Perma soak water. Solutions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well lads.

Now I am remembering why I changed from soakers to S&G.

What is the current thinking on how to stop water getting funky with perma soak stones? The toilet tank is a great idea, but I'm not ready to go there until I exhaust all other possibilities.

So what are you guys doing to stop from creating a new life form?

Tiny bit of bleach, or make it a routine of changing the water, every Sunday for example.
i change the water every week when i bring home the work beaters to take them through a rotation, just to keep it a habit

I'm currently using the back of the toilet tank and it works fine. Back in the day I soaked many stones and used a 11x18x9 Cambro. Because of the weight when full, I drilled a hole in it and installed a marine valve to drain the water with. $10 DIY.

Overdo the bleach and it will take the markings off the stones. Pls don't ask me how I know.

If weight is the problem and you dont want to use bleach or alcohol, get yourself 2 bins.
Instead of lifting the bin with all your stones in it, you simply fill the second bin with clean water and then put all the stones from bin 1 into bin 2.
Then you empty and/or clean the first bin and you are done for the week or 2 weeks.

What is the current thinking on how to stop water getting funky with perma soak stones?
Don't perma-soak? I'm only being half-facetious here. I find that my soaking stones work just fine if I leave them under water for 30 minutes or so before I start.

Don't perma-soak? I'm only being half-facetious here. I find that my soaking stones work just fine if I leave them under water for 30 minutes or so before I start.
I find soaking stones are much more practical taking them out of water for use after a long day or Before I start work in comparison to putting them in water, waiting half an hour, then coming back to sharpen them.

but yes if it’s an existing problem of water fouling and you have the time and patience to soak them before every use, this is viable of course

You could just use leave it where it is. Wash your cat in it. Leave it for a few months to evaporate.

Maybe make soup? People eat algae right?

The toilet tank is calling you... No need to resist its siren song..

All y’all always dragging KKF into the toilet… the man wants this to be a good, clean thread! 😃

I’ve been considering adding a dedicated toilet tank next to my workshop bench. The single lever to drain and refill is so convenient. :)

Edit: maybe I should just add an open concept toilet, so I never have to leave the shop?

Last edited:
I'm also being half-facetious* here but... surely you can just leave it?

I might change the water in my bucket once or twice a month. If it was growing stuff in that time I'd be getting be getting onto my local council and/or water provider and demanding they up the levels of poisonous chemicals, fluorides, &c.

* And that in turn is only one quarter as facetious as most other people on the thread ;).

I'm also being half-facetious* here but... surely you can just leave it?

I might change the water in my bucket once or twice a month. If it was growing stuff in that time I'd be getting be getting onto my local council and/or water provider and demanding they up the levels of poisonous chemicals, fluorides, &c.

* And that in turn is only one quarter as facetious as most other people on the thread ;).
Pretty sure this problem is most pronounced when you touch the permasoaking water too much. The bacteria from our dirty, dirty hands finds a cozy home in the damp crevasses of our stones to exponentially multiply...

Faucetious, more likely 😈

Bravo! Very good indeed.

(And I'd wager you may the first person in history who has been presented with the opportunity to invent that pun. Flawlessly executed - I doff my cap.)

Pretty sure this problem is most pronounced when you touch the permasoaking water too much. The bacteria from our dirty, dirty hands finds a cozy home in the damp crevasses of our stones to exponentially multiply...

Interesting, I hadn't thought about that. Though I do use my soaked stones every single day for part of my work... perhaps I'm just a model of exemplary hygiene!

1624274411644.png

The KKF rabbit hole?

Now I understand why ppl say its deep

What about some white vinegar?
Not sure if this is justified, but personally I'd be worried about any potential long term effects this may have, both on the stone binder and the actual smell of the stones.

Not sure if this is justified, but personally I'd be worried about any potential long term effects this may have, both on the stone binder and the actual smell of the stones.

I've used a small amount of vinegar in the water with a long (several month) soak on a Rika - no issues what so ever on the stone.

However, vinegar is an acid - welcome to the blade turning rusty (as I learned - not consistent to every blade though).

Latest posts

Back