Pepper Mill Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Unicorn Magnum great business story.

You fill the grinder by rotating a collar, problem being the grinder rotates the same way. So if you have bigger hands or your hand slips down to the fill collar said collar will open and if topped off pepper corns spill out. Years later i.e., now, I sent Unicorn an email suggesting they change the opening direction of the fill collar. Same day response below:

"Thank you for buying our Magnum grinders. I'm not sure how old your grinders are, but years ago we made adjustments to the loading ring and it's virtually impossible for the loading ring to open without real effort. The loading ring won't open under regular use. If you would like to send your mills to us, we can make the change to your grinders so there won't be an issue going forward."

No charge, I just pay one way shipping.

wow, that's pretty great customer service. I don't think we could live without ours for the week or so it would take to send it in and get it modified.

Another Unicorn Magnum great business story.

You fill the grinder by rotating a collar, problem being the grinder rotates the same way. So if you have bigger hands or your hand slips down to the fill collar said collar will open and if topped off pepper corns spill out. Years later i.e., now, I sent Unicorn an email suggesting they change the opening direction of the fill collar. Same day response below:

"Thank you for buying our Magnum grinders. I'm not sure how old your grinders are, but years ago we made adjustments to the loading ring and it's virtually impossible for the loading ring to open without real effort. The loading ring won't open under regular use. If you would like to send your mills to us, we can make the change to your grinders so there won't be an issue going forward."

No charge, I just pay one way shipping.

I’m just happy the company was dedicated in getting you an updated grinder again. After all, fresh ground black pepper is integral to sausage gravy.

Yea, I told them it would be after the New Year. I debated sending them in one at a time, but packaging stuff up and going to the USPS is not something I enjoy, so the two of them will be travelling together:).

What kind of extreme quantities of pepper are you putting on your food that you need a motorized solution? 😐

I love my Peugeot. It’s the classic mill.
I gave two Peugeots as Christmas presents. I have a Cole & Mason that’s probably 10 years old and still works like new. I’d like to have a Peugeot though, because I like their story and aesthetic.

I had no idea that the Unicorn had such a loyal fan base. I can just imagine trying to refill it through that little hole in the side while chasing it around the kitchen. Plus it’s black plastic, ugh.

I got a pair of these for Christmas.

1672189687969.png

https://www.sharperimage.com/view/p...AfTY4PQhEyzMDnOAciYQdmP0xKwHxt5BoCVdsQAvD_BwE
I'm partial to my Peugeots for seasoning, but the battery-drive will be a nice alternative to a coffee/spice grinder for brisket, et al.

I need to find some salt and pepper corns (in addition to 12 rechargeable AAA batteries :eek:)

@MarcelNL @Michi and others: I'm looking for suggestions for pepper corns and salt to try with them.

Last edited:
I got a pair of these for Christmas. In addition to 12 rechargeable AAA batteries :eek:

View attachment 216359

https://www.sharperimage.com/view/p...AfTY4PQhEyzMDnOAciYQdmP0xKwHxt5BoCVdsQAvD_BwE
I'm partial to my Peugeots for seasoning, but the battery-drive will be a nice alternative to a coffee/spice grinder for brisket, et al.

@MarcelNL @Michi and others: I'm looking for suggestions for pepper corns and salt to try with them.
Well you’ll have some really nice local options there in the Bay Area. But I use Spice House out of Evanston(Chicago)IL. Everything I get is always really fresh and potent. Cambodian Kampot pepper is outstanding and their black tellicherry is really sharp and spicy. I also have red and white from them.The red is also Kampot. Salt I don’t know about. I’m a simple David’s kosher and Maldon user🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:
Well you’ll have some really nice local options there in the Bay Area. But I use Spice House out of Evanston(Chicago)IL. Everything I get is always really fresh and potent. Cambodian Kampot pepper is outstanding and their black tellicherry is really sharp and spicy. I also have red and white from them.The red is also Kampot. Salt I don’t know about. I’m a simple David’s kosher and Maldon user🤷‍♂️.
@Borealhiker thanks. I always forget about the peppercorn rabbit hole until I need some, then I pick up what I can find at the supermarket. I’ll check out Spice House Kampot. What’s the shelf life?

I’ve been using pink salt in my Peugeot, and that seems ok.

I second the Kampot pepper suggestion. That is a really nice pepper, with loads of aroma. I haven't tried Tellicherry yet, but it's on my list.

I also like Wayanad and Bucay pepper a lot, Kampot and Tellicherry are great too!
What you also may like in a rub is some Assam pepper and a long pepper like long Kampot, both will not work in any mill, just crush them up in a vice.

I also like Wayanad and Bucay pepper a lot, Kampot and Tellicherry are great too!
What you also may like in a rub is some Assam pepper and a long pepper like long Kampot, both will not work in any mill, just crush them up in a vice.
I came across long pepper when shopping. I had no idea. Guess I'm down the rabbit hole now! I will check out Wayanad and Bucay.

Do pepper corns last months/years as long as they are sealed? How long once open?

Eventually they lose flavor, just compare what you bought in a specialty shop with the pepper from a grocery store, the difference is not just the quality of pepper but also it's freshness.

The long peppers in general add warmth to a dish, very nice in stews etc, I learned of their existance during a Sicialian cooking workshop (pepato lungo in Osso Bucco).

I use so much pepper that I never run the risk of it going stale ;-)
Bought a HUGE bag of wild picked Andilaman peper as it's my absolute favorite (think Sichuan pepper/Ansho pepper in it's most citrussy fragrant form), previous 100g bag lasted 4 months and I did not detect a difference.

A good thick film resealable (if that is a word) bag works for me, or a mason jar. (i am particularly fond of the Bormioli mason jars)

Last edited:
Back