Pastry chef with knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumbaa

Reaction score
I know the joke is that pastry chefs have no idea how to use a knife, and are always dull. I started as a hot line cook so I have a clue and I am getting to a point where I am getting close to happy with my kit. So here are some pics of my knives, my kit, and everything I carry on a daily basis. I can also post some pics of my work and me in a competition if anyone wants to see that too.

First pic is my stones. King 250/100,King 1000,6000, Norton 220/1000, Norton 4000/8000. And there is also a flattening stone there.
IMAG0129.jpg

This is the bag I carry everything in it is a school issued Mercer bag. It is not the best but is one of only 2 things I have ever found to carry all my stuff, the other was a tool box.
IMAG0136.jpg

This is everything that is NOT a knife. I have everything from full sheet pan sized silpat to half sheet, chocolate dipping tools, bench scrapers, 3 different thermos. If you have any questions about anything in this pic just ask.
IMAG0140.jpg

And now the knives. From left to right and then the sideways knives on bottom.
Sab K flexible fillet knife, Wusthof Santoku(garbage), Calphalon 5" petty, Chroma type 301 tomato knife, Chroma type 301 bread knife, Forschner serrated knife, ******** Artifex, Miyabi Morimoto 240mm, no name yaga(its ok for fish), Shun nakiri, Shun sheeps foot pairing, Whusthof birds beak, Forschner boning knife. I will be adding a Fujiwara FKM 270mm Suji, and probably some more pastry tools. Like molecular gastronomy tools, along with maybe something to take the place of the crap santoku.

IMAG0141.jpg

Welcome!
Actually I was a moonlighting pastry chef and bread baker for a few years. Then decided to go full bore chef. It was just wearing me out doing all three full time. I got even less sleep then I do now and I only sleep for like 3 to 4 hours a night.lol nice kit.

Thanks, I am still in the process of clearing out some of the knives. Some were gifts, some were impulse, but now that is changing. I am going to get a strop and another ceramic rod to round out my sharpening/honing set up. And then the Suji is being bought and that santoku is getting gone(replace it with something I don't know yet)

Welcome to the Knut House! Good luck on your future acquisitions!

The Chroma are pretty good, they are serrated so they work. The steel is SOFT I mean really soft, the scallops on the bread knife have had to be straightened about 3 times. The steel rolls over quickly it seems. The deal I got on them though they can't be beat. I will post some random pics of some 2 and 3 colored pastas I make and some desserts in the next couple of days.

I know the joke is that pastry chefs have no idea how to use a knife, and are always dull.

View attachment 4743

Not true, Pumbaa! I am acquainted with another instructor who is an avowed Patisserie, and she is quite interesting!! Of course, her knives are junk.....:rofl2:

Welcome to the Forum, and hide your wallet!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I for one would love to see pics of the fruits of your labor.

-AJ

Here are the pics of some 2 and 3 color/flavor pastas I was working on they are beet, plain, and spinach. Also a pic of a high end home made snickers bar it has nougatine,bavarian,and fudge covered in opera glaze. Then some pics of me competing, my plate (simple but clean), and then my medal I got.

Pastas

2 and 3 color mixes
IMAG0135.jpg

sheeted beet and plain
IMAG0130.jpg

plain raviloi
IMAG0132.jpg

multi color fett
IMAG0134.jpg

high end snickers type thing
IMAG0087.jpg

competing
IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

final plate
IMAG0042.jpg

getting my medal
IMAG0046.jpg

my medal and certificate
IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

I have more pics on facebook and such.

I will see if I can find some of the pics on facebook and link them here too.

Some additions
Chroma 240mm suji, ceramic 8" rod, and, and Fujiwara Fkm 270mm suji/yanagi thing

IMAG0152.jpg

nice knives and grats on the awards and the great looking pastry.

its funny that the only person I have sharpened a knife for and have him call it to sharp was my friend Kurt who is a hell of a pastry chef. I thought it was funny as hell, he didn't like it being so sharp because he couldn't cut wax paper straight.

HAHA wax paper is a ***** to cut. I use herb scissors because they are short and I can see exactly what I am doing.

Here ya go some stuff off my chef at school facebook

honey, plain, strawberry cheesecake pops with hot pots au creme dipping sauce
200529_1644763324084_1386902759_1398644_3825895_n.jpg

key lime pana cota with graham tuile and strawberry sauce, some chocolate piping work on the plate
198580_1655745078621_1386902759_1416305_5098256_n.jpg

Hell yeah this is good to see I know how you feel I'm currently a pastry chef who started as a line cook as well. I catch so much **** at work for having a slight addiction to cutlery. Just because I moved from savory to sweet doesn't mean I can't appreciate fine cutlery.

Hell yeah this is good to see I know how you feel I'm currently a pastry chef who started as a line cook as well. I catch so much **** at work for having a slight addiction to cutlery. Just because I moved from savory to sweet doesn't mean I can't appreciate fine cutlery.

Where you at? They give me a ton of **** at work.

Im thinking about going to Vegas and giving it a shot

It is all union. Bkelly I may hit you up I just got an offer to be a pastry chef at a new place here. I have never done exec pastry work just pastry shop work so I may ask some questions. I don't want to be that pastry chef that half asses everything.

It is all union. Bkelly I may hit you up I just got an offer to be a pastry chef at a new place here. I have never done exec pastry work just pastry shop work so I may ask some questions. I don't want to be that pastry chef that half asses everything.
Yeah man I'm always down to talk.

Hey Bkelly,

Went to William and Mary and loved the Blue Talon. You guys put out some excellent food. How long have you been there?
That's good to hear I've been there now for well actually a year next month. This is honestly one of the best restaurants I've been apart of so involved with the community. In you time at w&m did you ever get a chance to come though for the free snowing hot chocolate?

Nah, I missed the "blizzard years" and the snowing hot chocolate (graduated in 2007). I ate dinner there as often as I could, though, and also went for coffee and croissants before big days (thesis defense, graduation, etc).

Nah, I missed the "blizzard years" and the snowing hot chocolate (graduated in 2007). I ate dinner there as often as I could, though, and also went for coffee and croissants before big days (thesis defense, graduation, etc).

That's awesome I'm happy to hear you enjoyed. Students are a huge part of our business we are now doing alot to support them through Thursday students specials wine classes as well as tasting of our menu through parties NAND what not.

Back