Pick one...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
If someone gives you a knife for free. On one hand, Carter Stainless Fukugozai & Konosuke HD Gyuto on the other, both are of the same length. Which one would you pick?

Karlo

That's not a nice question to ask... But I think I'd go with the Carter. They both cut great but I'd give the edge to the Carter. The HD might win the edge retention but that really doesn't matter to me. The profile on the Carter is flatter, which I prefer. Plus, it's forged white #1 which is cool and I don't mind rounding the edges or otherwise modifying it or getting it rehandled later. If I wanted pretty and didn't want to have to mess with it to get it "perfect," I would be tempted to go with the HD.

Id go for the Carter but thats only because i have the Konosuke already :)

I have not tried the Konosuke, but the Carter impressed me a lot. It takes a really evil edge and holds it pretty good. I also like the grind of the Carter a lot. :my2cents:

DarKHOeK

Well, I think a Carter in the 240mm range would far out-price an HD, so on value alone, I'd pick the Carter....plus, I too already own an HD. (And will sometime in the near future pick up a Carter; waiting for the next "sale")

Would have to go with the Carter. Already own a Kono white #2 so something a little different. How much would a Carter cost for a 240mm any way?

Carter. BTW, I tot the steel was blue super with stainless cladding??

Yup. I specified white because that is what Murray recommends and that is what I have.

And if it's Blue Super instead of white then you should really snap it up, because that's a higher priced knife than his white steel line. On pure market economics the Carter is definitely the way to go, but I would go with it on pure performance factors as well. Especially considering it's usually pretty rare to come across a Carter on the market that long. Most of the time the knives he has on his website fall below 200 mm - he's actually had a few longer than that for sale recently, but he went about 2 years without posting anything that wasn't damascus and extremely expensive that was longer than 6.5 sun or so.

He has a couple of long funayuki's at his website right now, 7's 8's and 9's... I'm waiting for a 6.5 sun to become available... Right now I'm taking a good look at the 210mm HD... but if there's going to be a 6.5 sun SGFZ soon, I'm going to probably go with Carter... but... I'm also curious about the HD.... But I already have a 5 sun funayuki and it's just CRAZY good... but the HD looks very impressive and heard very good reviews about it... but the funayuki... I'm confused... don't know what to do!!!!! HELP ME!!!!! haha! :happy2:

(i love the "what knife to buy" dilemma, best problem in the world :scratchhead:)

If I only had a Carter, I'd probably get the HD. It is a very good performer and it's a little different.

Carter, because it's made in America.

I agree that it's not a nice question to ask, though. Tough call. Can't really go wrong, though.

So what do you think the price would be for a SFGZ? I've been thinking about maybe picking up one.

Carter. For political reasons as well as functional ones.

Hmm interesting. Thanks. Can't help but wonder what other knives out there are in the same level as a Carter. Might have to do some more digging. Thanks again.

I have both in my kitchen, and while I love (and I mean love) the konosuke, I'd get another Carter in a heartbeat.

Strictly for value and resale, I would definitely go with the Carter. For free and at that length?, I go for resale value, so I can continue to get new knives without overstocking

Back