Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know the status of the pass arounds? PM last week, however, no knives (as of yet) or responses to follow up messages? Hope everything is ok.

Anyone know the status of the pass arounds? PM last week, however, no knives (as of yet) or responses to follow up messages? Hope everything is ok.

I pm'd with Dave monday, and he said he have your adress, so knives should show up I think. Maybe busy times :)

No worries. You american people work too much 😌

At this point, I should probably bow out of the pass around. Please ship the knife/knives to the next person on the list. Thank you Robin for doing this, it is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Al

At this point, I should probably bow out of the pass around. Please ship the knife/knives to the next person on the list. Thank you Robin for doing this, it is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Al

Ok Al sorry to hear.. Dave can you get in touch with deltaplex then instead?

DaveB: Did you just decide to keep the knives? ....
The rules of entry said one week...... it´s been a LOT more than that.
And no pics, no reviews...
What?
Why would any bladesmith want to make a new passaround, when this happens?

I know, I am not on the list, but I´d like to see some reviews.
I am guessing RDalman would too.

I talked with Dave and the knives are probably with chuckles now

Relax Dude...you don't have a dog in this fight and DaveB's reputation is beyoud reproach.
DaveB: Did you just decide to keep the knives? ....
The rules of entry said one week...... it´s been a LOT more than that.
And no pics, no reviews...
What?
Why would any bladesmith want to make a new passaround, when this happens?

I know, I am not on the list, but I´d like to see some reviews.
I am guessing RDalman would too.

Robin, can you tell us if anything substantial has changed since the one you shipped to me the end of 2016 (or was it 2015?...) In that case I'd be very interested to participate.

Robin, can you tell us if anything substantial has changed since the one you shipped to me the end of 2016 (or was it 2015?...) In that case I'd be very interested to participate.

Yes I grind them fairly different now, feedback pointing to improvements :) I'll shoot you a email tomorrow and explain.

Chuckles reached out to me, i should receive the knife this week.

Happy to help out, ill post when i receive them and will have some impressions/review following shortly after

I have received the knives, haven't had a chance to use them yet but will this weekend, have a big day of meal prep on Saturday and family dinner Sunday.

That said, I like the look and fit and finish is solid, the we handle one has a surprising amount of heft compared to the other western/hybrid handle one. Also, crazy thin at the tip, very impressive from that regard.

Robin, I know I have taken part at the beginning, but since you have included the knife with your newer grind I would not mind at all to have a chance to try it out as well :) Maybe as ecchef said, once it comes back to Europe :)

I'd like to express an interest as well, should any EU action re-occur. This passaround started about 36 hours before I started using the timeline function to read the forum and I was disappointed that I missed the opportunity to get on the EU list at the beginning.

Thanks for the interest guys. I am glad and grateful so many of you want to try my knives, paying shipping for such a small time with it. But I don't want to extend this passaround, sorry.

That's been what I have been answering everyone asking, just to be clear.

I left town for a few days right after I received the knife so I didn't use the knife a ton. Because of limited time I only used the most recently made knife. I compared it with a very lightly used Masamoto KS as reference.

The Dalman is a well made knife. I thought the weight distribution was very nice. With the very pronounced hollow in the middle of the blade face I was expecting it to feel lighter. It has a sturdy feel and the flex was about the same as the KS which is not much. The tip is very thin and it did lateral cuts on onions better than the KS. I think the choil shots save me some writing.

Release was very good. I would put it on par with some thicker heavily convex knives I have used an early Mario and Mizuno Honyaki come to mind. The Dalman is thinner than those knives so went through sweet potato easier. The interesting grind had its most noticeable impact when thin slicing red potatoes. I didn't anticipate this but it was the lack of drag on the left face of the knife (I'm a righty) that was much better than the Masamoto. It just didn't stick to the potato at all where there is noticeable drag on less convex knives that are quite flat on the left blade face.

The Dalman is a good fit for someone looking for the release of a more robust knife without the weight. The Masamoto KS is a very thin knife in my line up so I am not a good judge for how the Dalman compares to 'lasers'.

Thanks for including me in the passaround.

I took a couple pictures but evidently I am not allowed to post them in this forum. If a mod sees this and can give me that ability I will post them.

Back