Pay It Forward, Parisian source....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I have a colleague who lives in Paris, we were recently talking about my obsession and I mentioned Sabatier knives as being an example of performance French knives. He said that there are piles of "old, rusty" knives all over paris for sale very cheap. I'm guessing a lot of these are vintage sabatiers, or clones.

If we could give him a guide on what to buy, he would be willing to box them up and ship them over for us to refurb. Maybe sell some to cover our costs, and use the rest for the PIF?

Dave/Mods,

I think this might be skirting the lines around commercial activity, please let me know if it's not OK and what I need to do to make it ok.

I'd definitely be up for some kind of venture for old Sabatiers or other French brands known to be good quality....chefs, slicers, parers, or whatever. Not with the idea of making money selling refurbished knives, but ending up with a few for cheap.

I'd love to get hold of some vintage sabs to refurb

<shrug> no idea where he is in Paris.

Any particular markings/profiles/sizes/etc. he should look for? Are there makers other than Sabatier worth grabbing?

in paris cutleries you'll only find SS knives due to laws.

but there is a lot of em in every kitchen here and there. people hide em from restaurants controllers i guess

Since I'm so partial to mine, I would volunteer to put in some time refurbishing for the PIF on these. I'd be interested just to see what he can find.

Awesome Slypig5000! Will definitely take you up on that. Is KnyfeKnerd lurking around here somewhere? :angel2:

Gentlemen,

I have a colleague who lives in Paris, we were recently talking about my obsession and I mentioned Sabatier knives as being an example of performance French knives. He said that there are piles of "old, rusty" knives all over paris for sale very cheap. I'm guessing a lot of these are vintage sabatiers, or clones.

If we could give him a guide on what to buy, he would be willing to box them up and ship them over for us to refurb. Maybe sell some to cover our costs, and use the rest for the PIF?

Dave/Mods,

I think this might be skirting the lines around commercial activity, please let me know if it's not OK and what I need to do to make it ok.

Ooops...I owe the ladies an apology. That should have been: Gentlepersons.

In couple of weeks I will be going to Paris to visit my familly and i can adventure for knives hunting. Meanwhile I can ask a friend to go to the Marché aux puces and check some old Sab knives. if it helps of course.

I'll be in Paris in December, if there are any good sources open outside of office hours it'd be great to be able to pick something up

im in uk and would be interested in some vintage french carbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back