Pasta recipes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love pasta but the girlfriend is lactose senstive (so no cream or cheese beyond pesto) ans doesn't like tomato sauces. I'm bored of olio aglio and pesto, I also a make caramelized onion sauce. Other than those I'm drawing blank, so let's see what y'all can come up with! What's your favourite dairy free, non-tomato based pasta sauces?

Vongole all day!!
Tortellini en brodo is good too but needs grated Parmesan to finish.

I also like to melt some anchovies in EVOO & garlic with chili flake then toss with cooked pasta (and a little of the cooking water) and arugula just until it wilts.

You can also toss broccoli rabe, cauliflower, green beans or other veg with your aglio olio...

Last edited:
You should pick up "sauces" by James Peterson. Try thinking outside the realm of conventionalism of what something can be a "sauce". A tomato is just a plant who's texture when broken down is more liquid than others. Flavoring oils with herbs or spices can also be 'sauced' onto pasta.

"...I also a make caramelized onion sauce." I read this as Mario and it totally makes sense.

You should pick up "sauces" by James Peterson. Try thinking outside the realm of conventionalism of what something can be a "sauce". A tomato is just a plant who's texture when broken down is more liquid than others. Flavoring oils with herbs or spices can also be 'sauced' onto pasta.

"...I also a make caramelized onion sauce." I read this as Mario and it totally makes sense.

I also forgot to mention that I rented the Sauces book from my public library, there was an online version too. And to elaborate why I didn't give any recipes, not just because I'm a dick, but also if your gf is this picky then you are on your own bro, sry. Hope the info helps.

Here are a few that I’ve used recently that might fit your requirements.
- toasted butternut squash with olive oil and balsamic
- brown butter and sage sauce
- bolognese? Traditional Italian one has little to no tomatoes. In the two I make, one has a few canned tomatoes that just melt away after 2-3 hours of cooking, another uses tomato paste... you could definitely do without as the sauce is about the meat
- spring pea sauce

Are we going for no tomatoes or just something other than marinara and other cooked, tomato dominated sauces? Vegetarian?
roasted red pepper, onion and basil
scallions, peas and mint
per rstl87 above brown butter and sage but you can also use ghee to caramelize some onions with fresh sage (lots of it) and garbanzos
al funghi variants
caramelized leeks with a late splash of dry vermouth
radicchio, often as a reduced cream sauce but you can also braise it in olive oil
if you like bitter greens like arugula, broccoli rabe, gai lan, Belgian endive, or radicchio there are tons of possibilities
fennel, can be a crudo (the anise flavor is stronger raw) or cooked, goes well with red onions and balsamic vinegar
how do you feel about anchovies?

I also forgot to mention that I rented the Sauces book from my public library, there was an online version too. And to elaborate why I didn't give any recipes, not just because I'm a dick, but also if your gf is this picky then you are on your own bro, sry. Hope the info helps.
She doesn't care about my headphones/knives/watches expensive habits so it's worth it

There's a huge range of non-tomato and non-dairy alternatives if you go in the Asian direction. Thai satay over noodles is good, or if your GF can handle some heat, something like Dan Dan noodles with chili oil.

My favorite for traditional Italian is cavetteli with rapini and sausage. Blanched rapini for 3-4 minutes then shock and chop in about 1/4” or 1/2” pieces. You need a good amount like 1 cup per person. For the dish saute fresh uncased sausage or make it roughly 5oz per person. Traditionally I was told not to brown the sausage much but do you and I always do when cooking for myself. Add 1 ounce white wine and 1 ounce stock if no stock just use a bit more wine or pasta water mostly you don’t want it super wet. Then add your rapini and salt/pepper to season the unseasoned rapini. Toss with slightly under cooked noodles preferably homemade cavetteli but pasta is up to you I’d suggest something with ridges and not a long noodle. You want to add an ounce or two of olive oil as you toss the pasta with the sausage and rapini cooking/tossing until the sauce sticks to the pasta. There shouldn’t be extra sauce on the plate you want to reduce it far enough it stays in the noodles. It will take a few minutes which is why you undercook the pasta a bit and why fresh cavetteli in particular is a great choice for this dish. Normally I top it with percorino but in this cause you can just eat it maybe finish with a finishing olive oil if you like.

I make a sauce with onions corn zucchini and cherry tomatoes. I think it originally came from an Alice waters cookbook.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/whatih.../alice-waters-this-combination-is-divine/amp/

It’s very adaptable to whatever vegetables you can find. I usually cook the corn before adding the zucchini but google a little and find a version you like.

You could also try to use about one third the amount of tomato sauce or puttanesca on a good quality bronze die pasta and see if she likes it. I can’t stand most restaurant tomato sauce dishes, they just use too much.

I do this minimal tomato approach sometimes with mussels too. A little tomato sauce can dress a lot of pasta

Last edited:
Oy vey!

How could I forget?

Pasta con sarde is one perfect dish. Makes you understand that Sicily is where Italian and Arab cultures collided and came up with something unique.

Oh yeah and there’s also a great sauce, maybe from Naples that’s garlic anchovies and ground walnuts in olive oil.

The two sauces in this post, one uses breadcrumbs the other walnuts instead of grated cheese. Food for thought!

Last edited:
Cook mushrooms & garlic in a very generous glug of olive oil till brown. Add a tiny bit of flour and butter into the skillet till starts to foam and catch then add splash of stock into the skillet and a ladel full of the pasta water and deglaze and reduce. Big squeeze of lemon and serve on pasta topped with capers, chilli flakes and chopped toasted hazelnuts.

Maybe not the pasta you are thinking but Japanese curry goes well with spaghetti. I like house Vermont curry with ground beef.

Cook mushrooms & garlic in a very generous glug of olive oil till brown. Add a tiny bit of flour and butter into the skillet till starts to foam and catch then add splash of stock into the skillet and a ladel full of the pasta water and deglaze and reduce. Big squeeze of lemon and serve on pasta topped with capers, chilli flakes and chopped toasted hazelnuts.

LIKE! Specially if you would use cepes or girolles.

Just a few days I received almost a kilo of fresh stuff of the highest quality. Now waiting in freezer for appropriate moment to use, probably this weekend. If I also source some girolles ;)

I think I'm gonna make this into a series sort of thing :p
Just your favorite ____ recipe. This time it was pasta, maybe something else next time. I got some really good ideas off of here and I'm sure I'm not the only one lol

Theo Randall is a really great source for nice pasta recipes. Hope you get some use out of them.

cook spaghetti in salted water with a bay leaf in there
render guanciale
stir in brunoise shallots & onion, shaved garlic, julienne jarred calabrian peppers, handful fresh grape tomatoes cut in half
let it caramelize (dont stir until it starts to turn almost black around the edges, stir gently then let it sit again and get more color a second time), deglaze with white wine
mix in cooked spaghetti straight from the water and fresh chopped parsley
remove from heat
stir in egg yolk
finish with microplaned pecorino or parmesan (she can have a little, worth it) and fresh ground pepper

pappardelle with shredded braised short rib and red wine mushroom sauce and chili flakes

rigatoni with italian sausage, red onion , zucchini, bell pepper, baby bella mushrooms, fresh oregano, add some chicken stock and white wine let it reduce completely to the point where the pasta will sear, finish with butter and squeeze of lemon

Is she sensitive to aged cheeses like parmesan and gran padano? With less than 1/2g of sugar (lactose), they’re usually considered safe for people who are lactose intolerant to eat.

Hemp milk (esp homemade versions) is a great alternative to creams in sauces, and imparts a nice fresh flavor that goes well with pasta dishes

Parmesan makes her particularly uncomfortable actually, something light like mozarella is a bit better.
I've never tried hemp milk, she's not a fan of most nut milks, idk why I did t think of hemp, thanks!

Back