phone book micarta?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
I got an idea.

why not soak part of an old phone book in resin and make paper micarta out of it?
and just clamp it. basically 90% of all work required for diy micarta is already done by the "phone company".

we have white pages, yellow pages and so on. or why not go wild and do some kind of technical catalog??

think i'm gonna find some old catalog at work to try.

I'm all for DIY, but how exepensive is just buying Micarta?

For something small like aknife handle/scales,
I would think the setup/cleanup time
etc would eat up alot of the "savings"

Perhaps you could save some roughing out
process steps if you mold it to rough shape?
and maybe some economies of scale if doing
like 10-20 pairs or something?

Just curious on your thought process :D

the thing with diy for me is not the money. its usually much more expensive to make stuff yourself (by far), but i enjoy making stuff. just beacuse i can. and i think no one has done phone book micarta yet.

it would mostly be a fun project. quite expensive and timeconsuming too for the possible outcome.

but it could be interesting.

yeah those are scarce these days. i will substitute it. the decline of the civilized society. its sad.

yeah those are scarce these days. i will substitute it. the decline of the civilized society. its sad.
Here's where you need to go :p
strand-cart1-320x253.png

Certainly you could call up local telecom companies and have one sent to you?

In Australia, phone books stopped existing years and years ago.

I'll believe that. That was just my best guess for a possible course of action given that companies do still offer landline phone service in the USA, though I've not personally seen a phone book for a very long time.

i have not seen an actual phone book since like 2004 or so. i guess they went out of fashion.

If you use a phone book, make sure not to use one from New York if you are living in Chicago because the numbers will all be useless…

phone book micarta might be fun to try, white pages or yellow? It would take a lot of layers since the paper is so thin. I've tried colored craft paper and some different fabrics with mixed results. What I noticed with the fabric is everything got much darker than it originally was which messed with my layering contrast.

Back