Pepper Mill Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marcel,
Thanks. I’ve had (and have) Szechuan pepper. I have not tried Ansho (yet) or long pepper. I’ll look for Andilaman.

“A good thick film resealable (if that is a word) bag”

In the US those are called “Ziplock” somewhat generically. It looks like the flat packs I ordered from Spice House come in resealable “ziplock” pouches.

Evan

Oops SANSHO pepper...ancho is a Mexican pepper, also nice, but I was trying to refer to Sansho pepper....the family of which sichuan pepper is a member, I probably have too many pepper varieties to keep proper track of them...

Any good on line links for some of these less common peppers?

https://www.depeperwinkel.nl/
Should be OK with G translate, some of the markers on a product inform about availability and being foraged from the wild by hand.

I've never gone wrong with this vendor (it's a pepper enthusiast's running a one man shop)

Last edited:
What kind of extreme quantities of pepper are you putting on your food that you need a motorized solution? 😐
I use the motorized salt and pepper grinders not for volume/speed but for hygienic speed. Electric in one hand, protein in the other. You can season both sides without washing your hands and or mill constantly. Yes I use hand grinders and mortars all the time too. Grubby little fingers in the dirty little wood jars while cooking as well. Raw proteins... Not so much

Though I still couldn't care less about fancy pepper mills, I have to admit I'm coming around to the idea that not all pepper is made equal. I skimped last time I bought it and it was a noticable step backwards in flavor.

Should be OK with G translate, some of the markers on a product inform about availability and being foraged from the wild by hand.

I've never gone wrong with this vendor (it's a pepper enthusiast's running a one man shop)
Anything you can recommend (and why) for a general purpose pepper mill black pepper for someone who has no clue about pepper?

Everything was translatable except shipping. Any idea how much it would cost to ship a 100g or so of packets to the US?

Everything was translatable except shipping. Any idea how much it would cost to ship a 100g or so of packets to the US?

shipping to usa is not offered. maybe if you email him? idk

I can handle that for you , no problem.....

tpgpost is the national postal company, anything over 100g up to 350g without tracking is 10.50 euro, with tracking 12.50 euro if it fits a mailbox, otherwise 18 or 20 respectively

Marcel,
Thanks. I heard back from presumably the owner. They don't ship internationally because of fear of seizure in customs. We've made tentative arrangements to meet up next time I'm in the NL to pick up a few samples. You, my friend, are also on my list to visit. Just need to find the time!
Evan

even if the spices are good, it's hard for me to respect a guy who tries to disable right clicking on his website with js. what a paranoid loser. i'm tired of user hostile design.

edit: just noticed he tries to manipulate the clipboard content (on copy event) to prevent copying text from the site. bahaha.

Last edited:
I ordered some Kampot and Tellicherry from Spice House. @parbaked Next time I’m in the city I’ll have to check out SF Herb—their prices look really good.
I found the Tellicherry recently bought from SF Herb to be inedible. It was hot and had some flavor but it's overall profile did not suit me. The person I talked to said it wasn't as good as a or the previous batch. I say look elsewhere. I started a new post on the subject of black peppercorns. The Le Sanctuaire Sarawak are very good and used by one of if not the most respected chef in the country, Thomas Keller. I have the Tellicherry from The Reluctant Trading on the way which has been reported to be used by Michelin stared restaurants. Huge number of excellent reviews.

Hexclad has a pepper mill out….
anyone here try it or have thoughts vis a vis weber or the cannon?

If I needed so much pepper in a hurry that I'd invest 130 bucks into a grinder I'd just buy a proper stick blender like a Bamix instead...

Particle size is all over the place with spinning blade. That really makes a difference. You tend to get a lot of fines, and that's not what I'm looking for in ground pepper.

At The Fat Duck, they'd grind fresh black pepper every hour for service and would use industrial sieves to separate the ground pepper into three different particle sizes for various uses. I always thought that was pretty gangster.

Particle size is all over the place with spinning blade. That really makes a difference. You tend to get a lot of fines, and that's not what I'm looking for in ground pepper.

At The Fat Duck, they'd grind fresh black pepper every hour for service and would use industrial sieves to separate the ground pepper into three different particle sizes for various uses. I always thought that was pretty gangster.
for coffee sieving look for Kruve, with a decent grinder you can select a fairly unimodal grind size.
the Weber is pretty good at that.

not sure I'd buy a hexclad product given the decisions they have made with their cookware and the way they market it tbh.

I was very close to buying a Craig Lyn Standard Pepper Mill based on this thread, but then I found this new contender on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C9MS5CF1/

My requirements for a fancy pepper cannon are a) high quality burrs, b) metal body with minimal plastic parts, c) grind size adjustment on the outside, similar to my 1Zpresso coffee grinder. This one seems to nail all three, to the extent of having a grind adjustment mechanism that looks almost identical to my amazing 1Zpresso K-Plus. And it's quite a bit cheaper than either the Craig Lyn or Weber mills.

The problem is that I can't seem to find the actual designer of this thing. Variants with minor visual customizations are sold by several different manufacturers, including ARKNOAH, Homnoble, and Luvan. For a design that looks this good on paper, I'd expect it to be sold under a single brand name. But it looks like the original manufacturer is acting as an OEM instead.

Anyone have any experience with this design?

Last edited:
I am curious on the responses to this. I have been more than satisfied with my Magnum Unicorns but am always looking out for something better.

I have avoided trying the Mann Kitchen one due to price.

The problem is that I can't seem to find the actual designer of this thing. Variants with minor visual customizations are sold by several different manufacturers, including ARKNOAH, Homnoble, and Luvan. For a design that looks this good on paper, I'd expect it to be sold under a single brand name. But it looks like the original manufacturer is acting as an OEM instead.

sounds like an alibaba special. doesn't mean it's bad though.

sounds like an alibaba special. doesn't mean it's bad though.
Yeah, my impression is that it's probably made by someone with experience manufacturing high-end coffee grinders. I wish I could find the original source to get the story behind this thing.

I have the unicorn magnum but I always put in a plug for the Oliver Hemming Spice Mill.

I like them both, but I use the Oliver Hemming more. I like the looks and the feel of it better, it is cleaner (the unicorn leaks grinds like crazy on some settings), it holds the grind better than the Unicorn and is way easier to fill. Just my 2 cents. Both are great, and I will never be able to outvote the Unicorn.

k.
Oh he!! yeah! I need one of these in my life.
I have the unicorn magnum but I always put in a plug for the Oliver Hemming Spice Mill.

I like them both, but I use the Oliver Hemming more. I like the looks and the feel of it better, it is cleaner (the unicorn leaks grinds like crazy on some settings), it holds the grind better than the Unicorn and is way easier to fill. Just my 2 cents. Both are great, and I will never be able to outvote the Unicorn.

k.
https://oliverhemming.com/products/red-spiceboy-sar?variant=37388876415125
Oh he!! yeah! I definitely need one of these in my life.

Back