Passaround: Kippington Chevron Hook Grind

Discussion in 'Passarounds & Loaners' started by Kippington, Feb 4, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 8, 2020 #91

Kippington

Kippington

Kippington

A small green parrot Hobbyist Craftsman

Which city do you live in again?
    Nah I'm not that type lol. If I kept packaging around it would be an even bigger mess around here than it already is.
    Don't bother about insurance, but pay extra for the sign-on-delivery instead. It's more likely that this thing will get stolen from somebody's porch, rather than getting lost or damaged in transit.

M1k3 and Carl Kotte like this.
  2. Feb 8, 2020 #92

Dhoff

Dhoff

Dhoff

What happens to passarounds when they are done being.. passede around?

3. Feb 8, 2020 #93

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

Carl Kotte

It goes to the old graveyard of all old passarounds.

4. Feb 8, 2020 #94

Dhoff

Dhoff

Dhoff

Like the elephants graveyard! I must find this mythical place of knives!

M1k3 and Carl Kotte like this.
  5. Feb 8, 2020 #95

F-Flash

F-Flash

F-Flash

Last person in the list gets to buy it :rolleyes:
    I'm actually on kips list so maybe we'll hit two Flys with one strike :D

Carl Kotte likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2020 #96

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

It’s a 50,000 person pass around. That knife will be destroyed.

Chuckles, Matus, McMan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Feb 8, 2020 #97

Chuckles

Chuckles

Chuckles

Supporting Member

That’s what I was thinking. The chances of this knife surviving this whole journey are not that good. Especially considering its unique grind characteristics. But the whole point is to put it through a lifetime of use rapidly. Like time lapse photography.

Carl Kotte and M1k3 like this.
  8. Feb 9, 2020 #98

Kippington

Kippington

Kippington

I reckon it will be fine, and it shouldn't go through anything more than any other passaround.

This is how I'll pack the knife. If all of you save everything that's in the tube and pack it the same way you receive it, keeping it safe should be a piece of cake.
    [​IMG]
    Other than the knife, there are only two things in there: A cardboard saya and the handle support, both of which are made to fit the tube exactly. The saya + handle length is the same length as the tube, so the knife wont be able to move back or forward. The height of the saya stops the knife from moving side to side within the tube.
    The handle support goes into the tube like this:
    [​IMG]
    It presses the spine of the knife up against the top of the tube, stopping the heel of the knife from being able to punch through the wall of the tube... very important.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just use bits of wire to hold the end caps on. There are holes drilled already, I've drawn some lines to help line the holes on the tube up with the caps.
    I think this is straight forward enough. The whole package weighs in at 400 grams.
    I'll ship it out to the first person tomorrow.

Nikabrik, Benuser, benhendy and 4 others like this.
  9. Feb 9, 2020 #99

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Wow! You really put some thought into it. And thank you very much for the opportunity to use this intriguing knife. I'm excited!

Carl Kotte and Kippington like this.
  10. Feb 9, 2020 #100

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Lookin good!

Kippington likes this.
  11. Feb 9, 2020 #101

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

12. Feb 13, 2020 #102

Geigs

Geigs

Geigs

Knife has landed in Adelaide. Review to come in a day or 2.

13. Feb 18, 2020 at 12:43 AM #103

Geigs

Geigs

Geigs

This was my first Kippington experience. Out of the Tube I was pleasantly surprised by how well the knife was finished. Spine was perfectly smoth and rounded, choil likewise. The blade has a lovely finish with minimal scratching aside from some grind marks in the chevrons. Balance felt great. I didn't take any measurements but it has great balance and a great distal taper. Probably ballpark 3.5mm at the handle running down to a super thin tip. Steel is mildly reactive, it took on some patina over a few days of cutting but nowhere near as reactive as whites. Cant recall what the steel is as I write, but I like it.

Things I chopped with the kinfe: Potato, carrot, zucchini, cabbage, onions, pork fillets, lamb backstraps. The only time I experienced any wedging was with a couuple of large carrots if I was cutting on the thicker part of the blade, but aside from that it falls through produce. horizontal cuts on an onion were a revalation and tell me I need to up my sharpening game, or get some thinner tipped blades. The tip almost falls through onions under its own weight, even on the horizontal cuts. This defies physics and gravity, but is the truth. Food release was excellent. Potatoes especially surprised me as these even stick to my Takeda 270 which is my reference for great food release. A few carrot rounds occasionally worked their way up the blade but overall I'd have to say this knive has some of the best food release I've experienced. Similarly proteins had better than average food release, although on a thick piece of meat the benefit of the hook grind and chevrons is less apparent than on vegetables.

Overall my experience with this knife was very positive. The size and balance were spot on, food release was great, and FnF was above average. I'd like to thank Julian for setting this up and including me, and I'm happy I am on his waitlist.

Kinfe is currently in transit to lucky #2.

14. Feb 18, 2020 at 4:19 AM #104

Kippington

Kippington

Kippington

Thank you for the review!
    I find it interesting what you said about the distal taper. By nature of the grind, I can't fit anywhere near as much distal taper on the hook as I can on other grinds, but apparently this is enough. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted