Pay It Forward Knife Kit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
I'm thinking about donating my older/unused knives. I think someone out there could use these more than me, and I was hoping some other members could help. Maybe you know or work with someone who needs decent knives. Maybe somebody's kit was stolen. Maybe someone just can't afford it right now.
I will pay shipping to first recipient in ConUS. Whoever sharpens them should ship to user/s.
I'm not looking to get anything out of this besides good karma. I do not need or want these knives sent back to me. I just want them to be used by someone who needs them and will take care of them.
Post or PM me if you are interested. I'm very new to this forum so I can use all the help/advice anyone is willing to offer.

img3775pd.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img3783b.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
There is a Boker ceramic, Shun angled paring, Henckel serrated, Shun 8inch Chef, Shun (says Nakiri but really is an usuba)and a Forschner slicer(with really messed-up tip) Also a knife bag with tons of slots and pockets.

Thanks,
Knerd

Excellent idea! One man's trash is another man's treasure! Very generous of you.

You trying to give away each piece by piece, or as a kit to a cook with bad tools?

I'd be up for putting fresh edges on em, well..... except the Boker, before they get to their new owner if that helps any, especially since I think I'm up next for the Sigma II passaround.

PZ

I'd be up for putting fresh edges on em, well..... except the Boker, before they get to their new owner if that helps any, especially since I think I'm up next for the Sigma II passaround.

PZ
Awesome, thanks PabloZ. Also the edge on the Boker is fine. I had it worked on recently. That one's probably not great for a commercial kitchen anyway.

I could hand these out to a few guys in the class under me (And perhaps one to a guy in my class)
Perhaps that will open their eyes to good knives - perhaps not. So i'll stand at the side-line as other people here might have better subjects to give a knife to. Like someone who's already sweating in a kitchen with tools not worth using.

Very generous way to give back btw. I've thought about giving away my Kagayaki Aogami Super santoku. Or selling it really cheap. Doesn't really use it anymore, find it too reactive for onions.

Edit: Or perhaps you should go to a culinary school (perhaps even the one you went to) and hand them out (like a lottery)!

Awesome idea, Knerd! This is my feel-good thread for at least today. I especially like Son's suggestion that it may help someone who is cooking to help others in need. :thumbsup:

Killer Idea, Make someones Day. I know a few cooks at the Hotel in desperate need of a kit like this. Awsome cooks, ****** knives.

Son's suggestion, also awsome.

...or maybe somebody working at a shelter or soup kitchen.

This sounds like the best idea to me (unless that person is a well off volunteer just doing a good deed). Otherwise a young up and comer either in school or just out that would like a nice kit but can't afford it (and would appreciate this one).

Awesome guys, I've got a Chroma 270mm gyuto I'm going to throw in as well. It'll take a good edge, but doesn't last too long. As far as the soup kitchen idea goes-let me look around in storage. I think we have some older unused knives that I could rehab to go to someplace. Most of the soup kitchens and shelters here are run out of churches, so they already have their own tools. I'll let you know what I can come up with,if you can help me find a place to donate them to.
PabloZ, PM me your address and I'll try to get this kit to you ASAP. Hopefully by the end of this week/middle of next.

I think this is a really cool idea and hope it goes well... but not to be a spoil sport, either keep your head in the sand about the recipient or do some homework. I did a somewhat similar thing a while back and got burned.

I think this is a really cool idea and hope it goes well... but not to be a spoil sport, either keep your head in the sand about the recipient or do some homework. I did a somewhat similar thing a while back and got burned.

Hey! I love my spoon, man! I use it all the time. Best spoon I own. Makes me think of you.

I think the problem you have here is that most people here have already been there, as far as the knives are concerned. Any new members that are at that spot are leery of getting something new. I bought 2 knives from son that sat in the forums for over a mo., just for this purpose.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/4651-Miyabi-5000s-for-sale

Looking who to give them to is a pretty hard thing to do. And most non pro's in the kitchen, know very few people that are in this position. I applaud this and am still looking for the next person I will give a knife to. :chin:

Thanks everyone,
I'm pretty sure I got the kit spoken for. A founding senior member with tons of posts and over a year's membership seems trustworthy enough to me. I hope he will let us know how it goes. Maybe some updates on the knife rehab, etc.

We're getting into hiring season, and many of the people are coming in from culinary school. We are likely hiring another 30 cooks. I personally can't afford to purchase anything to expose our Greener colleges to aside from my own kit. (Which is drastically improving over time). I can pay shipping should someone have a few blades kickin around that may put a smile on someones face. Would love to be able to pass something onto our new pro's!

We're getting into hiring season, and many of the people are coming in from culinary school. We are likely hiring another 30 cooks. I personally can't afford to purchase anything to expose our Greener colleges to aside from my own kit. (Which is drastically improving over time). I can pay shipping should someone have a few blades kickin around that may put a smile on someones face. Would love to be able to pass something onto our new pro's!

Sorry Voodoo, already promised to someone else. I'll tell you what though, I'm probably going to move on to passing some more knives too. I've been trying to replace most of my kit with new knives or buying types/styles I've never owned before. I can't justify keeping an extra knife I will probably not use often. Why not pass it on? Just to say I have it?
So I'm passing out Shuns, maybe my Tojiro's next. When I replace, I'll pass on. They aren't super-expensive gems, but they're a lot better than the garbage that a lot of kids-even old schoolers have ever used. Maybe turn someone on to why we are so addicted to knives that are actually sharp.
This is contingent on when I get something/s new, but I'll PM you when I do.

thx, knerd

If you are looking to give some away, if they are an upgrade for me I would love to swap them and then give them to a couple of people I work with or go to school with. Most of them are broke students with school issued crappy knives. Plus it would be local.

Sorry Voodoo, already promised to someone else. I'll tell you what though, I'm probably going to move on to passing some more knives too. I've been trying to replace most of my kit with new knives or buying types/styles I've never owned before. I can't justify keeping an extra knife I will probably not use often. Why not pass it on? Just to say I have it?
So I'm passing out Shuns, maybe my Tojiro's next. When I replace, I'll pass on. They aren't super-expensive gems, but they're a lot better than the garbage that a lot of kids-even old schoolers have ever used. Maybe turn someone on to why we are so addicted to knives that are actually sharp.
This is contingent on when I get something/s new, but I'll PM you when I do.

thx, knerd

Thank you, I hope it opens someones eyes to what we are into. I was more or less saying that if people notice something not being used and collecting dust that I have a million happy homes among fellow young cooks. I plan to do the same as well as I replace more of my kit. I notice that many people work with very blunt knives. I want to show some of them that working with well maintained edges can make alot of difference. Their care and respect for the blade are as important as the quality. I'll be working in large hotels for the next 10 years, and want to help as many cooks that have and will help me.

I think this is a very generous idea. Wish when I was new I could have played with stuff like this. Now I dont need it, but still love the idea.

WHASSUPPP!!!!! Where's my big WIP @ ? Need some feedback. Hope my old kit isn't just sitting around collecting dust. Hope somebody, anybody is chopping up something with it right now!!!

WHASSUPPP!!!!! Where's my big WIP @ ? Need some feedback. Hope my old kit isn't just sitting around collecting dust. Hope somebody, anybody is chopping up something with it right now!!!

Haha, the new owner knows I have them and he is using the slicer and bread knife. The shuns are getting new edges and the handles buffed, oil and waxed. The chroma is getting some new shoes and I should be done with everything by the end of the month. No dust collecting here, but not moving as fast as I would like.

Haha, the new owner knows I have them and he is using the slicer and bread knife. The shuns are getting new edges and the handles buffed, oil and waxed. The chroma is getting some new shoes and I should be done with everything by the end of the month. No dust collecting here, but not moving as fast as I would like.
Awesome !!! Thanks Kalaeb. Can't wait to see the new shoes on the chroma.
I understand how much life can get in the way sometimes........just trying to keep the thread alive. As soon as some more good karma floats my way I can replace some more of my blades and continue the knife donation/s.

Just a little update on this kit. Been working on the Chroma and getting it ready, it is my goal to get it done before the end of the month, I should be able to make it. The Shuns are waiting to be delivered as I wanted to include this one with it.

Not a full WIP, but here is a rough...very rough pic of the Chromas shoes. Should be able to shape tomorrow night, hand sand to a 2k grit on Sunday and oil on Monday.

payitforward.jpg

Great news, thanks Kalaeb. I'm on week #3 without a day off, the shortest day of which was 14 hours, so this totally makes my day. That Chroma is gonna look sweet!

One more quick update before I go to bed, got it rough sanded and starting on the wet/dry sand paper, couple more hours and it should be ready to go. Sorry for the bad cell phone pic at night.

IMG_1783.jpg

@Johnny-the kit is going to a aspiring chef/student friend of mine.

Back