Passaround WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Edge

Reaction score
Caught up on most of my work, and trying not to make a mess in the shop with a personal project coming up. So, thought I'd start getting some info for a passaround. I'm thinking 2 knives. One stainless knife, most likely a laser, with solid attached handle. The second knife in carbon, thicker, s-ground for a righty, with removable handles. Yes plural as in two, and interchangeable. One will be wa handled, while the other western.

I like to fit my western handles to individual hands, so I'm thinking if I can find 5 individuals with similar sized hands, I can base the passaround interest off of that. Incredibly unfair, I know, but who knows, maybe I'll change my mind since there will be another option available.

example hand measure.jpg

If interested, post a pic of your hand, taken like so, and we can get the party started. I'll post pictures of the work as I go along, but you'll have to realize I'm going to have to split the time making this knife with paid orders, and a bookcase my wife and I are just starting. For clarification, I'm looking for the length knuckle to knuckle, and the width of the index "pointer" finger.

Once I figure out all involved, I'll take requests for materials. Hope you're all having a great Monday ;)

Don’t know if I qualify, but doesn’t hurt to try!

39DB0048-30DD-4816-A030-891B27D2C26F.jpeg

EDIT:

ok, here’s my right hand, haha

837BCCB9-9A7D-4573-90E0-F2788EA77790.jpeg

now you have both, so there’s no way I don’t qualify haha

Last edited:
My phone camera is currently broken so I'll get you a hand photo later, but this deserves a bump :)

At this rate, take your time lol. I expected a few more responses than this, but maybe people are overwhelmed with the pass arounds going on at the moment.

Don’t know if I qualify, but doesn’t hurt to try!

View attachment 88915

Oooh, a lefty! I'm down. H&ll, if I don't get many more replies, I may just make a knife for each of you ;).

Does it have to be using a way cool vintage ruler like yours?

Ha, I bought cheap ruler in college to do some drafting in an engineering class. That was 20+ years ago, so I suppose it's vintage now. I still want to make my own out of metal like that. It would be a beast. Reminds me, I still want a drafting table as well, but that would require room to put it.

Sweet!

I'll let this go a bit longer, and then we can start working on all the exact details! Thanks to everyone so far for taking the time :).

This looks rather interesting

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200804212337487_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200804212337487_COVER.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 14
Would love to get in on this if CanUs is an option!View attachment 89489

I don't have a problem having the knife go to Canada, but custom fees up front will most likely be high. I know there's a way to get reimbursed for the fees if you can prove you sent the item back, but I don't know the whole process. I'd feel better about it if you did more research, so you weren't hit with anything unexpected.

I’m actually a righty, it blanked my mind that I had to take a pic of my right hand haha. I’ll try to take one later tn

That's ok, I just realized that I took a pic of my left hand as well for the example. Guess I feel more comfortable taking the pic with my right hand. Not normally a problem, as both hands are usually pretty similar in size, but there can be differences sometimes.

So, here are my current thoughts. Let me know what you all think, and if I should change anything.

For the laser, I have a thin sheet of AEB-L, and I figure I'll try my hand out at a burnt wa handle to expand my repertoire a bit. This handle will be attached fully, and not meant to come off. What size knife would you like to see the laser in? 210, 225, 240, 270? Also, what kind of profile?

Next, I'll be ordering some steel tomorrow for the western. I'm thinking 26c3. The handles will be western, and after I look back at all the pictures, I'll start giving everyone choices on materials. I'm sure some of you will have hands roughly the same size, so there may be a compromise on what you get. This will be hidden tang construction, with a through tang that's attached via nut at the back end. This will be more of an "S" grind. I'll leave the nut at the butt end of the knife with a notch, so it can be removed to change out handles.

Let me know if I'm missing anything. Otherwise, I'll be here trying to drill precise holes in steel tubing for a bookshelf.

225mm for sure. As for profile, probably something more suited to push cutting?

225 or 240 is great. As for profile, probably something more suited to pull cutting? 🤣

More seriously, everyone likes a KS profile, right? I like the idea of the removable handle, as long as the nut isn't protruding. But I've never had one like that in hand, so who knows...

I was expecting to make multiple handles for the carbon knife, but since everyone's hand measurements are pretty close to each other, I'll just do one handle, and make the nut flush. I just like the idea of being able to replace a handle without destroying the handle that's on it.

I ordered the steel yesterday, and it should get here Friday. I'll draw up a couple profiles sometime before then. I'll go with 225 for the stainless laser with wa handle, and 240 for the carbon with western handle.

I realize now that I could have used a better choice of words for describing things, but at least I'm not making a boner with an protruding nut...

Back