Passaround proposal of a new french kitchenknife maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hy everyone.
I just finished the knife. It's a 215mm san maï gyoto. It's a soft steel & 135cr3 and oak tree for the handle. I'm gonna give it to Neutri in few days for the begining.
The price of the knife is 345€ so make sure you have this amount if any problem happens...
Please use it and sharpen it kindly when you're done.
I suggest you to keep it for a week or ten days max so the tour can go on.
Excited to have you're feed back!
Good day to you all.
I add rgar4012 and T85 for the us journey.

IMG_20230216_115724.jpgIMG_20230216_115750.jpg

Hy everyone.
I just finished the knife. It's a 215mm san maï gyoto. It's a soft steel & 135cr3 and oak tree for the handle. I'm gonna give it to Neutri in few days for the begining.
The price of the knife is 345€ so make sure you have this amount if any problem happens...
Please use it and sharpen it kindly when you're done.
I suggest you to keep it for a week or ten days max so the tour can go on.
Excited to have you're feed back!
Good day to you all.
I add rgar4012 and T85 for the us journey.

View attachment 225962View attachment 225963
I'm in Rivesaltes 66600 if you have room to add me,
but I can understand if the list is getting too long

Hello everyone.
I just received the knife from Guirec. I'll use it for a week and then send it to @milangravier. I'm not confident enough to sharpen it so I'll let him do his awesome magic! Edited to say that first of all the knife is really pretty!
In the meantime here are some pictures of the knife.
IMG_20230219_165547.jpg

It comes with a little cloth guard.

IMG_20230219_164926.jpg

Here is the choil shot

IMG_20230219_165431.jpg

and the taper

IMG_20230219_165508.jpg

The balance and the profile

IMG_20230219_170939.jpg

IMG_20230219_171101.jpg

The handle is quite heavy but it tapers down and I personally like it. It makes me feel in control more while not being too small in the palm. There are some cracks in the wood.
IMG_20230219_165047.jpg

Guirec told me that while sharpening he bent the tip a bit so he reprofiled the knife a little and the tip is, according to him, a bit thick. I haven't tested it yet.

IMG_20230219_165111.jpg

Last edited:
Also, as I am quite new to this, I won't be able to give a meaningful review (from lack of knowledge and also lack of testing many knives). This is the best part of what I'll write I think. I'll still give a little review after using it but for you more experienced people, you should wait for the people after me :)

Have a good day/night

I think I’ll bow out. I am nowhere near a gyuto kind of guy, and not smart enough about this stuff to give a good review.

Hello everyone,
First I want to thank @Guirec Péron for doing that passaround and giving me the opportunity to try of one his knives. I've used the knife for about a week for a couple meal preps and some cut tests I did to compare it with my knives. I posted that picture in Daily knife pics but just so it's clear I'll also post it here. I used the other knives to compare it as I needed some reference being still quite new to this (left to right; Kip LP, Spare MCX AU, Guirec's knife, Takamura Chromax). For that reason, please also take what I'll say with a block of salt.
217590-IMG-20230226-130708.jpg

At 211g, this knife is the heaviest of the four. Takamura at 156g, Spare 196g and Kip at 202g. You can make your own conclusion about the knife as I'm not sure what it means x)
I don't have any tools to mesure precisely the distal tapers and the thickness at different spots so I'll let someone after me do them if they want to.

The spine and the choil were rounded nicely and made the knife quite comfortable. (The Takamura hurts, don't know how it could have been used in a pro kitchen before I bought it).

- The Tests
The tests were done on several vegetables: carrots, peppers, tomatoes, onions, sweet potatoes and potatoes.

- There were some wedging on bigger sized pieces of carrots and towards the heel. Very small but more pronounced than the Kip or the Spare. It did cut very nicely.

- The knife didn't slide on peppers or tomatoes so I guess it means that the sharpening wasn't too fine and that it has some teeth. I could cut some very fine slices on either of them.

- On the onions, the knife destroyed it. I realized that i prefer a smaller nose (like on the Spare and a bit on the Kip) for the horizontal cuts but it diced it very nicely. Also the steel didn't react too much.

- It also did nicely on the sweet potatoes. It went through it rather easily compared to the Takamura (maybe I should sharpen that one).

- For the potatoes, although it did cut well, there were very little food release. I don't know if it's the grind or something but when I compared it to the other knives, the potatoes stuck on the blade a lot more.

Overall I really like the knife. It cuts really well it's pretty and really comfortable albeit smelling like fish because of the linseed oil for the handle. Id say that it's not really for me somehow. I'm sorry I can only give how it felt while cutting but can't give you any conclusions about what it means for the knife. (If you want to clear things up feel free to do so, like it wedged because the knife is [blank]). Anyway, thanks for reading through that and thanks for this opportunity. I'll send the knife to @milangravier at the beginning of next week (have to figure out how to protect it during transport).

Cheers everyone,
Joel

Hello everyone I just receive the knife from Guirec. I will give my review after I have used it. My feedback will be the one of a knifemaker, not a cook.
First impressions are great. Blade feels sturdy but not to thick. Perfectly straight and no warp, grind is well executed and looks even. Finish on the blade is a satin finish previously etch. I think it is very nice, simple and good to look. Profile is looking a tad too curved for a gyuto. Handle is a little thick at the bottom and could be better fitted to the blade. Edge is scary sharp so I am looking to test it on the board !

Have a nice day

Hello everyone,
I have tested Guirec knife a little more the last past days. I have made some videos while using it, here is the link on Youtube :

About my feedback which is directed to future users but also to Guirec as I think passarounds are great opportunity to have feedback and directions to improve (my passaround was a great way to improve) : Overall the knife feel good and feel like a good all purpose knife. I like the format, I like that it is well made with perfectly straight blade, good grind, thin behind the edge (even it could be a little thinner still), nice finish with a satin but with san mai revealed. Handle is little too thick for my taste, fit of the blade into the handle is not super clean and need to be improved. Choil and spine are rounded but could be more finished.

On the board I think the blade is doing very good, even it could be improved (like all knives maybe) : On oignons it was great, could be more agressive, mean get in the oignons more easily when cutting horizontally and vertically before dicing. That could be a lot of parameters and the alchimy here is not easy to find. Would say maybe thinner at the edge could improve, but also an overall thinner angle of the full blade.
Carrots give the same idea, it is harder vegetable than oignons. No cracking so all good but I could feel the blade was not getting in the food easily, mostly in the horizontal cuts (I don’t know if cooks cut like that but I do!). Other cuts were good. You can feel it cuts, you need a little bit of strengh, but it cuts well, the food release is good without being spectacular I would say. Sometimes the effect is there but food can stick to the blade a little.
Celeriac is also a hard vegetable. The first cut was not incredibly easy but not really surprising as most knives would not cut it smoothly. Still no cracking again so I think it is quite good on that vegetable too !

My final thoughts : I think the blade from Guirec really try to be all good every where and I think it succeed mostly. To be a very versatile a blade can’t be extremly thin or extremly thick, can’t be extremly flat profile or extremly round. It was nice to use in the kitchen and never felt weird. The tip could be less round and more fine so it would give more precision for those tip works (again a question of preference as some Santoku users love to have a stronger tip), but rest of the blade is pretty well balanced. I would advise Guirec to work on the handle and fit. And maybe work with a thinner global angle (maybe 1 degree less would change a lot and would give more ease to cut those hard veggies),
All knives exist and all form of gyuto exist : this is not a laser nor a big workhorse. I think a lot of people will like the format and the versatility.
About the steel : 135Cr3 is the same steel I use, I think Guirec got it very good, it is not fragile, it is very sharp and stay sharp. I did not need to put it on stones at all, I just strop it once and it can cut towel paper cleanly.

Next on the list is @Benuser !

Allright, the knife has landed at my place yesterday, and I started using it right away.

I'm a simple home cook who buys better knives than he needs, so I really only can give a normal user's impression..

I also felt I wanted to compare it to something, so I thought the Spare gyuto was similar in size, so why not.
But it became clear quickly that those are very different indeed. Grind is very different, shape is different, material (monosteel vs sanmai)... so never mind. The question isn't: which one is better? But "how are they different?".

I can say that the Spare has never embarassed the Péron in any way. The latter to me is the more allround knife, while the Spare is a bit more extravagant.

4H2A8481.jpg

- I have big hands, so I liked the handle a lot. Also that it's not too finely polished. If things get hectic and the wood gets moist, it increases friction and is very safe in the hand. Very good. It has the funny side effect to make the blade feel smaller in comparison. I would really like more knives with handles like that.

- The aesthetics are gorgeous. Not as highly polished as many of my other knives. Is that cladding wrought iron? It has so much structure. I'll get back to that later. It has such a nice handcrafted feel to it, and the structure is very appealing.

4H2A8478.jpg

General feel in the hand is very sturdy, almost no flex, which made me expect a thicker blade than that is. But despite the rugged, confidence-inspiring spine, the knife is thin enough behind the edge to make also dense carrots part without wedging. And while food release is medium, drag resistance is super low. Much lower than on the Spare, I assume it is because of the "3D" structure of the cladding. Very good experience working with it.

Geometry is very workable, too. Tip is good in onions, of course it can rock but isn't so round that my preferred method of push-cuts wouldn't work. I also like its long neck which makes the pinch-grip very comfortable.

This resulted in salad, soup and the laziest Disney Ratatouille.

4H2A8485.jpg

Bottomline: I like this knife a lot. It's a great allround performer that doesn't have weak spots in any area. I don't think I have any knife that is so well-rounded. I'd love to have this longer, but am not sure if I can manage another cooking session before my week with it is over.

Thanks @Guirec Péron for allowing me to try this amazing knife, I would certainly love to spend 1 knife april with it :) But worry not, I will be strong and next monday at the latest it will travel to @martinhuber.

Last edited:
Knife arrived! @miggus did a great Job packing it in. So i ripped open the box maybe a little too hard xD
Knife is in good Shape, cant wait to use it!
I will provide a new Cardboard box for it, luckily i got enough of those :D

Guirec PA Review
135cr3 SanMai with soft steel cladding
Rechts.jpg

Specs:
Length:
Edge: 21,6cm
Handle: 12,6cm
Total: 36,1cm
Height: 52mm
Weight: 216g

balance point: in front of maker's mark, 44mm in front of handle

Spine thickness:
out of handle: 3,76mm / middle: 2,12mm / 2cm in front of tip: 1,65mm / 1cm in front: 1,04mm
spine stays thicker for the first 6cm, then starts to taper slowly
tapers most in the last 3cm to the tip
Spine 3.jpg

Thickness blade:
slightly above edge: between 0,2mm to 0,17mm ; at tip around 0,15

(1cm above / 2cm above)
heel: 1,20 / 2,26
in front of heel:
5cm: 1,21 / 2,17
10cm: 1,14 / 1,99
15cm: 1,11 / 1,78
2cm to tip: 0,76 / 1,43

Handle:
Height: 27,9mm to 25,8mm
Width: 26,1mm to 16,8mm
Griffform.jpg

Griffform oben.jpg
The handle is made out of oak with a bit of the front part being burnt. The wood is kept quite natual with the small natural gaps and inclusions not being filled. Therefore it shows the grain of the wood. It has a Rokkaku/ shield form, 4 corner top which aren't sharp but also not round and the bottom is pretty oval with two rounded corners. It tapers towards the front but not consistantly. The wood feels soft and grippy but still smooth.The front corners towards the blade are rounded. It's also rather light. Personally I like that it's not so long. The handle is close to feeling bulky to me but it doesn't reach that point. I'd prefer it slightly thinner but it still feels good. I'm not sure how I feel about it aesthetically. What I would change is the height in the front, or better said the transition from handle to blade, so you have a smaller step down to the spine. The step from top of handle to blade is 4mm, on the bottom it's 2mm. Also would prefer a shorter neck length for pinch gripping it. It is around 2cm, my sweet spot is around 17mm length from handle to choil.
Overall I would regard it as comfortable enough thanks to the feel of the wood.

Fit and finish:
The fit and finish is alright with the knife. The spine is nicely rounded, prety much all the way to the tip, the choil as well. One could argue about filling the gaps of the handle but it's alright for me, it kinda fits the philosophy of the knife. The fitting of the knife could definitely be better as already noted. You havean air bubble on the right side and overall isn't the best job done. Have seen worse on Japanese knives though. The cladding isn't that nice for me. It's rather rough and looks and feels like it was handled with a dremel. Also it made the knife rather reactive. While the patina build-up was quite slow, it took nearly a week for a not brand new knife to stop lightly blackening my onions. The knife has a diagonal finish which isn't too high polished but also not rough. It didn't hinder the knife going through produce.
Griffeinlass links.jpg Logo.jpg

Profile and cutting techniques:
It's got quite a round profile but surprisingly didn't work well rocking. It isn't fluent enough and you hit kind of a dead flatspot -a flatspot which hinders/stops your motion- around 8cm in front of the heel. The heel is slightly pulled upwards which I usually like but even though rather minimal the upwards shifting starts too early, around the dead flatspot. It's not really suited for pull cutting. It works fine chopping but could use some more weight for it at the right times. I quite liked it push cutting and push and glide though which worked well for me there.

Grind:
In the top, the section of the forging finish it is rather flat, with some hils. Below it you have some kind of shoulders which get blended slightly convex into another rather flat grind towards the edge. On the left side it's slightly more convex. Between the forging finish on top and the grinded bottom you have kind of like a hill, a ridge. On the left side you can find a bulge in the transition area around 9-10cm in front of the heel. On the right side you don't have as prominent of a ridge as on the left. It's also flatter in generalbut the convex transition reaches lower.
Choil 3.jpg

Cutting produce:
Carrots:
The knife wedges a bit towards the tip, also you encounter a sticking problem. Around 4-5cm behind the tip you experience this the most, the sticking and wedging. At 10-11cm you have a super wedge point, cracking and splitting the carrots. In the last 5cm the knife cuts rather well and has solid food release. Overall in the back half the food release is drastically better. In the front you don't have super clean cuts. There is also sticktion to be found in the front. So the food sticks to your blade and there will be resistance while gliding and stopping the motion. This isn't happening all the time but especially with bigger carrots. Often times the surface after cutting wasn't smooth and it didn't really manage to cut a carrot in half lengthwise without cracking. Also cutting 7+ carrots at once wasn't a pleasant experience.
Karotten.jpg

Definitely some wedging in parsnip but worked out better than I thought.

Celery root:
I encountered some wedging in celery root but it was manageable. Sticktion was worse though and it resulted in some halts and more force needed. You definitely need some forward motion and need to hit the right point of the knife entering the celery to get a fluent and thoruogh cut. On slightly softer celery root, it went better than expected. You still met some resistance but no stops. I would say it does celery better than carrots.
Mire Poix.jpg

Leek:
With leek you could also slightly feel the sticktion. Especially if you cut more than one at once.

Sweet potato:
I only had a really soft sweet potato, softest and “juiciest“ I ever got which it handled just fine.
Süßkartoffel.jpg

Onions:
I think it does really well in onions. It went easily through onions horizontally, with the belly as well as just the tip section. Vertical cuts were also quite smooth, not as smooth as others I have though. Rough dicing, brunoising, Juliennes were rather easy to handle. With Juliennes it didn't completely just fell through but was an easy task nevertheless. Same with brunoising, easy and fast. Wouldn't go as far as calling it a fun onion slayer like my Spare or Bazes which are rather exceptional in that regard though. Overall a pleasant onion cutting experience.

The difficulty with sticking was very apparent with stuff like courgettes, older eggplants and such. The knife also wasn't the greatest for finer, more precise work but also wasn't a bother. It did its job just fine but also not great. Fine dicing shallots, ginger, garlic was still a manageable task but you had to focus a bit more. The knife kept an alright sharpness over the whole time without any refreshments but was in need of a touchup at the end of my journey with it.
The knife doesn't feel light weight but also not super heavy, I would call it well balanced. It felt solid and tough. A knife you don't have to baby but also doesn't spark enjoyment enough for me. After trying it I can still definitely recommend the maker if you know what he does is what you are looking for or at least keep an eye out.
There need to be some smaller adjustments made but definitely have seen and held worse.

Thanky you @Guirec Péron for providing me a chance to try one of your works

Guirec PA Review
135cr3 SanMai with soft steel cladding
View attachment 236882
Specs:
Length:
Edge: 21,6cm
Handle: 12,6cm
Total: 36,1cm
Height: 52mm
Weight: 216g

balance point: in front of maker's mark, 44mm in front of handle

Spine thickness:
out of handle: 3,76mm / middle: 2,12mm / 2cm in front of tip: 1,65mm / 1cm in front: 1,04mm
spine stays thicker for the first 6cm, then starts to taper slowly
tapers most in the last 3cm to the tip
View attachment 236883

Thickness blade:
slightly above edge: between 0,2mm to 0,17mm ; at tip around 0,15

(1cm above / 2cm above)
heel: 1,20 / 2,26
in front of heel:
5cm: 1,21 / 2,17
10cm: 1,14 / 1,99
15cm: 1,11 / 1,78
2cm to tip: 0,76 / 1,43

Handle:
Height: 27,9mm to 25,8mm
Width: 26,1mm to 16,8mm
View attachment 236884
View attachment 236885
The handle is made out of oak with a bit of the front part being burnt. The wood is kept quite natual with the small natural gaps and inclusions not being filled. Therefore it shows the grain of the wood. It has a Rokkaku/ shield form, 4 corner top which aren't sharp but also not round and the bottom is pretty oval with two rounded corners. It tapers towards the front but not consistantly. The wood feels soft and grippy but still smooth.The front corners towards the blade are rounded. It's also rather light. Personally I like that it's not so long. The handle is close to feeling bulky to me but it doesn't reach that point. I'd prefer it slightly thinner but it still feels good. I'm not sure how I feel about it aesthetically. What I would change is the height in the front, or better said the transition from handle to blade, so you have a smaller step down to the spine. The step from top of handle to blade is 4mm, on the bottom it's 2mm. Also would prefer a shorter neck length for pinch gripping it. It is around 2cm, my sweet spot is around 17mm length from handle to choil.
Overall I would regard it as comfortable enough thanks to the feel of the wood.

Fit and finish:
The fit and finish is alright with the knife. The spine is nicely rounded, prety much all the way to the tip, the choil as well. One could argue about filling the gaps of the handle but it's alright for me, it kinda fits the philosophy of the knife. The fitting of the knife could definitely be better as already noted. You havean air bubble on the right side and overall isn't the best job done. Have seen worse on Japanese knives though. The cladding isn't that nice for me. It's rather rough and looks and feels like it was handled with a dremel. Also it made the knife rather reactive. While the patina build-up was quite slow, it took nearly a week for a not brand new knife to stop lightly blackening my onions. The knife has a diagonal finish which isn't too high polished but also not rough. It didn't hinder the knife going through produce.
View attachment 236886 View attachment 236887

Profile and cutting techniques:
It's got quite a round profile but surprisingly didn't work well rocking. It isn't fluent enough and you hit kind of a dead flatspot -a flatspot which hinders/stops your motion- around 8cm in front of the heel. The heel is slightly pulled upwards which I usually like but even though rather minimal the upwards shifting starts too early, around the dead flatspot. It's not really suited for pull cutting. It works fine chopping but could use some more weight for it at the right times. I quite liked it push cutting and push and glide though which worked well for me there.

Grind:
In the top, the section of the forging finish it is rather flat, with some hils. Below it you have some kind of shoulders which get blended slightly convex into another rather flat grind towards the edge. On the left side it's slightly more convex. Between the forging finish on top and the grinded bottom you have kind of like a hill, a ridge. On the left side you can find a bulge in the transition area around 9-10cm in front of the heel. On the right side you don't have as prominent of a ridge as on the left. It's also flatter in generalbut the convex transition reaches lower.
View attachment 236888

Cutting produce:
Carrots:
The knife wedges a bit towards the tip, also you encounter a sticking problem. Around 4-5cm behind the tip you experience this the most, the sticking and wedging. At 10-11cm you have a super wedge point, cracking and splitting the carrots. In the last 5cm the knife cuts rather well and has solid food release. Overall in the back half the food release is drastically better. In the front you don't have super clean cuts. There is also sticktion to be found in the front. So the food sticks to your blade and there will be resistance while gliding and stopping the motion. This isn't happening all the time but especially with bigger carrots. Often times the surface after cutting wasn't smooth and it didn't really manage to cut a carrot in half lengthwise without cracking. Also cutting 7+ carrots at once wasn't a pleasant experience.
View attachment 236889
Definitely some wedging in parsnip but worked out better than I thought.

Celery root:
I encountered some wedging in celery root but it was manageable. Sticktion was worse though and it resulted in some halts and more force needed. You definitely need some forward motion and need to hit the right point of the knife entering the celery to get a fluent and thoruogh cut. On slightly softer celery root, it went better than expected. You still met some resistance but no stops. I would say it does celery better than carrots.
View attachment 236891
Leek:
With leek you could also slightly feel the sticktion. Especially if you cut more than one at once.

Sweet potato:
I only had a really soft sweet potato, softest and “juiciest“ I ever got which it handled just fine.
View attachment 236892

Onions:
I think it does really well in onions. It went easily through onions horizontally, with the belly as well as just the tip section. Vertical cuts were also quite smooth, not as smooth as others I have though. Rough dicing, brunoising, Juliennes were rather easy to handle. With Juliennes it didn't completely just fell through but was an easy task nevertheless. Same with brunoising, easy and fast. Wouldn't go as far as calling it a fun onion slayer like my Spare or Bazes which are rather exceptional in that regard though. Overall a pleasant onion cutting experience.

The difficulty with sticking was very apparent with stuff like courgettes, older eggplants and such. The knife also wasn't the greatest for finer, more precise work but also wasn't a bother. It did its job just fine but also not great. Fine dicing shallots, ginger, garlic was still a manageable task but you had to focus a bit more. The knife kept an alright sharpness over the whole time without any refreshments but was in need of a touchup at the end of my journey with it.
The knife doesn't feel light weight but also not super heavy, I would call it well balanced. It felt solid and tough. A knife you don't have to baby but also doesn't spark enjoyment enough for me. After trying it I can still definitely recommend the maker if you know what he does is what you are looking for or at least keep an eye out.
There need to be some smaller adjustments made but definitely have seen and held worse.

Thanky you @Guirec Péron for providing me a chance to try one of your works
Excellent, very thorough review!

So the knife is on the way to @IsoJ !
I gave it a new packageing and some extra protection.
Stropped it after use with a 6000grid and on leather to make it good again for the next guys!

Sadly i forgot to take pictures as i used it so my review will be "Short"
Following soon

"Short" but honest Review from Knifemaker perspective and as mediocre Homechef point of view!

As i got it it wasn't terrible sharp, but Miggus told me about it and i didn't mind at all.
First look at it was more positive than i first thought.

Blade:
This knife one got a medium tapered blade, nicely rounded spine and heel and the pattern of the San Mai (as some of you know San Mai is the love of my life) is good looking! (+1 Point on the MH Scale for the steel)
Grind and finish looks good

Handle:
The oak of the handle is nicely patterned, but i think this is the part about the knife i dislike most.
The rokkaku hamaro handle is a little onesided on the belly and one of the facets is a little off, but nothing too bad, have seen worse from other makers
I like the natural feeling of the wood, grippy and texture like you imagine a piece of wood, i disslike high polished handles a lot.
I love the knot and cracks in the handle, personally i would like the cracks to be filled with some kind of epoxy if it would be my personal knife.
As @JayS20 mentioned, the gaps in the handle are clearly visible, i think this is a point where some work could be done better.

Overall feel and sexiness:
It feels good in hand picking it up. i like the kinda rough look and feel of it, its a good balance of roughness and still kinda "clean" finish.
Its alittle tip/Blade heavy, the balance point could be a little more to the back.
Distance of the neck could be smaller, something arround 15mm would fit this baby good.
Handle is bulky, but not bad. feels good in my giant hands.
Size, weight and overall feeling is good.

Cooking stuff:
Due to easter holidays, a shitton of work and many other excuses i was only able to use it for 2 days.
Day 2 was my meal prep day (liveing on a diet sucks) so i got it to good use.
At mealprep day i compared it to another one of french (liveing in UK) finest knifemakers: Simon Mailett's 190mm Gyuto

Bellpeppers and springonions have been no problem for it, the skin of the bellpepper was a little resistant but a strop on a stone and no problem at all.

Zucchini's showed a little of the other side, sure easy to cut but extremely sticky. This is where the Mailett for example did a lot better.
The Mailett has a more polished finish in comparison to the etched profile of the PA Knife.
Proteins (beef n Chicken)
Sure sliced like butter - nothing to be added.

Final words:
For a beginner knifemaker, i really like it.
I own knives that are worse and cost twice the ammount.
My personal advice for you @Guirec Péron , you have done a nice blade, maybe take some more time for the handle too, a little bit more love for detail at it and you are on a great way my friend. Maybe a little more taper for the blade and hight at heel.
Thanks for giveing me a chance to try it, looking forward to what you produce in future!

"Short" but honest Review from Knifemaker perspective and as mediocre Homechef point of view!

As i got it it wasn't terrible sharp, but Miggus told me about it and i didn't mind at all.
First look at it was more positive than i first thought.

Blade:
This knife one got a medium tapered blade, nicely rounded spine and heel and the pattern of the San Mai (as some of you know San Mai is the love of my life) is good looking! (+1 Point on the MH Scale for the steel)
Grind and finish looks good

Handle:
The oak of the handle is nicely patterned, but i think this is the part about the knife i dislike most.
The rokkaku hamaro handle is a little onesided on the belly and one of the facets is a little off, but nothing too bad, have seen worse from other makers
I like the natural feeling of the wood, grippy and texture like you imagine a piece of wood, i disslike high polished handles a lot.
I love the knot and cracks in the handle, personally i would like the cracks to be filled with some kind of epoxy if it would be my personal knife.
As @JayS20 mentioned, the gaps in the handle are clearly visible, i think this is a point where some work could be done better.

Overall feel and sexiness:
It feels good in hand picking it up. i like the kinda rough look and feel of it, its a good balance of roughness and still kinda "clean" finish.
Its alittle tip/Blade heavy, the balance point could be a little more to the back.
Distance of the neck could be smaller, something arround 15mm would fit this baby good.
Handle is bulky, but not bad. feels good in my giant hands.
Size, weight and overall feeling is good.

Cooking stuff:
Due to easter holidays, a shitton of work and many other excuses i was only able to use it for 2 days.
Day 2 was my meal prep day (liveing on a diet sucks) so i got it to good use.
At mealprep day i compared it to another one of french (liveing in UK) finest knifemakers: Simon Mailett's 190mm Gyuto

Bellpeppers and springonions have been no problem for it, the skin of the bellpepper was a little resistant but a strop on a stone and no problem at all.

Zucchini's showed a little of the other side, sure easy to cut but extremely sticky. This is where the Mailett for example did a lot better.
The Mailett has a more polished finish in comparison to the etched profile of the PA Knife.
Proteins (beef n Chicken)
Sure sliced like butter - nothing to be added.

Final words:
For a beginner knifemaker, i really like it.
I own knives that are worse and cost twice the ammount.
My personal advice for you @Guirec Péron , you have done a nice blade, maybe take some more time for the handle too, a little bit more love for detail at it and you are on a great way my friend. Maybe a little more taper for the blade and hight at heel.
Thanks for giveing me a chance to try it, looking forward to what you produce in future!
Someone here on the forums has shown a handle once made of wood with plenty of cracks filled with blue epoxy. Gorgeous!

What diet are you on? Red Bull? :LOL:

Someone here on the forums has shown a handle once made of wood with plenty of cracks filled with blue epoxy. Gorgeous!

What diet are you on? Red Bull? :LOL:
It was @cotedupy who made the handles I was thinking of:

Post in thread 'Show us your sticks (finished handle projects)...'
Show us your sticks (finished handle projects)...

And @JoBone made that too:

@martinhuber , black epoxy could be gorgeous!!!

Hy,
Of course milan, glad to have your feedback too.
then the final list:

Order list:
@Neutri France
@milangravier
@Benuser Netherlands
@JayS20 Germany
@miggus Germany
@martinhuber Austria
@IsoJ Finland
@tri.ngm Finland
@EM-L Sweden

As It was said before, I'm gonna program this tour for EU first. Then, when I'll get the knife back, I'll recend it to USA.

US:
@BillHanna
@SolidSnake03
@McMan
@brimmergj
@KCMande
@deltaplex
@timebard
@Mikeadunne
Dear Friends and Guirec Péron,
With a catalogue and an auction soon coming up.
I have to pass this Passaround because I will not be able to give this knife the attension it requires.

Thank you for the possibilty!

Erik

I received the knife today. It was well packaged and everything looks good. I like the rustic look of it and the handle fits very well in my hand. First use tonight and some thoughts after this week.

The knife is on the way back to @Guirec Péron since two participants after me dropped of from the passaround.

I like to thank to Guirec for the change of getting test his knife.

I really liked the rustic look of the knife. On hand feel with the handle and balance was pretty spot on for me. F&F with the handle could be a little better but to be honest I don't mind those things 😁. It work great with pinchgrip and with two finger "hammergrip" aswell.

I liked the allround type of profile which suited well with me. If I would make a one change, the tip could be a little lower/less belly for the last inch or so.

I used the knife with 6-7 meal prep at home. Overall feeling was very good and I liked the knife which was suprising since I tend to like over 240mm and heavier gyutos in general. Small details where I would tweak the grind for my taste: The front 2/3 has some wedging with carrots and the same time a little more stiction with products like potatoes than expected(I felt that the right hand side had a little more stiction than the left side and it would be nice to hear what a left handed user would like about the knife). The heel section worked better for me and I noticed that I liked to use more rocking/glide with this knife than usual. Front section/tip could be a little thinner but it works as it is with onions etc.

Overall feeling with the knife was a positive one for me. A better side of the 210s than I have tried. A little tweaking here and there and you have a one great allround knife that does it pretty much all.

Latest posts

Back