Petty Thoughts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@jacko9 yeah it’s definitely a candidate. How is the edge retention on it? I may be using it on the line. Also probably using it on lemons and I live in south FL.
It holds an edge pretty well and I cut up a lot of oranges from our tree. I do strop it frequently while working with citrus with 0.75 CBN on a Cherry Wood Strop (from my wood shop).

I am lucky 2 have plenty of nice knives. My itinomonn 150 gets used every single day. Semi core (super easy to sharpen, won’t rust) with stainless jacket. It’s so great. I guess a Kaeru SLD would be the replacement.. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experiences with the Masamoto KS petty and how it performs? I'm looking for a 150 to 165mm petty to have lying around.

The KS is a thin, slicing rapier. Like a letter opener. No chopping clearance...but if you hold it off board, it’s a great little “tip chopper”. And there may be no better silver skin remover, little butchering dagger.. and Japanese approximation of the classic French “thin filet knife”.

Spendy thing .. but it’s very cool. Ashi ginga white is another good alternative if you want carbon (but, the KS is slow to patina anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️).

Last edited:
The KS is a thing rapier. Like a letter opener. No chopping clearance. But if you hold it off board, it’s a g little “tio
Chopper”. And there may be no better silver skin remover.. and Javanese approximation of the classic French “thin filet knife”.

Spendy thing .. but it’s very cool. Ashi ginga white is another good alternative

Perfect, exactly what I'm looking for, a handheld small knife and not a mini gyuto :)

Does anyone have any experiences with the Masamoto KS petty and how it performs? I'm looking for a 150 to 165mm petty to have lying around.
Suisin Inox Honyaki is similar in shape and weight, stainless, available in 180 and 210 versions, on sale now at Korin.

I struggle with knives without a fair amount of board clearance, so I personally prefer the funayuki shape, but the 150 takamura knife is popular for good reason IMO and Ive been looking to get one since giving another short yo knife to my dad

It seems stainless seem to be more acceptable of a choice for a petty. Is there a reason to choose stainless other than avoiding the need to wipe down after a quick use?

It seems stainless seem to be more acceptable of a choice for a petty. Is there a reason to choose stainless other than avoiding the need to wipe down after a quick use?

It really comes down to how much maintenance and care you want to put in really. Whatever is acceptable depends on you.

90% of what I use a petty for is citrus (Fla you know). Makes sense to have stainless for that application. Do have a carbon 180mm Marko for silverskin removal. It will not be leaving me until the will is read.

my Ashi Ginga petty 210mm will arrive in few days, will upload my feedback once I used😊😊😊

Was going to start a petty thread but hopping on this one. For all petty users, how does the blade height and length affect your use of the petty with respect to chopping or push cutting? Does it affect it at all? Lets compare a 30mm blade height to a 36 to a 40mm. And perhaps a 150 to 165 to 180m for length? Is there a sweet spot in your opinion? Or is it more about the laser and sharpness of the knife that is more important to the slicing motion or the technique of the user?

Perhaps not the best question out there but it might help me decide which petty to get first:)

It depends a lot on what you're using it for. If you want to use it like a mini gyuto to cut a lot of vegetables and what not then blade height is nice. If you use it to trim meats or do in-hand stuff like making citrus suprêmes then blade height just gets in the way.

Was going to start a petty thread but hopping on this one. For all petty users, how does the blade height and length affect your use of the petty with respect to chopping or push cutting? Does it affect it at all? Lets compare a 30mm blade height to a 36 to a 40mm. And perhaps a 150 to 165 to 180m for length? Is there a sweet spot in your opinion? Or is it more about the laser and sharpness of the knife that is more important to the slicing motion or the technique of the user?

Perhaps not the best question out there but it might help me decide which petty to get first:)
I used to have 150mm blue two petty from Mizuno tanrenjo, the height was too short for me, for petty i recommend at least 180-210mm.
I like laser profile because using for trimming meat, slicing sushi & lemon.

Laser cut through food more easily, for petty I assume not much people using chopping??

Haha no need to blush, I was just wondering as you listed lengths after saying you thought 150 had too little blade height 🙂

Why do you exactly like a taller petty?

For all the tasks you listed I actually like a very short blade height. Only the lemon doesn't really matter much to me.

I have a Toyama 150mm stainless clad and it is amazing. Due to its profile I use it more as a small gyuto. Performance is absolutely amazing, just love this knife. For in hand tasks or mincing some garlic or shallots I use my 120mm Munetoshi. Performs like a champ.

My Ginga petty finally arrived. It was so thin & light weight, cutting performance is real good.
IMG_20210113_122106.jpg
IMG_20210113_122315.jpg
IMG_20210113_122349.jpg
IMG_20210113_122116.jpg
IMG_20210113_122402.jpg
😍😍😍

Back