interested, I'm not sure what I'll do. LOL! :confused:

Below is a link to the knife that was purchased. I'll post photos of the knife tonight or tomorrow.

https://www.toshoknifearts.com/products/eva-1048-fa270?_pos=5&_sid=d3b293ad1&_ss=r

Any feedback is appreciated. PM me if you're interested so I can keep track. TIA!

Photos:

48885421262_ac27f2a60b_k.jpg

48885241441_a78629f94c_k.jpg

48885419317_b4ef1bcf3a_k.jpg

48885418812_625ca6ef34_k.jpg

Last edited:
I would be thrilled to try it too! The plan seems good! Is there any geographic restriction imposed on your part?

(Post deleted. I thought I was interested, but I think that was just the initial high of seeing a passaround. I’m not as into this particular knife, so I’ll let others try instead. Great idea, though. Really looking forward to hearing people’s opinions. It’s a gorgeous specimen.)

Last edited:
Thank you for this great offer. I'll play, even though the company's antics annoy the hell out of me, but I want to have an informed opinion instead of suppositions.

I have a slight problem with the disposition method though. If you sell for $250 under retail to a random person, that is just an invitation for an instant flip. I don't have a problem with flipping in general, but many here do and doing it this way is just an invitation for "bad" behavior. Basically, the passaround participants are sponsoring the potential flip. As long as all participants agree that this is fine, I am OK with it, I just wanted to point this out, so we don't have another thread about how community is going down the toilet. The knife will be used by the end of the passaround, so selling it below retail is warranted.

Great idea!
Just a thought, sell the knife to one of the guys participating to passaround. Maybe that removes the potential flipping.

Eh...I don’t know. At the end of the day seller makes his money back covering retail price. Buyer gets a used knife in a condition that is undetermined at a discount. Seems unlikely to me at the moment you would be able to flip a used pass around knife anywhere close to retail. Maybe it switches hands once or twice after the pass around is over, maybe not.
Any real flippery would likely be due to 270mm scarcity. And you might have to sit on the knife for some time to build up that demand. And the knife might need to be repolished because well that’s what collectors want and that service costs money.
Who knows? Maybe someone make $50 somehow off this.

Either way this pass around would be a huge net positive for the forum.

Either way this pass around would be a huge net positive for the forum.

Absolutely agree.

I think it will be flippable due to something weird about these knives, unless it was badly damaged which I don't expect to happen. Like I said just wanted to bring this up, so it is out there and people can think about it. I personally don't care about flipping, I've seen knives I've sold go for more and I am fine with it, but a lot of people are sensitive to it.

Absolutely agree.

I think it will be flippable due to something weird about these knives, unless it was badly damaged which I don't expect to happen. Like I said just wanted to bring this up, so it is out there and people can think about it. I personally don't care about flipping, I've seen knives I've sold go for more and I am fine with it, but a lot of people are sensitive to it.
Oh yeah I forgot, you’re on team laissez faire!

This is a cool idea and I appreciate a lot you are offering it. The only reason why I am not joining is being located in Europe as that makes the shipping cost explode and adds non negligible issues at customs (I took part in an international passaround in the past).

I must note though that looking at the linked Tosho page the knife looks more civil than what I have seen on Hitohira page.

I was hoping to keep it in the states to keep the transit timely and to (hopefully) limit the risk of damage during shipping. I knew this would be an issue and I forgot to mention it in the original post.

I see. That makes sense. Of course, no biggy Biggy! [emoji1303]
I wish you good luck with the passaround! It’s a great idea and very generous. All best

First post updated with photos...

Also, thanks to everyone that has expressed interest! Below is the list of users that I have so far. If I've missed anyone, or if anyone has changed his or her mind, please let me know.

Gjackson98
Barmoley
tgfencer
lagrangeL2
Ivang
Jon-cal
Ryndunk
Jville
SilverSwarfer

Last edited:
I'd love to get in on this one!

First post updated with photos...

Also, thanks to everyone that has expressed interest! Below is the list of users that I have so far. If I've missed anyone, or if anyone has changed his or her mind, please let me know.

Gjackson98
Barmoley
tgfencer
lagrangeL2
Ivang
Jon-cal
Ryndunk
Jville

Fun! Thanks for doing this Kevin. Very cool of you to do this with such a buzzy knife

Good karma to you ashy! Really great idea!

Maybe to avoid the possible flipping issue brought up when selling at a discount, you could sell it at the full price and use the collected fee towards refinishing it at the end. Or if that wasn't desired, just donate the collected passaround fee to a charity.

Good karma to you ashy! Really great idea!

Maybe to avoid the possible flipping issue brought up when selling at a discount, you could sell it at the full price and use the collected fee towards refinishing it at the end. Or if that wasn't desired, just donate the collected passaround fee to a charity.

Geeze, are we that far gone?? Alot of people get all worked up, when you try to do some practical factors that would help manage flipping, like calling people out. Now it's being suggested to add a couple hundred bucks onto a knife, so it won't be flipped. Part of the benefit of joining the paid passarounds is to possibly get the knife at a discount. It's a very gentleman way imo. Doing what is suggested would crush the spirit of it imho. Im not trying to get attitude with you, but I just think that's way too much. Why don't the people in the passaround agree not to flip it out of the spirit of the passaround, and if they do- call them out. Rather , than inducing hype by overpricing it. It could still be flipped at full price, if the hype is there.

PARTICIPANTS - please PM me your name and address so I can setup the order of users. When I receive your address I'll PM you with my PayPal so funds can be sent to get everything started. I'm also considering sending the knife to get refinished and sharpened before the passaround so I know it has a quality edge for everyone.

RULES FOR THE PASSAROUND
  1. Duration: each participant may keep the knife for up to 7 days.
  2. Acceptable Use: no-brainer here. Use your best judgement to determine if the ingredients you will be cutting can potentially damage the knife. If there's any question, DON'T USE THE KNIFE.
  3. Sharpening: I ask that only participants that are confident in their sharpening skills sharpen the knife. If sharpening is done, it should be limited to a common-sense, low-impact approach (no super-low-grit stones). No modifications of the original grind/profile should be made. (Thanks, @SilverSwarfer !)
  4. Shipping: please make sure the knife is packed as securely as possible and INSURED FOR $850. I'll do my best to include packing materials that make unboxing and re-packing as simple as possible. I'm going to try to use material that is molded for the knife box. If I can't find a way to do that I'll include a padded case to give the knife additional protection.
  5. Damage: if the knife is damaged during use or shipping, please contact me immediately so I can find a solution. I'm hoping this doesn't happen, but you never know.
If anyone has any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks!
Kevin

Back