Passaround: Kippington Chevron Hook Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But you are a lefty... :p
What happened? Did someone say lefty stainless hook grind passaround?
1603702054688.png

Babe just landed today, and was sitting on the kitchen table when I came home tonight. Ever so eager to see this bad boy, I wasted no time opening the well taped box. In hand this is quite the substantial blade. The grind is prominent, and compared to what I’m used to these days, quite large. I think I saw here earlier someone posting that this grind would be grand on a workhorse blade. I’m shocked as this blade already feels workhorse substantial.
After looking at it for a couple minutes, and answering the barrage of questions from my 7 yo daughter regarding the new knife, I decided to cut an apple. Super pumped to try it next to the Kamon, I made quick work of the Apple.

I have been intrigued by this hook concept since Kip first introduced it. Shorty after Benjamin (Kamon Knives) introduced his idea of an S hook grind. I was so taken by these philosophies, the uniqueness and progressive thinking behind these knives. Now to see the hook concept coupled with this chevron theory, it’s quite captivating.

These are obviously 2 different evolutions of the hook grind concept. But it will be quite enjoyable to use them side by side. The chevron reminded me of the scalloped hollows on my old Wüsthof Ikon slicer.

Any how, I’m half asleep now. Just wanted to share that the blade made it safely here. And as Chuckles put it, “proof of life”:

1664654F-502C-461E-AA25-79EE1D3F59DD.jpeg
7612FC23-11BC-4913-A673-ACF407E9FEBE.jpeg
A38A41E4-6374-403C-8DFE-084E1B760EDC.jpeg
E4B1DD36-FDE3-4050-801D-637CCAAD2A60.jpeg

I keep dreaming about this knife and the profile. The hook-grind is the showpiece, but damn the profile and taper was well done. The longer it's been since I used it, the more I think about it. This knife needs to apply for asylum in the PNW once it's done globe trotting.

Last edited:
Just saw the video of a Nakiri on your instagram @Kippington . Which looks to have a pretty fine grit finish, and insane food release on the potato you're cutting. How did you do that...?

(Sorry for minor derailment!)

My last post? That nakiri had a subtle S-grind to help release. Good knife skills help too.

There's nothing special going on with the sharpness. You get those 'fall through food' results if the knife is properly thin behind the edge.

My last post? That nakiri had a subtle S-grind to help release. Good knife skills help too.

There's nothing special going on with the sharpness. You get those 'fall through food' results if the knife is properly thin behind the edge.

Yep that one. Really impressive release for something I would've thought to be a prime candidate for sticking :)

Now, what we all saw coming… This knife might benefit from a light thinning sooner rather than later.
Meant to post this P.S. after I sent the knife out weeks ago. Just getting to it now.
I may have jumped the gun about thinning... I had another look at the knife before packing it up. The bevels are getting a bit tall--but I don't think this is a chubby knife yet...
1605209300789.png

This bad boy is off to @ian now. I meant to get it out on Monday, but I've been dealing with the hitches of a covid possessed sous chef. So my free time became Zero having to cover his shifts. Always a good time.

I will say that this knife might benefit from a quick touch up behind the edge. Performance-wise, I really thought it did very well. I stropped it on a muddy Uchi I recently received which broght it back to life (not that it was dead prior). But that edge had been used well. So it will do well to strop it again, if not touch it up.
I think I read here that this blade didn't do so well with onions? My experience was quite the opposite. The good ol' fancy horizontal swipes were clean and effortless. In the pic below, there are 2 onion halves. One is in shambles, the other is still intact. Ignore the one that's in disarray. The Kippington diced onions very well, and the halves stayed intact due to it's excellent food release, most of the time. When mincing or just small dice, the onion would stick or fall out of place more than 50% of the time. But if doing small(ish) to large, that onion stayed still the majority of time.

Potatoes were a blast, even cold ones that were held in water over night in the walk-in. Total separation, no sticking. Apples were not it's friend. Ease of cutting wasn't there, more wedging than not. This is where I think a hint of thinning might do well. I suspect this knife originally had no problem with honey crisps.

Slaying flank steak into really thin slices for tacos? Super fun and easy. Profile and size, just by looking at the specs and pics, were not for me. The grind was what I was onboard for. But once I actually had the blade in hand, everything clicked. The size, the weight and the lower tip profile all felt good. And right. I could happily use it all day on any task. So I think that's a kudos worth mentioning on its own. When my turn on Kippington's books comes up like 3 or 5 years down the road, I know exactly what I will be ordering.

And now a couple pics, including the seemingly obligatory choil shot.

20201112_180908.jpg
20201112_180846.jpg
20201112_180832.jpg

So the knife has passed through me (not literally) and is now with @ExistentialHero for its last US stop, before heading back to @Kippington for some maintenance.

(F***, I forgot to take the weight and balance for you, @captaincaed. Maybe @ExistentialHero can?)

Thoughts

This is an awesome knife! Like, damn. Before it came my way, I was thinking "Why do I even want to try this knife that's really meant just for professionals doing deep prep? I don't give a **** about food release, this is stupid, and plus it's like over 240mm and I don't like long knives anymore." These thoughts were multiplied when I received the knife and noticed it was ever so slightly thick behind the edge, probably as a result of the passaround.

But then I started to use it.

This thing is so well balanced that I had no problem controlling it, even for precisely cut garlic. Although Kipp mentioned it was too forward balanced for him, it's perfect for me, maybe just slightly at the forward end of a pinch grip? The profile is that wonderful slight continuous curve that I want in all my knives. Even without being murderously thin BTE, it passes through food very well. Food release is quite good. I'd say that it does a better job of maximizing food release without sacrificing separation than any other knife I've tried, maybe with a Catcheside gyuto as a runner up. I posted a brief video `review' that's mostly just me cutting things here:

Thanks again to @Kippington for the chance to try it!

That blade looks amazing - a grand offering and and fine thread to read. Sad I was too late to the party on this one, but good to see such a well travelled knife and good to hear so many reports. Appreciate everyone’s efforts here.

. 👍

I have just learned that the knife is on its way to me. I was very surprised, I forgot completely about this passaround. I mean - it started well more than a year go. BTW - just a warning in advance - I will be away the for a few days next week, so I may take a few days longer to test and send it to the next tester.

It's been a month and unfortunately the knife still hasn't reached Matus. It seems there was a mix up in the shipping and it was send back to the Netherlands unbeknownst to me.
Things have been cleared up now and the knife is on the way back to me, after which I'll send it over (again)
Hopefully this time it goes well, sorry for the delay guys :D

It's been a month and unfortunately the knife still hasn't reached Matus. It seems there was a mix up in the shipping and it was send back to the Netherlands unbeknownst to me.
Things have been cleared up now and the knife is on the way back to me, after which I'll send it over (again)

Your penance is writing a review!

Btw, readers should be aware that (I think?) @minibatataman is the first to have it post @Kippington spa treatment, so all the damage that we (A)US members wreaked on the knife was lovingly massaged away, and now people can give accurate reviews again. We all apologize for sharpening the middle 1/3 of the blade with a Dremel, and beg your forgiveness.

Last edited:
The nightmare-scenario. At least, it hasn't been 'lost'. Please, do take the time to check the insurance conditions.

Back