Recipe Requested Pasta

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamarill0

Reaction score
Fresh pasta recipe using 00 flour.
As well a recipe direction. New to making pasta.
Any advice helps

A good guide for making your first batch below. I used that when I started and didn't regret it. I've since made various other types of pasta and changed a few things around but, for the first lot, following that guide is probably a good idea.

Last edited:
I’ve made pasta countless times now and have a massive stack of books on it. Each one has its differences which makes it difficult to know what is “right” but ultimately it given flour varies by brand, humidity etc., and eggs vary in size, you have to play it by ear a bit. I came across the two sites below recently that I felt covered technique quite well. A few tips that I’m not sure are mentioned but come top of mind if I were to speak to my first time pasta making self:
- Make sure the eggs are at room temp. Makes them easier to work with. Can bring them to temp quickly by putting them in a bowl of hot water.
- Use less flour at first and keep incorporating it. For beginners it is easier to work with dough that is dryer so recommend going on the dry side but don’t overdo it took quickly.
- Make sure you knead it enough (prob can’t overdo it) and let it rest before rolling at least 30 mins if not longer.
- If it is at all sticky while rolling, dust with flour. This is not ideal as it is not as incorporated but it will save you a lot of frustration even if you have to dust between each roller width.

good luck!

https://www.pastasocialclub.com/post/pasta-dough-101https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/wa...g-in/handmade-pasta-guide-simonetta-capotondo

A good guide for making your first batch below. I used that when I started and didn't regret it. I've since made various other types of pasta and changed a few things around but, for the first lot, following that guide is probably a good idea.

Just tried Helen Rennie's recipe and it was really nice, thanks for sharing.

This is how Ive been doing it with good results:
225 g 00 flour
75 g semolina
3 eggs
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp olive oil

Shift flour
Mix all ingredients together
Knead
Let rest at least 30 mins.
Roll and cut as desired.

I like to make the well for the eggs and water/oil in a mixing bowl and mix it in that way and reserve some flour to add it in as needed or for dusting later. If the dough is too wet/dry you can always splash a bit of water on it or add flour.

After the dough is kneaded, the dough should be somewhat sticky like sticky paper and have bounce and come back after pressing a finger on it.
Before cutting I dust the sheets with semolina and let it lay out for a couple minutes as Ive noticted the dough can stick to the cutters. Having an extra hand while rolling/cutting using a machine is also nice.

Once I have all the pasta cut, I'll toss well in semolina flour and let it dry a bit and get cleaned up before cooking. Fresh pasta only takes a couple mins to cook. I like to do a test strand before boiling and I like to work in batches with fresh pasta. I use a spider and the noodles go straight from hot water to hot pan with sauce and toss with some pasta water before plating.

I use the Marcato Atlas which has various attachments you can buy for different shapes.
I really enjoyed Marc Verti's Mastering Pasta. The recipes are pretty straightforward and most ingredients shouldnt be hard to find.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_140122_678.jpg
    IMG_20200628_140122_678.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210119_185232_087.jpg
    IMG_20210119_185232_087.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 11
let it rest before rolling at least 30 mins if not longer.
I know they can't be counted on for everything, but as part of publishing a recipe, seriouseats did a side-by-side test to see how long was best for resting pasta dough, and they exactly agree with you. 15-20 minutes was just OK-ish, 30 minutes was definitely better. They said that once they got past the half-hour point, resting it longer didn't help, but didn't hurt either.

And (the main point) - NOT resting it enough caused a lot of extra work trying to get it to roll out well, and a lower-quality result in the end.

any reason for using 00 flour and not semolina rimaccinato as I was taught (by a Sicilian chef, I am aware that local differences DO exist!)?

I was taught by an Italian chef that 1 egg per portion and around 100g of 00 flour, but it could be more or less flour depending of size of the egg and the moisture in the air (so start with a little less and add if needed). A pinch of salt and a teaspoon or dash of extra virgin olive oil. Kneed it for about 10min, wrap in clingfilm and rest until needed (at least 30 min of rest).

any reason for using 00 flour
I think one reason for this is people have heard it's "the best Italian flour ...", and might forget the part where it said "... for pizza".

I don't think either one is wrong, you can certainly still make pasta.

I was taught up north some are told to make pasta with 00, but real pasta is made from Semolina...
I have eaten 'northerner' pasta , and it's silky smooth, something special yet when you ask me which version I prefer it's the semolina based version. I guess it's a preference thing, I just wondered if that is true for most...

I was taught up north some are told to make pasta with 00, but real pasta is made from Semolina...
I don't know about "real pasta", but I can assure you, "fake pasta" is made with no wheat flour at all. (Rice, corn, maybe polyethylene :))

any reason for using 00 flour and not semolina rimaccinato as I was taught (by a Sicilian chef, I am aware that local differences DO exist!)?

I have eaten 'northerner' pasta , and it's silky smooth, something special yet when you ask me which version I prefer it's the semolina based version. I guess it's a preference thing, I just wondered if that is true for most...

I grew up in an Italian American neighborhood, primarily Sicilian and Southern Italian (Calabrese) decent. This is why my palate preference tends to go for the texture of semolina based pasta.

What's more important to me is the sauce I want to pair with whatever pasta I'm making or putting on the menu. From my experience and what I tend towards with some exceptions....

Fresh 00 egg = meat ragu, brown butter, cream, cheese sauces-Northern influenced
Fresh or dry semolina = tomato, olive oil, seafood, spicy at times, meat and tomato based ragu-Southern influenced

‘00’ is an indication of how clean or pure the flour is. It is often thought to be how finely ground but that is not true. You can find ‘00’ flours in all kinds of wheat varieties and strengths. Rimaccinato basically means ‘re-passed’ but practically speaking means ‘fine ground’. I have found that many people using semolina for pasta outside of Italy use a very course grind which can alter the mouth feel significantly. A 00 durum rimaccinato is indeed what to look for if you can find it. In Italy the characteristics of flours are evaluated differently than in the US so comparing them can be difficult. Caputo is a nice and fairly widely available Italian flour brand but beware that they have a large product line and their most widely distributed flour is for pizza which will have a protein content higher than is ideal for pasta.

‘00’ is an indication of how clean or pure the flour is.
Only if you consider whole-wheat flour dirty or impure. :)

Full-on whole wheat flour is at one end of the chart, 00 is at the opposite end, and the in-between types are ... in between, what else? :)

As far as I know, "Tipo 00" means both very finely ground, and very refined. Basically super-soft, super-fine, and very white flours. And, yes, that kind of flour can be made from different kinds of grains.

God I wished someone came up with an international standardization of flour specs. Every country has it's own damn system, it's a complete nightmare. Trying to buy the right flour for a certain recipe is such a pain, especially when most grocery stores often just sell 'wheat flour' or other very generic names like 'pastry flour'.

Regarding pasta recipes... the good old 1 egg to 100 gr of flour always worked for me as a good starting point. If it's too dry just add a tiny bit of water.

I’ve done extruded pasta with a 50/50 mix of pasta flour and semolina, no eggs. Turned out very well.

it all starts (and ends) with the quality of the flour, I like some egg free variants;
strozzipreti
orechietti

gnocchi, even when most of it is potato ;-)

Like MIchi suggested, play with the mix, add semolina for more bit or go 100% semolina, for me 100% tipo 00 is too silky and I reserve it for Mandili di seta (silk handkerchiefs, late Antonio Carluccio's recipe works great for me but it calls for egg)

Latest posts

Back