Passaround -- Togo steel / wrought iron kanna

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Passaround

246g
66mm wide
82mm tall
6mm-9mm thick

Feels like denka steel but a bit harder and glassier and less rubbery. Cuts into hair like denka steel too, or like white, and refines like really hard and fine white. Nagahiro level, or close to it. It's wear resistant but not globby, and the burr comes off easily. The back is flattened. An exceptional steel and HT, probably my favorite overall ever, or at least for an alloyed carbon

West coast start United States

The kanna costed $70, so if the Kanna is lost I'd like the participants to help chip in for it, which isn't all too much.

A chance to try a rare steel and wrought iron. The Kanna is stamped togo steel, and feels like Togo steel. It feels like a Togo reigo Kanna I have, but there's various grades so no way to confirm. There's so much hype around Togo, I wanted to get more user experiences out there.

If you're a newer user, have someone vet for you, otherwise anyone can join. I'd like each participant to show sharpening polish pictures of the bevel or describe how the edge feels for them too. PirateShip is an easy way to print the required USPS label. Just know how to wide bevel sharpen and you should be good. The edge is best when finished very slow with light pressure. Microchipping it is fine, lol, and you can reset the wide bevel too. There are some low spots I haven't hit yet near the left and right sides of the bevel, and microchips from me messing up uradashi a bit, getting to close to the edge.

I don't know how many participants, maybe 10 or so?

Participants

Beginning
@ch_br

Middle
@deltaplex

End

I'll try to finish up bevel work later, too

PXL_20230108_042239995.jpg
PXL_20230108_042247243.jpg
PXL_20230108_042856110.jpg
PXL_20230108_042627865.jpg

PXL_20230108_042323718.jpg
PXL_20230108_042303247.jpg
PXL_20230108_043748026.jpg
PXL_20230108_045213496.jpg
PXL_20230108_044210517.jpg

Last edited:
The requirement is that you don’t mess it up and have and additional stop for uraoshi.

I guess that counts me out 🤣. Have fun guys!!
I think you should be in if you're interested, tbh.
I'd like to be included, but I can certainly be slotted somewhere in the middle since that's where I live, and I'm guessing at least some interest will come from the East Coast. I'm doing a decent amount of kanna and chisel work right now, so I'll only make slightly more work for whomever follows me...

I think you should be in if you're interested, tbh.
I'd like to be included, but I can certainly be slotted somewhere in the middle since that's where I live, and I'm guessing at least some interest will come from the East Coast. I'm doing a decent amount of kanna and chisel work right now, so I'll only make slightly more work for whomever follows me...
I’d be down just to inspect what the previous sharpener had done, and see if I can get even close.

Tool sharpening needs some discipline that I so far lack, hopefully by the time this ships out I’ll be better!

@Pie

Nah dude you're fine, haha. It only matters if I actually put it in a dai, and I don't actually plan to do that, hahahaha. It's such an awesome steel, I know you'd enjoy it. Like, it actually lived up to my lofty expectations, lol

To sharpen the ura, try to stick to the hard steel part, mostly. I hold the Kanna sideways and sharpen on one side of the stone. For the edge, try to make sure it stays pretty flat and not curved. Not the biggest deal as I've corrected those before that have gotten curved, but it's what to try to work toward. Because there's so much soft iron, when wide bevel sharpening it's easy to just follow the iron and lower the angle, which is fine, actually to just feel for the iron. Try to keep track of the left vs right side angle of the wide bevel, as it can skew one way or the other. No need to have to hit low spots either.

The ura is kinda weird so no big issue if it doesn't contact super well. I sharpened it to like 8/10 sharpness it can get sharper with careful slow stone sharpening

@refcast I believe @deltaplex received the package on Feb 10th or 11th.

As I mentioned in DM's, right after it arrived to me, I was bombarded with work projectd and trips.

Therefore, to not hold it up any longer for anyone else, I passed it along.

Last edited:
It's been with me and it's lovely to look at, I also haven't been able to carve out time to play around with it on the stones for reasons very similar to @ch_br. I can easily commit to moving it on to NKW or Pie in the next few days, just let me know.

Hey guy, I can’t in good conscience take this kanna at this time. I’m kinda mired in some projects and child care changes lately and stuff ends up getting forgotten for weeks at a time.

I’m gonna have to pass on this one :(

Back