Passaround: Xin Guo M390 240mm KS profile super laser

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The package was just delivered to me at work and is looking great. The box was in good shape, without damage and the knife is looking awesome. There's a few scratches on the blade, but no damage from shipping. I'll be able to get a better look when I get home this evening.

very sorry for dragging on my writeup. glad to hear you received it.

the condition when i received it:
  • a few stray very-light scratches in random spots... like the kind that can happen from wiping with a towel + bad luck
  • a heavier concentration of very-light & light scratches at the blade neck (kinda visible in @blokey's pics)
  • a concentration of light & medium scratches in a few spots at the heel, maybe just on one side of the blade (clearly visible in @blokey's pics)
condition when i sent it:
  • i think the same, but it's possible i added a couple of stray very-light scratches from towel wiping. i did use a clean towel every time and tried not to go nuts.

very sorry for dragging on my writeup. glad to hear you received it.

the condition when i received it:
  • a few stray very-light scratches in random spots... like the kind that can happen from wiping with a towel + bad luck
  • a heavier concentration of very-light & light scratches at the blade neck (kinda visible in @blokey's pics)
  • a concentration of light & medium scratches in a few spots at the heel, maybe just on one side of the blade (clearly visible in @blokey's pics)
condition when i sent it:
  • i think the same, but it's possible i added a couple of stray very-light scratches from towel wiping. i did use a clean towel every time and tried not to go nuts.
No worries. Those scratches are some stupid experiment I did.

Thanks @blokey for this Passaround, but I'm sorry to say, but I need to opt out...

Work has been crazy, my dog is injured and has needed a lot of extra time and attention...

Additionally, I took ARM seriously and didnt use amy triangles for all of March. As a result I have a backlog of triangles to use and play with. Including some other blades that aren't mine

I haven't even cut with my freshly refurbished Tansu yet.

Thanks again for the consideration, but I have too much going on right now...

Thanks @blokey for this Passaround, but I'm sorry to say, but I need to opt out...

Work has been crazy, my dog is injured and has needed a lot of extra time and attention...

Additionally, I took ARM seriously and didnt use amy triangles for all of March. As a result I have a backlog of triangles to use and play with. Including some other blades that aren't mine

I haven't even cut with my freshly refurbished Tansu yet.

Thanks again for the consideration, but I have too much going on right now...
Sorry to hear that, take care, hope he’s doing better now.

PXL_20230321_231821927.jpg

PXL_20230321_231424421.jpg

that's the most lasery knife i've ever used, and it was my first time trying a true laser. i wonder how it compares in laseriness to ashi ginga or other well known lasers.

F&F is pretty good. nice handle and beautiful blade finish. clean overall aesthetics.

low resistance going through food, but it didn't exactly fall through it because it's such a light blade.

thanks a lot for letting me use it, @blokey

Almost forgot to include a write-up. Better late than never I guess.

It was a solid, light weight blade. By far the lightest 240 I've used, at 151 grams. The height was also about 5mm shorter than any gyuto I've used (45mm). It was well balanced and didn't feel fragile for being as light and thin as it is. I was quite surprised with that feeling.

If I had to nitpick the knife, my 2 biggest gripes aren't really that much of an issue. They would be that the initial cutting edge seemed a bit lacking in tooth for those dreaded tomato and pepper skins, easy enough to fix; and the stiction of some product on the blade due to the flat grind.

@blokey , thank you setting this up and allow us to play around with a knife that I otherwise would not have gotten the chance to try, from a maker that I had not heard of before. I was a great knife and I appreciate the opportunity.

The pass around is underway, if you wish to join there’s still time.
I’m in the Mojave a coupla hours north … I’m sorta the new kid here. Mushies and onions are my test articles of choice, along with the occasional boneless mammal.

My toughest test is: how does it compare with my Shibata über tüber cüber when bisecting a big russet lengthwise? Most of my other knives hang up a little, but that Shibata gives me a sensation that would make a pastor frown.

(edit) oh my. I forgot it is 2024. I blush.

Last edited:
I’m in the Mojave a coupla hours north … I’m sorta the new kid here. Mushies and onions are my test articles of choice, along with the occasional boneless mammal.

My toughest test is: how does it compare with my Shibata über tüber cüber when bisecting a big russet lengthwise? Most of my other knives hang up a little, but that Shibata gives me a sensation that would make a pastor frown.

(edit) oh my. I forgot it is 2024. I blush.
I never had a Shibata, still on his waitlist for something, but I had a Kobayashi Kei, another SG2 laser, I like Xinguo more, very smooth and despite the flat looking choil, good release is surprisingly not bad

I never had a Shibata, still on his waitlist for something, but I had a Kobayashi Kei, another SG2 laser, I like Xinguo more, very smooth and despite the flat looking choil, good release is surprisingly not bad
Never had a Kobayashi, but from what I remember they’re pretty close. I have Ogata’s short nakiri. Similar idiom: thin, no bling and all go. That thing is murder on garlic and shroomies.

Back