PawPaw fruit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmnms

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on what to do with this. I was just gifted some, but there's plenty more to come. I've only made ice cream with it in the past.
0E651842-64A3-4852-B264-B4D6E7EC6F38.jpeg

Some more ideas:

Cut into cubes and add it to a fruit salad.

Also useful to pimp cheaper cuts of meat. The enzymes in pawpaw make for a very effective tenderiser. Mash it into a paste and marinate the meat in it for an hour or two. Then rinse off and go ahead with meat recipe as you normally would (add spices, or marinate, or whatever). It works best with under-ripe pawpaw, but still works with ripe ones.

Pawpaw makes for a nice salsa. Use whatever recipe for mango salsa that appeals to you and substitute pawpaw for the mango.

Pawpaw juice is nice, too. Extract the juice, chill it, and spruce it up with a bit of lemon juice and honey (if not sweet enough).

Some more ideas:

Cut into cubes and add it to a fruit salad.

Also useful to pimp cheaper cuts of meat. The enzymes in pawpaw make for a very effective tenderiser. Mash it into a paste and marinate the meat in it for an hour or two. Then rinse off and go ahead with meat recipe as you normally would (add spices, or marinate, or whatever). It works best with under-ripe pawpaw, but still works with ripe ones.

Pawpaw makes for a nice salsa. Use whatever recipe for mango salsa that appeals to you and substitute pawpaw for the mango.

Pawpaw juice is nice, too. Extract the juice, chill it, and spruce it up with a bit of lemon juice and honey (if not sweet enough).
I believe we're talking about two different fruits here, the OP is talking about a native to the US fruit that's not really that easy to find here, save for people that live near where it grows (since it has a short season, doesn't keep long, and doesn't travel well):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimina_triloba
in Australia I believe paw paw refers to what's known in the US as papaya:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaya

I believe we're talking about two different fruits here, the OP is talking about a native to the US fruit that's not really that easy to find here, save for people that live near where it grows (since it has a short season, doesn't keep long, and doesn't travel well):
Doh! I had no idea that this is yet another case where Americans and Australians use the same word for different ingredients. Thanks for pointing this out!

Same problem with ”shallot”. In Australia, that means what Americans know as scallions whereas, in the US, it means the small golden/reddish mild onions (Allium cepa), which are called ”French shallots” in Australia.

Doh! I had no idea that this is yet another case where Americans and Australians use the same word for different ingredients. Thanks for pointing this out!

Same problem with ”shallot”. In Australia, that means what Americans know as scallions whereas, in the US, it means the small golden/reddish mild onions (Allium cepa), which are called ”French shallots” in Australia.
Green onion takes away the confusion. But scallion on a menu means an extra $1 or $2 in price 😎

Back