petty suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Citizen Snips

Founding Member
Reaction score
well, its been so long since ive asked for knife suggestions but i thought i would get some insight on what other people use.

im starting a fish-monger job in the next week doing lots of fabrication, delivery, and sales. because our business is only 2 of us we will be able to provide the best possible quality for fresh fish and lower prices than the bigger companies here. our market is almost entirely fine dining establishments so the fabrication has to be on point. this brings me to my dilema. im looking for a replacement for my 150mm sakai takayuki gc petty. in my restaurant im finishing up in i have used it in chicken, goat, lamb, pig and fish fabrication as well as cleaning up ribeyes, strips, tenderloins etc. i really love having a petty for all this. i use it on smaller fish and to take out the belly of larger fish. it works well as a utility knife and works well with my other three knives which are my 270mm HD gyuto, 210mm blue 2 mioroshi deba, and 300mm white 2 yanagi all konosuke

so my debate is between a white 2 and stainless along with the 180mm or 210mm size. im leaning towards 180mm but i would like the sujihiki profile which only seems available in 210mm petty knives. most 180mm ive seen look like paring knives not petty knives. as far as the steel, i prefer carbon all the way. i am not a big fan of stainless especially in this case. i have heard the line knife chat here and think that would be one of the acceptable places for stainless for me. i am not completely decided on steel yet but would love some input anyone might have on makers.

right now ive been thinking about the gesshin ginga, tadatsuna, and possibly going with all konosuke and getting an HD. id really like to stay under $200. that konosuke will put me over though because ill have to get the ebony handle to match the other three :D

thanks in advance

I know it is smaller than you want but what about the masamoto ks wa petty. It's monosteel, white #1. it's smaller than you want but has tge correct profile. Also less than $200.

I don't see any reason to not go with straight carbon steel, esp. if that's what you like. The bigger question I see is the Takayuki is thin but not that thin throughout the blade (iirc) and 150 is going to feel a lot sturdier than a 210. The lines that you are looking at are all pretty thin and flexible as far as that size knife goes. If you don't mind the thinness and flexibility, I might go for a Konosuke but otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.

tk59-i want to be able to control the flex. i dont want something like a thin boning knife that is overly flexible. i would prefer a controlled flex if that makes sense. right now im leaning towards something like white 2 180mm suji-profiled wa-petty. i just have to find the right maker.

g-rat-i have looked at the masamoto and am considering it as well. i may grab a matching suji while im at it.

iirc the masamoto's run longer than others because of where they are measured from. if someone else could confirm this it would be great. the 165mm petty would be closer to 180mm correct?

I was under the impression that Sakai Yusuke is pretty much identical to Konosuke, Tad, etc. While I thought these were suprisingly flexible, they were nowhere near as flexible as a "flexible" filet knife. I do prefer mine a little sturdier feeling like my Rottman 210 or my REALLY sturdy 210 Fujiwara (Terayasu).

A custom from Ashi Hamono in White#2. You can order up anything you want for no extra cost: HT/hardness, length, geometry, distal taper, etc.

Sakai Yusuke is also a good bet.

My Suisin IH 210 petty is an awesome knife, but it is also the thinnest and most delicate knife I own. Although I have a light stroke when cutting, in no way do I baby any of my Konosukes (sujis/gyuto)...but this wa-petty is a bit different than my other anorexic knives.

As much as I love wa handles for most everything else, there are certain times with this particular petty that I wish it had a yo-handle instead, as it would just have an overall sturdier feel because of how light it is (68 grams). The only reason I wanted to chime in here is because you are using primarily for fish fabrication, and just thought you might want something a bit more robust for this. Not saying a 210 wa-petty this thin wouldn't work well, I just think I'd want a yo-handled version or something a little more substantial for that. Just my 2 cents.

My Suisin IH 210 petty is an awesome knife, but it is also the thinnest and most delicate knife I own. Although I have a light stroke when cutting, in no way do I baby any of my Konosukes (sujis/gyuto)...but this wa-petty is a bit different than my other anorexic knives.

As much as I love wa handles for most everything else, there are certain times with this particular petty that I wish it had a yo-handle instead, as it would just have an overall sturdier feel because of how light it is (68 grams). The only reason I wanted to chime in here is because you are using primarily for fish fabrication, and just thought you might want something a bit more robust for this. Not saying a 210 wa-petty this thin wouldn't work well, I just think I'd want a yo-handled version or something a little more substantial for that. Just my 2 cents.

i get what you are saying but yo handles are so uncomfortable now that i dont even consider them anymore. also with the kind of work it will be getting i need it to be able to be adjusted in my hand and that is one thing that yo handles do not do well. different angles and grips are what make wa handles so useful for me as someone who doesn't want to have any more than 5 knives in my bag

A custom from Ashi Hamono in White#2. You can order up anything you want for no extra cost: HT/hardness, length, geometry, distal taper, etc.

Sakai Yusuke is also a good bet.

i know you love yusuke, but have you had a petty from them? i have considered them but kinda narrowed down my search before i made this post. this removed the yusuke, masamoto, and suisin lines.

the pictures ive seen of ashi hamono are a lot more like paring knives but i was unaware they would do custom work. do you happen to have a website or contact info on them. the only thing ive seen from them was on jons page.

I have the Sakai Yusuke 210 petty. It is very thin but it does not flex that much. If you try to cut massive things then yes it flexes a little, but I don't mind it at all. It has nice f+f with a rounded spine which is a nice touch. It's also fairly cheap for white steel, much cheaper than the Gesshin or Konosuke or Suisin. I got a saya with mine for like $20 also. I think I'm gonna try the Gesshin next, I am finding 210 pettys incredibly useful

I have the Sakai Yusuke 210 petty. It is very thin but it does not flex that much. If you try to cut massive things then yes it flexes a little, but I don't mind it at all. It has nice f+f with a rounded spine which is a nice touch. It's also fairly cheap for white steel, much cheaper than the Gesshin or Konosuke or Suisin. I got a saya with mine for like $20 also. I think I'm gonna try the Gesshin next, I am finding 210 pettys incredibly useful

i do like the idea of 210mm but i think for my uses i will require a 180mm. where did you happen to get yours from?? ive seen them only at bluewayjapan.

Yeah I got it at bluewayjapan. Got it because buying such a knife was basically an experiment and I didn't wanna spend so much on the Konosuke or Gesshin but I will probably get one of them soon because I use mine so much

ya im kinda past the point where i would like to experiment with knives. i know what i want and just have to find the right maker.

I'm sure you can get custom Ashi blades through Jon.

Bluewayjapan also takes custom orders for Ashi Hamono. I can send you the email address if you want. I have a Chuka bocho and a Ginga Wa-gyuto from them and both orders were made and posted inside a week.

By the way, the Yusuke White Steel series are not an inferior option - the steel, fit and finish and grind on them are second-to-none.

while i do like the yusuke lines, i just feel like i need something custom. i may pick up a gyuto and petty for my wife as her first wa-handles. its time for her to upgrade from my used 240mm hiro AS

Back