PIF Springtime update

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
Hello all,
I apologize for not being as active (posting-wise) in the PIF department lately, but I've been slack! I was kinda reminded to do this by some bumping of my past threads, soooo
here it goes:
Some stuff I've been working on, some stuff available, etc.

First off, I want to give a big thanks to forum member pleue(Patrick). I shipped him out the Tojiro shirogami nakiri for a coworker of his, and he sent back a nice donation with:
A Sabatier Fuso flexible boning knife, a couple CIA issued utility knives, and a big stainless Joyce Chen cleaver. The cleaver is in the midst of a rehandle and the 2 CIA knives went out to 2 different people here in CLT. Thanks Patrick!
The Sab boner went to snowbrother(who recently had his kit stolen while at work!), along with a Messermeister serrated and (finally!) the Sab Chef au Ritz flexible carbon slicer.
Here's a pic of the Messer
DSC_00214_zps8ccaf776.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_00235_zps1ffc46da.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the Mac-mini I did. I ended up swapping it out with a chef at my last job for the same knife.

DSC_0108_zpsfee07332.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
And the finished "new one" is now available to someone in need. It's got ironwood scales, and while it's not anywhere near as cool looking as the first one, it's still pretty cool.
DSC_0068_zps53615402.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0072_zps4469359c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
SO, FREE KNIFE, FREE KNIFE!!!

And a couple of other recent PIF's locally for my coworkers.
DSC_00267_zps0807424d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_00314_zps8fafbe19.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This is a Wustoff boner, the handle is actually from the same block that is on the Mac mini. It's crazy how different the figure and coloring are on the same piece.

And I did a Connoisseur Chef in linen micarta. This is the first time I worked with it, and I really don't like it. It gums up my belts like crazy! But it came out OK.
I also put a G-10 handle on a Global, yes a Global.
I will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER do this again! All the grinding and sanding away..............
What does the inside of a Global handle look like?
IMG_20130430_102419_zps30b29e13.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Yeah and there's sand inside too.

DSC_00472_zps3c5a5e75.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_00512_zps393a9683.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0062_zps0e120bab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lastly, a couple of sharpening devices available as well. 2 are these sharpening pad thingies, I believe they are 325 and 750 grit, and also a 1500 grit aluminum oxide(I think) stone with base. This might be good for a super-newbie to get started on.
DSC_0040_zps289fde2f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
PM me if interested in the Mac or Stones.

Thanks again to pleue, panda(for the 1500 stone), daveb (for the sharpening pad thingies, Messer) and I think JmAdams13 for the Global!

More to come soon.

Glad the knives could be put to good use. I'll keep scrounging to see if there's anything else I can send you.

That Mac is pretty sweet, a Brazilian guy I work with just moved to the states and another coworker gave him an old beater chefs blade but I think he would be pretty stoked to have a utility knife if nobody else wants/needs it! Lemme know, I'll pay for shipping or whatever so he could get hooked up.

-Brad

That Global is def. different. I always figured that the end would be how they sealed the handle on those. Great looking handles there.

That Global project looks like a nightmare. I can see why you'll never do that again :)

My old global looks great! It's interesting to know what the inside the handle looks like. Sorry t came to you with suck a crappy edge.

If no one takes the sharpening pad thingys, let me know. I don't wanna be #one on the list, but have someone who would be interested

Latest posts

Back