Pepper Mill Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it does. You get plenty of pepper very quickly. The one downside is that the grinder requires a fair bit of force to turn because of how much it produces all at once.

Yes that's the reason more resistance when cranking the mill large diameter gears loading greater amount of pepper at once. I knew wasn't going to escape this thread shipping to Hawaii USPS box rate was cheap. The indentation on bottom of part of cylinder gives grip to crank away at your heart's content.
This is only one half rotation so just little motion produces lots of pepper.
IMG_20220202_173605846.jpg

here is my mini review after few days of using (hence my sell of other pepper/salt grinders, haha)

1. the wooden base/caddy, kinda sucks.. I wish it was 2x thicker and hole was about 1/2" deeper. The handle is also flimsy. It's probably ok as stationary, but I would not use it to travel...

2. Pepper and salt grinder overall is very good. They produce alot of salt. Maybe 2x of unicorn magnum if not a bit more. They are a abit hard to turn, but the feedback is more like a well build metal machine, vs a plastic mill with metal gears...

3. Whole to fill pepper is very good. Magnetic Lid i think is good, but when I initially filled pepper a bit high, I had trouble closing.

If I was going to improve it, I'd probably want it about 1.5" taller and maybe 1/2" wider, so it would take 2oz more of each and feel even better in hand... but it's a small thing since refill is so easy.

Is it worth it? To each his/her own... I used to own $500+ knives, owned a $700+ copper pot and many $200+ pots and still do... I buy old cars cause I dont care about them, but I buy nice / expensive cookware.

This tool will likely outlive me, or when I won't be able to turn it...Or until something better comes along, which is when I will sell it!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 19
great info, thanks guys!

Ordered!
Just saw that shipping Taipeh to Netherlands with DHL is $34, now that is a lot better....now siting out another wait, Chinese New Year has me waiting until Feb 7th before it even ships.

I like the magnetic top it's a nice touch. The mill is rather heavy all that steel. Then again my old 1989 Maytag washing machine is a lot heavier than modern ones & will last at least 10X longer than the cheap crap they build these days😁

Re the SPM, the volume of pepper Is big for a very small turn. No concern there. Only issue remains that it is very hard to crank but again, you get a lot for a small turn. Raised this issue with Craig and after various emails and pics exchanged, the mill is set up properly. When I empty it, I’m going to try smaller pepper corns.

Re shipping, Craig’s site says USPS but he shipped mine UPS and I had it in 4 days from Miami to Toronto area. Cost was $45usd I think. However, I got hit with $60cdn admin fees and sals tax from UPS. Overall, this thing ended up costing me about $425cdn which is ridiculous. USPS/Canada Post would very likely have saved me the $60 but not for sure and there was always the chance I wouldn’t have it yet if ever.

With hindsight, I probably would look for a much cheaper alternative. I would have bought the Magnum plus but none available until mid 2022.

Craig Lyn's site seems to be undergoing maintenance/improvement at the moment. I was trying to check what shipping to Australia would be. Maybe I don't want to know.

Re the SPM, the volume of pepper Is big for a very small turn. No concern there. Only issue remains that it is very hard to crank but again, you get a lot for a small turn. Raised this issue with Craig and after various emails and pics exchanged, the mill is set up properly. When I empty it, I’m going to try smaller pepper corns.

mine is also hard to turn, but when it does, it makes this very cool sound that no other pepper grinder does. i think it's because of the build tolerances... they are much better than in any other grinders...

yesss.....the Weber will be delivered next Monday, DHL Taiwan to Netherlands in like 4 days including import duty/VAT handling already taken care of...eat this USPS (they were more expensive and lost the package).

D016FF9B-3453-4923-A9A7-5073BF23EBDD.jpeg
I’ve had a perfex grinder for years (35) and only when I needed a lot of pepper for a crowd ( salt and pepper chicken for 30 ) did I notice a problem. Never thought about changing anything. It was my son who saw a video with Clare from Bon Appetit who reacted astonished at the volume produced when she used a unicorn, he bought one for himself, then he bought one for me. I have no need for another grinder…
C87A2E6C-DBC9-46C8-AE90-DED66A1A9AAF.jpeg
.Except I, like probably many others here are in search of excellence. Not a need but a want for something well built, that feels good in the hand and will last more than a week or two.
24A0E86D-7578-4CB6-85F8-9B51957F6E8D.jpeg
Why did I click on this thread?

Hurray, my quest for a better pepper mill has ended...the Weber has landed (exactly te same as pictured above)

Straight out of the box and loaded with the current fave 'bucay pepper', grind setting off factory at 0 and with 2 turns enough pepper for a sizeable steak or whatnot

I'm happy :)

Last edited:
I use that electric pepper mill too, it is wonderful. Can nicely dial in the grind and pops out a reasonable amount of pepper.

I been using mine salt and pepper grinder for 3-4 month now too. Salt works much nicer, easier to grinder, larger output. Pepper works well too, just need a stronger grip to grind it.. but not sure if anything can be done. But, the grind for both is very consistent, which I like. It is expensive, FK yes, but so are the $1000+ knives and I would use them much less, worry more, grind away the $ and their performance over a sharp $100 knife, in most situations (in my hands) is inside 10%

Happy with mine after 3 to 4 months of daily use. Need effort to grind with it but the grind is excellent. Worth the money? Pay for it by skipping one or 2 dinners out so in the scheme of things, given it’s good for a lifetime and used every day, yes.

Craig Lyn been using a lot. Just slipped it in. Janice can't crank it have a Peugeot that she uses. Do almost all the cooking anyway didn't tell her how much paid for Net Zero coffee grinder or the Lyn pepper. I would use hand coffee grinder for years. Now she will use the Zero with large low rpm burrs & good electric power source. She doesn't have to know how much it cost, only that we can make Expresso & pour over with ease.

At 250 bucks you start wondering if that 'pepper grinder' grinds more than just peppers... :|

The Iron Mill I bought is absolutely brilliant.

i would have liked to try it.. my issue is 2 fold (without trying). adding peppercorns seems painful. and 2nd issue from it, it's tad small. i would have preferred it to be 2x taller... and take 6oz at a time. but i def prefer handling grinder vs twist grinder...

Back