Pepper Mill Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used my magnum since I decided to buy it from the start of this necro thread till now.
8 years on - never cooked steak au poivre. I reckon the Magnum would do fine without messing with grinds as the output I leave it at is medium and it has variation.
The new Weber Workshop could grind on 3 settings with a 1 second adjustment each time for coarseness, and give you coarse mid fine.
The problem I solved was upgrading from a mediocre mill into one that I liked a lot (magnum), and now into an expensive one that makes me smile.

Steak au poive is best with crushed, not ground, peppercorns.
Mortar and pestle or frying pan FTW...

Peugot does make metal mills that won't break. I have had these 3 Peugeots for table, travel & kitchen, for 20+ years with no issues but I don't drop them on the floor...
IMG_6573.jpeg

I bought the batteries and charger they offer on the site. They have been working fine for some time now, no issues.

I've been using Atlas grinders for decades and they're great for the table; sturdy, beautiful metal with a nice crank and decent grind mechanism. I picked up a Unicorn Magnum a few years ago on sale for $15 and it is clearly superior in terms of pure grinding power. The burrs are great, but I can't help but feel like the plastic body of the thing is kinda cheap. It doesn't feel like as nice of a grinder as it is.

I just saw a Kickstarter ad for the Pepper Cannon, which looks to be a serious contender. The branding and name are kinda "kitchen bro" oriented, but whatever. Some endorsements of the prototype from Kenji, Daniel Gritzer, and Babish (take those for what they're worth). The quality and materials look great, as does the performance. It's $150, so I won't be getting one. But for those of you with money to burn and the patience to wait until May of next year, check it out and report back.

I've been using Atlas grinders for decades and they're great for the table; sturdy, beautiful metal with a nice crank and decent grind mechanism. I picked up a Unicorn Magnum a few years ago on sale for $15 and it is clearly superior in terms of pure grinding power. The burrs are great, but I can't help but feel like the plastic body of the thing is kinda cheap. It doesn't feel like as nice of a grinder as it is.

I just saw a Kickstarter ad for the Pepper Cannon, which looks to be a serious contender. The branding and name are kinda "kitchen bro" oriented, but whatever. Some endorsements of the prototype from Kenji, Daniel Gritzer, and Babish (take those for what they're worth). The quality and materials look great, as does the performance. It's $150, so I won't be getting one. But for those of you with money to burn and the patience to wait until May of next year, check it out and report back.

Ill probably get one of those Cannons, but I'll wait for a production unit.

No kickstarter Ive ever personally backed has been even remotely close to it's estimated launch date. Maybe Im uniquely cursed.

As far as the Unicorn body not matching how good of a grinder it is, I really agree. I think if they made a 'nice' version for a little bit more it might be pretty popular for home cooks, especially if they went with the larger size. The massive capacity is the next best thing behind the burrs, IMO

I use a Hario Skerton without the rubber top or the glass base that I keep in a cabinet. I like having the option to throw in things other than pepper, though tbh 80% of the time it's just pepper.

I also just saw the ad for the Pepper Cannon - good thing I searched before starting a thread! Nothing is currently wrong with my existing Peugeots per se, but dont we all want bigger & better? Short of just using a Krups for grinding in large amounts the cannon looks pretty promising.

I also just saw the ad for the Pepper Cannon - good thing I searched before starting a thread! Nothing is currently wrong with my existing Peugeots per se, but dont we all want bigger & better? Short of just using a Krups for grinding in large amounts the cannon looks pretty promising.

bigger and faster grinding maybe, but I have a hard time believing a mill optimized for output will have a better end result than a mill optimized for taste like the PM grinders.

I LOVE my unicorn and use it all the time, but much like how I used Diamond while cooking and a fleur de seul to final season, I use my PM when I want to add pepper to a finished item.

could be wrong, and like I said I'm going to get one, but my expectations are it is more of a cooking grinder than a final seasoning grinder.

I like my Zassenhaus Frankfurt olive wood with ceramic mechanism.
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 12.47.13 PM.png

I got a unicorn after reading this thread. The only problem is that I go through pepper way too fast now. Had to purchase a big bag, which I've never had to do previously.

There’s a new product called the pepper cannon with positive reviews.

We've discussed it already a bit. There are no real-world reviews, since it's not shipping until May. Current orders now will be from the 3rd production run that don't ship until July... and there's only two of those available.

We've discussed it already a bit. There are no real-world reviews, since it's not shipping until May. Current orders now will be from the 3rd production run that don't ship until July... and there's only two of those available.

this.

also I asked the maker on insta how grind quality compared to a Puegot and he didnt seem to know how the PM grinder worked...

I still contend that a small manual coffee grinder is superior to anything else that has been mentioned from a cost to quality perspective. I can easily get as little or as much pepper as I want extremely quickly. Also, it's cleaner in the kitchen because all the grinds go into a an attached cup. There was mention previously in the thread about grind particle size distribution. I can say (at least with my sample size of 1) that you still get a range of grind sizes from course to fine like you do with a standard pepper mill. I would put money that if you compared a similar grid size from a traditional mill and the coffee grinder there would be no perceivable difference, however that may be due to the grinder I am using.

The one I am using is the Porlex mini. When I bought it from amazon 5 years ago it was about $50. It looks like they went up to about $80 back in March. I'm guessing that was because it's made in japan and shipping from there isn't as easy as it was before Covid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044ZA066/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

right or wrong, if i need a lot of ground pepper, i wack it up in my mortarpestle.

I've been using a Trudeau for years and years. Not saying it's a great purchase normally, but I got it for 30$ back in the old days when I wouldn't have cared to really shop one, but just needed one, and it's been faithful and faultless. Mine is the oversize restaurant stainless version...
7582FE58-2178-43B8-900B-F7696CDC32E5.jpeg

Can’t even try and count the number of times it’s been dropped on the floor or otherwise roughened.

This forum will deplete coin. Most have been good recoms for me. Got a Magnum years ago because of this thread. Got it 38.00 on Amazon before Hi. 4.7 sales tax. Fill it on its side with perfect plastic pour scoop.

Got a Niche Zero conical burr low RPM coffee grinder for espresso. Not cheap but worth every cent. Cafe Robot 100 percent peaberry Kona coffee. Medium roast we were bouncing
off the walls testing diff. roast from local roaster. Pulling shots with the Robot.

If this forum has not bankrupted you yet I think you will be okay. You've been able to stay solvent over 8-1/2 years of membership 😀

(Disclaimer: I actually know nothing about Keith's financial history, and I cannot confirm that this forum has not, in fact, bankrupted him at least once over the last 8-1/2 years. Follow the forum purchase recommendations at your own risk)

Don't own any Shigs or Kato. Have found knives that are great cutters at reasonable price.

Started collecting large silver coins in late 1990's Dollars 1795- 1803, 8 Reales South & central America. European Thalers. Shipwreck coins. Got books to figure die strikes all were made one at a time many had cracks, lumps, clash marks, holes to wear around neck.
Have less than 200 coins in my collection over twenty years. Most all made before steam presses in 1830's.

Figuring die strikes form scans on ebay have scored some truly rare coins. Here is Flowing Hair Dollar America's first made only two years
1794 & 1795. Most were weak strikes. A 1794 Flowing Hair in uncirculated condition set record of over 10 million dollars for one coin.

Most on Ebay are worn flat. Most have issues like plugged., Graffiti, cleaned, list goes on. I looked over two years before one came up that looked good for Flowing Hair. Still got it 3K under redbook at VF30 5,600.00 the most ever spent on a coin. My most rare coin is a 1795 Flowing Hair half dollar sent it to be certified with my strike #. It had been cleaned my # was correct. Got it years ago for 1,200.00. At a coin show here was offered 6 thousand for it.

Also 1796 XF draped bust dollar. Thomas Jefferson wanted a nicer Liberty. It has the small eagle. Large eagle reverse came in 1798.

Third coin is 1802 XF with large eagle.
IMG_20201209_090533491.jpg

IMG_20201209_090624257.jpg

IMG_20201209_091201303.jpg
IMG_20201209_091544074_MP.jpg

IMG_20201209_091743673.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201209_090624257.jpg
    IMG_20201209_090624257.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 3
Very cool. I was very into coin collecting when I was a kid, but of course I had no money so I could not, uh, buy much money. My parents had no interest either, so all I really managed to score beyond the typical circulated pennies, nickels, etc. from the 1920s onward was a couple Morgan dollars and a roman coin or two that may or may not actually be coins vs disks of rust 😀 I do have a handful of US proof sets from the late '60s/ early '70s my grandmother collected for me (I did not know about them until she gave them to me in the early '80s). I started collecting annual proof sets for my son a couple years ago. None of this stuff will ever hold a candle to the very cool early US coins you have in your collection.

Cool I collected when was a paper boy. Buffalo nickels, walking liberty half's still in circulation in early 1960's.

I'm lucky started when silver was way down & scarce coins not as expensive as now. Started out with Capped bust half's both colonial dollars & half dollars were larger than later US coins. These dollars are about 40mm just like the modern Eagle dollars with walking liberty obverse side. 1oz silver.

Back then could get XF & AU grades great eye appeal CB half's for under 100.00. One guy selling on ebay gave die strikes with little arrows on the scans. Contacted him got (US Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836) by Donald Parsley. Was my start to figuring strikes on my own. Got really good at it & it put detective work fun into collecting half dollars.

Later got Reivers book colonial dollars (1794- 1803). Now you look up Flowing Hair Dollars there are so few most are Flowing Hair half dollars they made much more of those.

I saw a XF FHD that looked good I like mine better. Want 14,800.00 for it. Most of few FHD look pretty bad.

When got mine some years ago I had been looking over two years for a nice one. When spotted it had 12 watchers already day later 20 watchers. I bought it.

That is dedicated collecting in a nutshell -- always be ready to strike when something exceptional comes up, and don't hem and haw over the price because: a) you will lose the opportunity, and b) a little ways down the road it will seem like a tremendous bargain.

Back