Pictures of some "Quarantine Time" projects

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Rowland

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Here is a collection of some of the projects I have been able to complete during the past month in between family time.

Long Petty with a Osage orange handle, 165mm blade
Bunka with a Mesquite burl handle, 175mm blade
Petty with a blue dyed Maple burl handle, 100mm blade
Small Nakiri with a crosscut Bacote handle, 145mm blade
Honyaki Gyuto that I am still working on, lots of finishing left to do and make the handle, 220mm blade
Osage Long Petty.jpg
Mesquite Burl Bunka.jpg
Blue Maple Burl Petty.jpg
Bacote Nakiri.jpg
Honyaki Hamon.jpg

Thanks, my hamons have been getting better.

Here is another petty complete, this time dressed in cocobolo.....and I forgot to wipe off the excess wd-40 from the blade :facepalm:

And a pretty out there bright flashy handle I finished up a few days ago.....way out of what I normally like but hey it was still fun.
cocobolo petty.jpg
thumbnail_Blue Handle.jpg

Nice stack of handle material in the background. Are you using epoxy or CA glue?

Nice stack of handle material in the background. Are you using epoxy or CA glue?

Oh my handle material and wood collection is just a wee bit excessive. See below just for a pile that I will be stabilizing this weekend.
Liner material to scale is CA glue (Starbond or Stickfast).
Prepped scales to Tang is G-flex epoxy.

wood pile to stabilize.jpg

Another one finished.
This was supposed to be a Christmas present for my dad...looks like Father's day now.

He has never really liked using my J-knives and has always used Henckles.
So when I asked him what type of chef knife he wanted me to make him his direction was to just have a high tip with plenty of belly and to keep it classy. Something that would still look beautiful in 50 years. I think I nailed it.
BTW months ago someone had a post regarding ergonomic western handles and I posted my drawing for this knife....well here it is finally.

220mm 52100 at 62rc, frame handle with micarta, black walnut, brass.

pops knife3.jpg
pops knife4.jpg
pops knife1.jpg

Last edited:
Back