Pimento Cheese Recipe - Need One

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxhaus

Reaction score
I am looking for a Pimento Cheese recipe that has a nice cheddar cheese taste to make for Christmas. Anybody have a favorite?

8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
224 g Duke's mayonnaise
115 g bread & butter pickle brine
1 tbsp Tobasco
1.5 tsp kosher salt
0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sugar

Beat the above into a smooth mixture using a stand mixer

100g bread & butter pickles, chopped
350g pimento peppers
100g sharp cheddar cheese (cannot use pre-shredded)

Best into the cream cheese mayo mixture until smooth

355g sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (cannot use pre-shredded)

Fold in the remaining cheese by hand.

If this isn't the best you've ever had you did it wrong. I am ready to fight anyone's grandma and die on this Southern hill

Sounds good. I don't have any bread and butter pickles. Can I buy them at HEB, what brand, I noticed you were from Texas? I have all the rest of the ingredients. Are your bread and butter pickles sweet? Seems like most I have had are.

I found bread and butter pickles at HEB. I am going ahead and making it today.
IMG_1135.jpg

It is finished and tastes great. It does seem a little more liquid than I was thinking.I measured everything out using my coffee scale. Do you see any errors I made? It may just need to set up in the refrig. Did I grate the cheese wrong? Should I have used a dryer cheese? Do you have any suggestions? Just my thoughts after making it. I did fold in the rest of the cheese as I used the whole block.

Thank you so much for the recipe. This is going to be my Christmas pimento cheese recipe as it tastes great.
What is your favorite cheese to use in this recipe?

PS
I did strain the pimentos to get the juice off. It ended up taking 2 big jars of pimentos.

IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, if I can grab a second I’ll double check and make sure I down sized the recipe right. Refrigeration does usually help but I’d expect fluffier and more congestive to start.

Also you want the cheese to be incorporated into the mixture, like a chunky pâté. The mixer can help smoosh that cheese up, or you could pulse it a bit in a food processor, but typically that would be done before adding the pimentos so there are still distinct chunks of pepper instead of being blended in. Either way it will still taste great.

I used a big 10-inch strainer and let it drip for 40 minutes. It is much better now. I am thinking no pickle juice as there is enough liquid in the pickles and pimentos for next time.

Gotta admit, I like the upscale version of this. I vaguely know I'm not supposed to, but whatever.

https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/whipped-pimento-cheese/
Lacking a local source for Taleggio, I've substituted one triple creme and one stinky soft cheese. Mexican red habenero hot sauce instead of Texas Pete's, because it's what I had. I'd never make it with the green peppers, only the red. And I have not tried the malt liquor, in case my teetotaling wife wants some. Maybe next time. But still, it's wonderful.

If you take only one thing from that recipe, it should be roasting the red peppers yourself, instead of buying them in a jar. Makes a huge difference. I do it in the oven at 400 degrees, whole red peppers, 20 minutes per side. Definitely capture all the liquid from inside the peppers.

I like to go Dutch here. Forgive me for not including measurements, I just wing it. I'll try to list the ingredients in order of quantity, most at top, just mix it all up in a big bowl. If I'm entertaining, I'll usually make one with chilies and one without.

Smoked Gouda, grated
Mayo
Chopped Pimentos from a jar or two, well drained
Pickled Jalapenos, diced small, optional
Scallions, thinly sliced, before adding these, mix all the previous ingredients up thoroughly, then add the scallions and gently fold them in so they don't get too slimy.

Back