Stefan's Philadelphia it is!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't jinx things! (Besides, with global warming there won't be any more snow in Philly. Although I got my snow thrower ready, cause I'm a pessimistic skeptic when it comes to almost everything.)

Don't be so sure about decreasing snowfall, we may be heading into another Maunder Minimum soon. A team of scientists have discovered that there are two, not one as previously thought, magnetic fields moving round the Sun and that when they are in opposite hemispheres and are peaking at the same time they null each other out. This is predicted to start happening in Solar Cycle 25 and peak in Solar Cycle 26 (2030-2040). I think this is goin to be pretty neat to live thru, but I like cold weather. http://www.ras.org.uk/news-and-press/2680-irregular-heartbeat-of-the-sun-driven-by-double-dynamo

Sorry about cluttering up the thread, but this is almost as cool as Stefan moving close enough to attend the ECG this year.

Please don't jinx things! (Besides, with global warming there won't be any more snow in Philly. Although I got my snow thrower ready, cause I'm a pessimistic skeptic when it comes to almost everything.)

Start thinking of climate change to be a true pessimist. Hotter summers and colder winters... get that air con and snow thrower ready.

Congrats Stefan, happy to hear you survived the short notice move (plus frosh week ;)). It sounds like things are looking a lot better than before too. Also glad that you haven't abandoned handle making either; I've got a few Benjis set aside for safe keeping for when/if things get going again :whistling:

Sorry about cluttering up the thread, but this is almost as cool as Stefan moving close enough to attend the ECG this year.
Fun Fact: Stefan has attended ECGs before. He holds the 'longest distance traveled' record. Jon is runner-up, but he has made more of them. And Del wins for "longest distance traveled by a knifemaker".

Thanks guys. True, I caught 2 ECGs a few years back. For this summer I hope to get to visit my family in Germany for a few weeks - parents are not getting younger - but other than that I should be around. Officially I am on a 9-month contract, so summer is a bit more flexible.

As for the shop, first I have to pick up some of the pieces. Still stuff to ship out that I did not get to, but I sent the handles to myself and they just arrived, so that will be happening asap. After that, it depends. I need a few pay checks to pay for the last part of the move to get my stuff once it arrives. Then a few pay checks to rent a place were I could set up a shop. Getting some furniture might not be a bad idea either. And I would need to invest in some tools to get going again. I left my drill press behind and I would love a larger sander plus a dust removal system, but that's at least $2,500 I don't have. After my recent tardiness with shipping things I am not sure if anybody would still trust me enough to pay in advance, on the other hand I really would have considerably more time over the summer to do things. We'll see. My hope is still to set up a small shop, dabble in a few handles and other ideas I have, sell off a bit of my wood to set off costs, and see how that goes. Worst case scenario, I sell all my wood and tools and take up knitting.

Oh, and my car arrived in Philly - I had it shipped because it is old but mine and paid - so that I should have my convertible here just in time for the projected first snow storm of the season next weekend.

Stefan

Stefan at least you are busy teaching. It will be good to do a Germany visit for some quality time while your parents are still kicking. Been great knowing you over the years.

Aloha Keith

Stefan, congratulations on the move and new job. Your students are lucky to have you and it will recharge your spirit to enjoy the classroom again. Teaching is a joy. I also second Keith in encouraging you to go and see your family back in Germany.

Ernesto

Hi Stefan, just had my semester evaluation for my seminars and kind of realized once again how much I actually enjoy teaching and can totally relate to what you are saying. So, If you're passionate about it it's quite rewarding no matter how stressful the whole thing is. To feel that at least some of the students are really thankful and appreciative about what you are giving them is really quite something. So, all the best in Philly!

Well it looks like you're going to get your first Philly snowstorm Stefan, I knew it wouldn't be long for that to happen.

BTW, in case you didn't know, you'll need to get an old kitchen chair ready to hold your place when you move your car after cleaning the space all out. And it's perfectly legal to shoot the son of a ***** who runs over your chair and parks in your spot. It's a Philly tradition! :D

Hi Stefan,
I haven't been around the forum much lately but this caught my attention. Welcome to Philly and congrats - and don't believe everything you hear. University City has changed a lot and is a pretty safe area now because they finally built a good public school, and Penn faculty and staff tend more to live there. It has also gotten pretty pricey. Keep us informed and if you need some feedback on neighborhoods, let me know.
Seth

Not sure where you want to be located, but one workspace option you might consider is getting a place near a makerspace like Netfab. Actually netfab has 2 locations, one at 2025 Washington St, and one at 1227 N 4th st. The flagship location is a 21,000 sqft makerspace and the smaller one on N 4th st is 4000sqft location. The tool list is staggering, it's a veritable candyland for woodworkers and metalworkers. Apart from all the normal stuff you'd expect but they have two $15,000 shopbot woodworking CNC machines, mini-lathes, plasma cutters, the list goes on and on. A CNC machine would make true mortise and tenon joints between the handle and the ferrule a 60 second operation, not to mention opening up other incredible possibilities for a man with your talent. Check out this equipment list:

http://www.nextfab.com/locations/flagship/equipment-list

A basic membership is $49/month, which isn't cheap, but if you found a place close-by, it might be a cheaper option than trying to find a place with a basement to set up shop in. It's also a great way to connect with interesting, talented people when you're new to the area.

Where else can you get a whole workshop outfitted with $250,000 worth of tools for $50/month! Anyhow, I just thought I'd mention it. Best of luck!

Just saw this - thanks gents! I had seen Philadelphia Woodworks but not the other one. They both offer interesting things and probably opportunities I cannot even imagine right now... I will definitely keep them in mind, both are not far off either for an after-work stop or close to where I am looking for a place right now (Manayunk/Roxborough/East Falls). For the 'everyday' work, however, I still think I need an option to just walk down to the basement for an hour and do something. The last arrangement I had, where in the end I needed to drive 12 miles to the shop every time I wanted to do something, just did not work out. I always waited for larger chunks of time which never came...

Things are still going well. This past 10 days I have been struggling with a bronchitis that knocked me out and I had to shlepp myself to my classes between all the sleeping and coughing. But I kind of expected that to happen after the change from the tropics to a winter climate; as long as I am fit again by next week I am fine.

As for housing, if one of you locals has a hint, please let me know. I thought East Falls looks nice, makes for a short commute, but I am open to alternatives as long as they are not Center City, I am too old for that...

Stefan

The last arrangement I had, where in the end I needed to drive 12 miles to the shop every time I wanted to do something, just did not work out. I always waited for larger chunks of time which never came...[/COLOR]

I know what you mean. My makerspace is about 10 miles away as well, and it's surprising how much activation energy it takes to overcome the commute when you have a lot of other things going on. My makerspace had a SuperUser membership level that granted full 24/hr/365 access to the 15,000 sqft worth of woodworking equipment, metalworking equipment, 3d printers, cutting lasers, etc. I absolutely loved the place, but like you say, you need to carve out a big block of time to make it worth the 30 min roundtrip commute. I also have 3 kids under the age of 4, so the missus didn't appreciate me leaving before 8:00pm. In short, I didn't get over there nearly enough to justify the $100/mth.

If I was single though, I think I'd rent an apartment in the same building!

I like the character of East Falls, but maybe it would be too sedate for you? Manayunk certainly has lots of activity.

Do you have most basic tools? If, once you get settled, you'd like to borrow some (e.g., table saw, router), let me know; I haven't used them for quite a while and don't expect to return to woodworking for some time.

Don't be so sure about decreasing snowfall, we may be heading into another Maunder Minimum soon. A team of scientists have discovered that there are two, not one as previously thought, magnetic fields moving round the Sun and that when they are in opposite hemispheres and are peaking at the same time they null each other out. This is predicted to start happening in Solar Cycle 25 and peak in Solar Cycle 26 (2030-2040). I think this is goin to be pretty neat to live thru, but I like cold weather. http://www.ras.org.uk/news-and-press/2680-irregular-heartbeat-of-the-sun-driven-by-double-dynamo

Sorry to derail some more not a right wing dude, have had an interest in geology since took geology of Hawaii in 1970. Even on Oahu sea levels have been much higher and lower in it's 3 million year history. Shifts in solar radiation, distance from sun in elliptical orbit, and earth axis movement have large impact on earths cooling and warming periods. See a lot of human screwing up the planet causing global warming as absolute fact. Think it is somewhere in between to think we have control over cooling and warming is wishful thinking.

Nice to see you on here Salty, no nearly enough of you lately. And Stefan, hoping to finally meet in person sometime in the somewhat near future

Sorry to derail some more not a right wing dude, have had an interest in geology since took geology of Hawaii in 1970. Even on Oahu sea levels have been much higher and lower in it's 3 million year history. Shifts in solar radiation, distance from sun in elliptical orbit, and earth axis movement have large impact on earths cooling and warming periods. See a lot of human screwing up the planet causing global warming as absolute fact. Think it is somewhere in between to think we have control over cooling and warming is wishful thinking.

Keith,

Sorry that my post was not clear:beatinghead:. That was exactly what I was trying to avoid! My comments were only on this finding of a second magnetic belt and what it's effect may be. I though the science behind it to be pretty cool, and I love the idea that I might be alive to see if they are right.
Not on the same scale, but did you read about how Einstein's theory of gravitational ripple's was finally confirmed! Again so cool: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ory-confirmed-a-guide-to-gravitational-waves/

I like the character of East Falls, but maybe it would be too sedate for you? Manayunk certainly has lots of activity.

Do you have most basic tools? If, once you get settled, you'd like to borrow some (e.g., table saw, router), let me know; I haven't used them for quite a while and don't expect to return to woodworking for some time.

I like parts of East Falls and Roxborough. Turns out that Manayunk is driving me nuts - too much traffic, everything narrow and tight, no parking etc. But it may come totally differently: I just applied for a place in Ardmore. A bit further out than I wanted but within 10 minutes from all my Mainline friends. Just a nice little twin house that has everything I could think of, except a gas stove. We'll see... I think Suburbia fits me better than inner city life. The place also has an area in the basement for a small wood shop - much smaller than what I had and no ocean view, but better than nothing and no driving 12 miles to get there ;)

Reg. tools - I may get back to you on that, Larry, I did not bring everything with me and maybe I can borrow a tool or two until I have the funds to buy new.

Stefan

. But The place also has an area in the basement for a small wood shop - much smaller than what I had and no ocean view, but better than nothing and no driving 12 miles to get there ;)

Jersey shore is close... And not as bad as people think. Well, for you it's like trading in your Porsche for a Passat... But we can't have it all, can't we? ;)

Slow, but things are moving forward. Still waiting for access to some things I need to ship out, but things should fall into place in April: Just signed a lease for a place with basement and the landlord is ok with me setting up some woodworking tools there. Still have to find out how to afford a few of the tools I need, but eventually I may get back into the swing of things. Looks like there are plenty of alternatives for people interested in handles, but maybe I venture iut into a few different things as long as I enjoy woodworking.

Stefan

Hey Stefan, happy to hear things are working out. If accepting prepayments/deposits would help with getting the necessary funds, I'd be happy to help when the time is right (I'm probably not the only one either).

Slow, but things are moving forward. Still waiting for access to some things I need to ship out, but things should fall into place in April: Just signed a lease for a place with basement and the landlord is ok with me setting up some woodworking tools there. Still have to find out how to afford a few of the tools I need, but eventually I may get back into the swing of things. Looks like there are plenty of alternatives for people interested in handles, but maybe I venture iut into a few different things as long as I enjoy woodworking.

Stefan

Great news Stefan! :doublethumbsup:

Back