Pineapple

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it safe to use any of my Japanese style knives to cut a pineapple? I don't want to damage the edge etc. I own a custom Taylor Edgerton 225 gyuto, a Marko 52100 workhorse gyuto, and an Anryu nakiri. Would any of these be acceptable? I will also soon have a Tinker Tank.

Is it safe to use any of my Japanese style knives to cut a pineapple? I don't want to damage the edge etc. I own a custom Taylor Edgerton 225 gyuto, a Marko 52100 workhorse gyuto, and an Anryu nakiri. Would any of these be acceptable? I will also soon have a Tinker Tank.
Yes, safe for a gyuto if using good technique, no twisting, etc. Never tried my nakiri—which I’d probably never try.
For pineapple I’ll typically grab whatever carbon gyuto I have in the kitchen, that’s sharpened.
Here’re two pineapples from this year—TF Denka and Raquin did just fine, no chips. Think I’ve taken all my gyutos through a pineapple to see how they’ll do. Some stinkier than others.
Have used my 225 Tsourkan on pineapple without prob. They’re just knives, designed to cut stuff.
C7C7E08F-B2FB-4A8C-8673-56042068F23E.jpeg

415134B1-ED87-4D48-B90F-0D8DCD11BA8E.jpeg

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, I dont think a pineapple is necessarily rough on the edge. However, the acidity will react with non-stainless carbon, so that could have an affect on patina and probably let off some smell.

acidic food probably dulls a carbon edge faster. aside from that and the patina issue, i think it's fine.

Just be sure to rinse and dry it thoroughly afterwards (the knife, not the pineapple) to remove the acid and minimise the acid related edge degradation.

Remember to rinse and wipe periodically if you’re slow at cutting (like me). I personally dig the pineapple patina. Never have a clue how it’ll look, but you’ll be sure to get some blacks and blues.

the only danger of chipping ime is a bit of funny angle board contact at the bottom of each peeling cut. That being said I’ve never had it happen, but did have to check a couple times.

Almost 7 minutes to process one pineapple? Who are you and what did you do with stringer? ;)
Never even knew a pineapple was considered heavy on the knives. Only thing I noticed was that it turned my pretty blue patinas into ugly brown.

Back